Rebuilding/Upgrading a Phantom 3 Standard.

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what the alternatives might be to replacing parts in a Phantom. In particular a P3S. Since that is what I won.

I am not an expert on the components of Quads. I do know there are a zillion components out there. Used by guys to build there own quads.

If I wanted to change out the motors or the ESC with non DJI parts? Can I do that? Or would it have to be all or none??

I like my Phantom, but fixing it with DJI parts is expensive. I have a defective board in my Camera/gimbal assembly. I cannot buy the PCB. I have to buy the entire unit. $250 or more. Maybe a bad example but you get my point.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Bill

That would be quite a chore and frankly not worth the time and effort. As you well know these days you cannot simply replace a "defective" part on a PCB that much any more. Very few people have the equipment, schematics and what is needed to do that because so many things are proprietary and you can't really get the drawings to do so. Once upon a time you could call a TV repairman to get your TV fixed. Now days, just get a new one. Sad actually.

I
If I wanted to change out the motors or the ESC with non DJI parts? Can I do that? Or would it have to be all or none??
Most of the discrete components you can replace yourselves, like motors, antennas, compass, LED's, you can get them from DJI. However don't try to replace individual surface-mount components on these high density multi-layer boards, it's not worth the trouble.

That would be quite a chore and frankly not worth the time and effort. As you well know these days you cannot simply replace a "defective" part on a PCB that much any more. Very few people have the equipment, schematics and what is needed to do that because so many things are proprietary and you can't really get the drawings to do so. Once upon a time you could call a TV repairman to get your TV fixed. Now days, just get a new one. Sad actually.

I only meant to get a fully populated PCB. You cannot buy just a board from DJI. I understand about SMT and such. Way beyond my old capabilities. But I can tear the board off and replace it if I had one.

Thanks
Bill

Most of the discrete components you can replace yourselves, like motors, antennas, compass, LED's, you can get them from DJI. However don't try to replace individual surface-mount components on these high density multi-layer boards, it's not worth the trouble.

I only meant to get a fully populated PCB. You cannot buy just a board from DJI. I understand about SMT and such. Way beyond my old capabilities. But I can tear the board off and replace it if I had one.

Thanks
Bill

I am trying to figure out what the alternatives might be to replacing parts in a Phantom. In particular a P3S. Since that is what I won.

I am not an expert on the components of Quads. I do know there are a zillion components out there. Used by guys to build there own quads.

I like my Phantom, but fixing it with DJI parts is expensive. I have a defective board in my Camera/gimbal assembly. I cannot buy the PCB. I have to buy the entire unit. $250 or more. Maybe a bad example but you get my point.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Bill
I just bought a refurbished p3s from newegg for $350 and came with a $20 gift card. You could probably part out your broken drone for $200-250 and just buy a new one for less than the repair.

I just bought a refurbished p3s from newegg for $350 and came with a $20 gift card. You could probably part out your broken drone for $200-250 and just buy a new one for less than the repair.

I like that idea. That makes a lot of sense

Thanks
Bill

maybe post if someone wrecked a p3s and is parting it out you could get the part you need. Fly Dawg is right though, gone are the days of repair now days you replace, it is pretty sad. I used to repair boards for electronics test and swap components out even SMT. At one time you could buy populated PCB and just solder it in or Plug and Play. Companies making you replace parts you don't need to get the one you do is ridiculous and IMHO bad business practice. many are doing it though. I bought my P3s new for $435 so if I subtract $250 for the whole cam set up that should mean I can buy the drone without the camera for $185 including battery, extra props, cell phone holder and controller right ? I bet that's not the case though.

Reactions: ArmyVet
maybe post if someone wrecked a p3s and is parting it out you could get the part you need. Fly Dawg is right though, gone are the days of repair now days you replace, it is pretty sad. I used to repair boards for electronics test and swap components out even SMT. At one time you could buy populated PCB and just solder it in or Plug and Play. Companies making you replace parts you don't need to get the one you do is ridiculous and IMHO bad business practice. many are doing it though. I bought my P3s new for $435 so if I subtract $250 for the whole cam set up that should mean I can buy the drone without the camera for $185 including battery, extra props, cell phone holder and controller right ? I bet that's not the case though.

I like your math. Points out the problem. I will try to find what I need. In the mean time, I will start researching how to build my own drone from a kit. That may help me in the long run.

Some day my P3S will have all "foreign guts" haha

On ebay I saw a brand new P3s that was flyable without camera/gimble or remote or battery for $199. just a couple hours ago.He even made a video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iancognito87
On ebay I saw a brand new P3s that was flyable without camera/gimble or remote or battery for $199. just a couple hours ago.He even made a video.

Thats not too shabby. Are you sure that is not the starting bid price??

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl