Raw video critique

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to this site and new to the drone world. I recently purchased a DJI Phantom 4 drone and have flown only a handful of times. I've taken some raw video with my P4 and I feel like the video I'm taking (so far in mostly bright and sunny conditions) are lacking in saturation? Not sure if this is something to adjust in editing or if it's something I need to do as far as my video settings or a filter for the camera. Any critique on the video itself as well as any tips for improving video saturation/quality would be greatly appreciated.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice video.

I'm working on a similar vid right now. I might have something posted tonight.

I'm currently experimenting with an ND8 filter in bright sun over water. I then throw in some color during post production via an app. Shooting in 1080 manual @ 30 fps. I use the EV meter to set the shutter speed so I get -0.3. I have the style set to -1 on all three settings. I use auto WB and have the color set to D-log. Experiment with D-log, Cina-log, and none. These three are pretty close, but it seems d-log will highlight dark areas better.

I went ahead and uploaded a clip that might make it in the final vid. Tell me what you think about the exposure and saturation.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
That looks awesome! Night and day difference to my video. My video was shot in 1080p at 60fps. I've really not messed with the video settings at all other than selecting the video quality. I'll have to look at them more in depth and compare them to yours. Would you recommend the ND8 filter? I plan on doing quite a bit of footage above and around bodies of water.

Thanks for the video comparison!

I have very little experience with filters. I have, however, done tons of research on them. I actually feel you could get better results with a ND16 or possibly a 32? They sell 64's!!! My set I ordered was on the cheap side and came with a polarized lenses and a ND4. I have yet to use the other two. The basic rule of thumb behind a filter is the brighter it is, the higher the number, or more tinted the filter is. There is a lot of exposure in a waterfall in the middle of the day and bringing the fstop up with these filters really help. They let more information hit the sensor.

I just watched my vid again. Focus on the main water fall. It's over exposed. All though not too bad givin the situation, it could be better. So using a ND16 or even a 32 would help this, but could start to darken the shadows too much.

This is the kind of stuff that makes photography so much fun!

You call it fun but it's currently my headache lol. I enjoy getting the different angles of the shots over the balances between the filters, Fstop, WB, and that sort of stuff although I'm sure over time I'll get much better at it and learn to enjoy it more.

I think you've got your video dialed in. It would be interesting to see exactly what an ND16 would do rather than an ND8.

Thanks for all of the information.. I think I'm going to have to look into a set of filters and plunge into the camera setting a little further.

Kyle, try setting your camera settings to vivid to increase saturation more. ND8 and ND16 filters will also help to slow down the shutter speed for a less jittery motion during yaw turns.

Your vid looks good Kyle. It just lacks some color grading imo man. Get good ND filters like Polar Pro. Essential filters are 4,8,16, and 32. Your color quality won't change much at all between using all of these filters. They are only to get your exposure stopped down so you can use shutter speed that gives you a buttery smoothness to your vid. This shutter speed is always double your frame rate. So if your shooting 30fps, then your shutter speed should be 1/60th of a sec. A polarizer is only for shooting shinier subjects that have some glare btw. And it's gonna have to be adjusted every time you turn to a little diff angle. Color and saturation come from your color grading in your editing software. If your not using a good software yet, then it would prob be best if you shot your color setting on none. I get pretty vibrant saturation using only that. But I do add some saturation and contrast in my cheap software to help it some too. I'm getting ready to switch to Adobe Premier Pro in a few weeks so I'll prob be experimenting with D-Log color setting some as I will be able to make it look really awesome with more precise color grading! Hope this helps some Kyle. Happy flying!

Nice video.

I'm working on a similar vid right now. I might have something posted tonight.

I'm currently experimenting with an ND8 filter in bright sun over water. I then throw in some color during post production via an app. Shooting in 1080 manual @ 30 fps. I use the EV meter to set the shutter speed so I get -0.3. I have the style set to -1 on all three settings. I use auto WB and have the color set to D-log. Experiment with D-log, Cina-log, and none. These three are pretty close, but it seems d-log will highlight dark areas better.

I went ahead and uploaded a clip that might make it in the final vid. Tell me what you think about the exposure and saturation.

Super cool vid man! Where is this incredible spot?

image.jpeg
Super cool vid man! Where is this incredible spot?
This is Willamete Falls in Oregon City, Oregon. It's about 5 mins from my house and I love shooting here. I'm working on a pretty cool video right now, but it definitely won't be finished anytime soon:). Here's a still I got a few weeks ago.

Your setting, ND , white balance and color will all depend on what you are shooting. That is why movie producers always use several cameras to film scenes.

If you tilt the gimbal down a bit you will notice a need for a different setting.

No vivid unless you plan on not color correcting your footage. As of 2016, built in drone camera sensors and lenses still lack a lot of depth.

View attachment 58306
This is Willamete Falls in Oregon City, Oregon. It's about 5 mins from my house and I love shooting here. I'm working on a pretty cool video right now, but it definitely won't be finished anytime soon:). Here's a still I got a few weeks ago.

I agree that it looks like a high ISO and some funky color grading but I LOVE the night for day stuff that the P4 does quite well. This looks sort of surreal and I dig it. Nice work.

the colour is bit grainy and you can see the red dot from the photos, did you using a high ISO? still looking great though ..
I am still struggling as well, when i am taking photos from my drone.[/QUOTE
the colour is bit grainy and you can see the red dot from the photos, did you using a high ISO? still looking great though ..
I am still struggling as well, when i am taking photos from my drone.

There's no ISO here. It's a t 100. This pic is way over edited. It's a fun pic I like to show. The grain you see is from editing. But thanks for the compliment's guys! Keep em up!

Hello all,

I am new to this site and new to the drone world. I recently purchased a DJI Phantom 4 drone and have flown only a handful of times. I've taken some raw video with my P4 and I feel like the video I'm taking (so far in mostly bright and sunny conditions) are lacking in saturation? Not sure if this is something to adjust in editing or if it's something I need to do as far as my video settings or a filter for the camera. Any critique on the video itself as well as any tips for improving video saturation/quality would be greatly appreciated.

So now the phantom 4 shoots Raw video??? Since when? Have I missed something?

I think he means unedited etc
This is what I understood too but I think its better to call things by their name to avoid confusing people. Raw footage would be more appropriate. Raw video is not available (yet) on phantoms... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31