Links for new Canadian rules effective June 1st 2019

I passed the basic exam fairly easily.. planningon taking the advanced... thinking a about taking the flight reviewer exam too

You won't find the Advanced exam so easy.
I have been around aircraft and aviation for years as well as being a contributing journalist with Naval Aviation News in Washington,DC., and I will say this exam is very tough.
First time I attempted it, I received 74%.
There are technical terms as well as meteorological terms and situations that would hard test any experienced pilot.
There are questions on the Advanced exam that have ZERO to do with the safe and responsible operation of your Phantom.

And there are at least 5 questions on this exam that 90% of people would never know........it would seem these questions are there only to tip the balance against a successful outcome.
A friend of mine with over 35 years of corporate jet time took the test and scored 76%.

The pass mark is 80%.

It's tough.

So I just wrote and passed the Advanced Exam, thinking I would be good to go to perform advanced operations.... BUZZ.. WRONG.... Now when I look at my qualifications online, it says that I now need to have a flight review done by a drone flight school, at the cost of $199.

So I just wrote and passed the Advanced Exam, thinking I would be good to go to perform advanced operations.... BUZZ.. WRONG.... Now when I look at my qualifications online, it says that I now need to have a flight review done by a drone flight school, at the cost of $199.
Correct, the prices will vary from school to school but yes. Also your aircraft needs to be SAFE certified by the manufacturer, currently, none of DJI's aircraft have been.

Correct, the prices will vary from school to school but yes. Also your aircraft needs to be SAFE certified by the manufacturer, currently, none of DJI's aircraft have been.
To date, our flight coordinator's contact at DJI has told him that they have no plans to self declare SAFE certification of any of the Phantom, Mavic, or Inspire series UAVs, primarily because Canadian sales of these models is less than 1% of worldwide sales, and Canadian certification would require unique documentation (from the rest of the world) in each box, and it is just not worth their while. This will mean that none of these will be allowed to be flown in controlled airspace. While I haven't confirmed this, I was told that the cheapest UAV presently on Transport Canada's approved list that has been certified is $20,000.

Last edited:
Beware that if your a Non Canadian resident you must have Special Flight Operation Certificate ! This is not apparent anywhere in the guidelines UNTIL you go to REGISTER your drone with Transport Canada. This is for all non-Canadian recreational pilots. This is a difficult burdensome process that can not be done online. Again, non-Canadian citizens are not told about this until one goes to register each drone. Terrible example of Government over reach, another way to kill the hobby in Canada. If anyone disagrees - please reply! As someone who fly's in Canada a lot, I'd be happy if I'm missing something and am wrong.

As far as I understand for a craft registration you have to be a Canadian citizen in order to register...
Transport Canada has NO study guide, all the literature they list is about 600 pages worth!
I passed my basic exam and like others said, wow many many questions that are not required knowledge for recreational pilots.
Check you tube, a few guy's will list what you should study, believe me some questions you will take a educated guess, others a,b,c,d...pick one any one.
As far as I see it we have too many F ups that flew around airports and peed off too many people and now they have the tools to punish them.
Advanced operations!!!!!... You better have deep pockets because the crafts they list as certified cost more than a small car to a Porsche.

Some good news:
DJI Drones Comply With New Transport Canada Requirements For Advanced Operations

From the press release:
Transport Canada announced its new regulatory framework for certain types of advanced civilian drone operations in January, requiring the use of drones whose manufacturer has declared compliance with reliability and operational characteristics under a safety assurance framework. DJI’s compliant drones are the M600 Series, M200 Series, M200 V2 Series, Inspire 2, Mavic 2 series, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Phantom 4 series and Spark.

Reactions: 3rdof5
That is good news!

i guess rules like this one are why dji pushed for nfz software so it would have kinks ironed out when countries made these laws and dji would be the only game in town so to speak. i dont know the rules that canada put in place but dji cant be mad that p3 models are excluded. coincedence?

i guess rules like this one are why dji pushed for nfz software so it would have kinks ironed out when countries made these laws and dji would be the only game in town so to speak. i dont know the rules that canada put in place but dji cant be mad that p3 models are excluded. coincedence?
I'm guessing the only reason the P3 was excluded is it doesnt have any obstacle avoidance. Although I don't know for sure that all the included models do have it.

They don't influence anything... It is up to them to submit which models they have that meet the criteria outlined by TC... The P3 may meet all the requirements, but they didn't want to submit that model. No one is forcing them to declare anything.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20