Recreational drone now illegal in most of Canada...

Montreal No fly zones... Not including buildings or people that you must stay away from or taking into consideration that you must have express consent of any property holders that you are landing or taking off from.

I guess you are one of the lucky ones not affected.
Screenshot_20170316-112819.png

I don't mind the 9km form landing strips, etc at all, I don't want to be anywhere near planes taking off & landing!
More important, there was a mention of age limit to even fly a UAV, which I think is a great ruling, but, i'd say 18yrs.old be a good start. The only issues i've personally seen, is kids of 11, maybe13 yrs.old, maybe, flying drones, & not $30-40 ones,. but, fairly large , fast machines, fly high enough to disappear.
I asked what machine is that, A walker something?
Anyway, last I saw of it & last the owner saw of it too, it went up,up out of sight, I left after 30 minutes & they were still looking for it.
These boys were into trying to drop things from their drones, & not much else
your nuts! you think it should be illegal for people under the age of 18 to fly!! thats ridiculous. sure there are the immature kids that have no respect for anyone or anything. but what about all the responsible ones that are doing good with their drones and actually making good videos and taking good pictures.

Reactions: daytona125
*sigh*
We basically went from a 'you can fly your drone anywhere but use common sense and keep it safe' to 'you can fly your drone nowhere that might be fun to fly if you are flying for recreation'

It will be REALLY interesting to see how many - ahem - aerial photography companies spring up in Canada in the next few weeks...

*sigh*
We basically went from a 'you can fly your drone anywhere but use common sense and keep it safe' to 'you can fly your drone nowhere that might be fun to fly if you are flying for recreation'

It will be REALLY interesting to see how many - ahem - aerial photography companies spring up in Canada in the next few weeks...

For Commercial use you have to get a waiver (SFOC) with specific flight plan, time, etc.
AFAIK.

I have heard the wait time is 3 months and limited to a specific flight. I am not sure so if anyone has any real world experience with this, let us know

I agree there's nothing really new in these regulations. In Canada we don't live under American regulations such as max altitude. Here it has been 90m (300ft) not 120m (400 ft). Our regulations have been and continue to be "visual line of sight". Nothing has really changed. Age was mentioned but that is addressed in SFOC (special Flight Operations Certificate) and this is almost always in regards to commercial drone usage.
I think the biggest thing is the way the regulations will be enforced. We will just have to wait and see.
Hopefully a few drone flyers with the "I don't give a f***" attitude won't make things even more difficult when the updated "newest" regulations come out later this year.
Don't get me wrong, I do NOT want more regulations and I believe in "common sense" when flying.

However... one thing I would like Canadian Minister of Transport (and former Astronaut) Marc Garneau to think about is this.....should the International Space Station be banned from orbiting above Canada??? Think about the damage and injury that could cause if it lands on a Canadian city!

I don't mind the 9km form landing strips, etc at all, I don't want to be anywhere near planes taking off & landing!
More important, there was a mention of age limit to even fly a UAV, which I think is a great ruling, but, i'd say 18yrs.old be a good start. The only issues i've personally seen, is kids of 11, maybe13 yrs.old, maybe, flying drones, & not $30-40 ones,. but, fairly large , fast machines, fly high enough to disappear.
I asked what machine is that, A walker something?
Anyway, last I saw of it & last the owner saw of it too, it went up,up out of sight, I left after 30 minutes & they were still looking for it.
These boys were into trying to drop things from their drones, & not much else
I think the minimum age should be 40 with signs of a midlife crisis and problematic quddcopter buying issues

It occurred to me this might come. I got in when I did to try to beat it... didn't beat it by much and ended up worse than I thought.

As another member said a while ago... there will be lots of video of farm land.

So discouraged.

Again, the government has made implantation without putting much thought into it. There was also a claim that the number of drone incidents were on the rise. Where ? How come I didn't hear anything about this, despite the fact I go through most drone forums everyday. Ontario had two incursions of large US drones near Ottawa and Toronto. Are they counted against me when flying my P4?

Someone has to pick up the ball on this and get the rules within reason. Most of them have to be adjusted or modified. Where are age limits? Experience credits? Credit for built in NFZ into the controller? Credit for instrument flying capable controllers and displays?

I have hundreds of safe flying hours, all flown with respect for man, beast and property. Regretfully, I cannot see how these enforceable rules are of benefit to anyone. Should have been left as recommendations.

The drone trolls are going to have a great summer.

Reactions: daytona125
Calgary area NFZ's per new restrictions. I guess you are one of the lucky ones. Congrats!
View attachment 78567

Actually, no. See all of that area overlaid with the diagonal markings? That's for all of the helipads that exist in the area. The 5NM (9km) limit now applies to those things as well.

So Canada's ceiling altitude is 270 feet now. Much lower than USA's FAA set at 400 feet.

Seems a football field and a half (450 feet) is a bit much to stay away from people, buildings, structures, vehicles, animals, etc.

So if you takeoff in your suburban neighborhood, you automatically break the rule of being 450 feet away from buildings, yet cannot fly higher than 270 feet either. Dunno, it's a gray "Gotcha law."

Fly 'em while you still got 'em - albeit maybe fly guerrilla style and don't get caught.

90 m is 300 feet, actually. (91 m or so=300 ft).

75 m is 246 feet (call it 250) for distance from everything that is precious to man (apparently)

Again, the government has made implantation without putting much thought into it. There was also a claim that the number of drone incidents were on the rise. Where ? How come I didn't hear anything about this, despite the fact I go through most drone forums everyday. Ontario had two incursions of large US drones near Ottawa and Toronto. Are they counted against me when flying my P4?

Someone has to pick up the ball on this and get the rules within reason. Most of them have to be adjusted or modified. Where are age limits? Experience credits? Credit for built in NFZ into the controller? Credit for instrument flying capable controllers and displays?

I have hundreds of safe flying hours, all flown with respect for man, beast and property. Regretfully, I cannot see how these enforceable rules are of benefit to anyone. Should have been left as recommendations.

The drone trolls are going to have a great summer.

They were influenced by the asswipes at the Canadiam Model Aeronautics Asylum who reduced all drones to the lowest common denominator as if it was 1980 RC world.

Very bad crap.

90 m is 300 feet, actually. (91 m or so=300 ft).

75 m is 246 feet (call it 250) for distance from everything that is precious to man (apparently)

(75m) from buildings, structures, vehicles, vessels, animals,

"OMG watch out for those birds, squirrels, etc..."

But anyway by the definition of this order :

model aircraft means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures. (modèle réduit d’aéronef)

just modified my aircraft, now it carry a cockroach, so since it carry a living creature it does not apply to my aircraft.

Last edited:
(75m) from buildings, structures, vehicles, vessels, animals,

"OMG watch out for those birds, squirrels, etc..."

But anyway by the definition of this order :

model aircraft means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures. (modèle réduit d’aéronef)

just modified my aircraft, now it carry a cockroach, so since it carry a living creature it does not apply to my aircraft.

Send me the courtroom transcript when available, please...

Reactions: isopro
Seeing that it is now law that you have to have your name, address and phone number on your drone (which seems to be a breach of privacy laws - never mind that it means you must have a phone number to fly a drone) I suggest that we all give our drones to:

Marc Garneau
4060 Sainte-Catherine Street West
Suite 340
Westmount, Quebec
H3Z 2Z3

Then he can start racking up the fines.

The sad part is at the news conference it didn't appear that any representatives from Industry or the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (the "officially" sanctioned hobbyist's group) were there. Just cops from Toronto and the RCMP. Actually, this only garnered a small entry on the MAAC website today. Of course MAAC airfields and events are exempted from these new laws. I want my membership money back. I think we were sold out.

I guess you could also use
Rodger Williams, President of MAAC
+1 418 564-5225
Unit 9, 5100 South Service Road,
Burlington, ON
L7L 6A5

For your contact information as well

I've been composing (in my noggin) the letter to the Hon. Astronaut for the last few hours, CC to Mr. Williams, [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator:
For Commercial use you have to get a waiver (SFOC) with specific flight plan, time, etc.
AFAIK.

I have heard the wait time is 3 months and limited to a specific flight. I am not sure so if anyone has any real world experience with this, let us know

It's supposed to be 21 days to get an SFOC. I'm preparing one and trying to slip in as much leeway as possible as to dates, places and equipment. Apparently once you've been through a few you can then get something of a more generally applicable SFOC. I'm hoping the fact that I have a commercial pilot's license and haven't actually killed anyone yet may get me some leverage. Wishful thinking. And after the letter I'm about to send the Hon. Astronaut I'll probably end up under scrutiny from the weasels at TC.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94