Question regarding Airports/Helipads

You have to be more specific than that since the rule is 5 miles for hobbyists. Whether you want to measure your mileage from the center of the airport or from the edge of the airport is another question... I would say the center since all these circles we see on the air maps are from the center.

Point taken, I was erring on the side of what is the closest that it might be.

So, if I am within the 5 mile radius, as a hobbyist am I allowed to fly as long as I notify them? If yes, then can I use the B4UFly app to submit my intention to fly, or must I call them?

Yes.

I believe the app method of contact is to be used by commercial pilots (e.g. with a Part 107 certificate). I would initiate a two way conversation with them at least the first time. A phone call would work nicely. I don't use B4UFLY so I don't know about submitting anything with that app. I prefer airmap. You may be able to set up an agreement with them so that you can only text them or something after the first time.

Reactions: Matt Shields
From the FAAs own UAS webpage....
Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.

So, if I am within the 5 mile radius, as a hobbyist am I allowed to fly as long as I notify them? If yes, then can I use the B4UFly app to submit my intention to fly, or must I call them?

B4UFLY does not have the capabilities to submit / notify. AirMap.io does (for certain airports) but sometimes it does not show correct info regarding which airports are needed to notify. So even if it does say it can notify, you've got to be sure that it's doing it for the right airports. I do not know that AirMap actually gets an acknowledgement from airport and passes that to you. If not, then how would you know that a notification took place? Might was well shout your notification into the wind facing the airport.

Note: Just because you notify does not automatically mean it's ok to fly. An example: If I call a Class C airport and tell them I'm one mile away and going up to 399 feet, directly in line of a runway, they have every right to object and if I do not observe their objections, then I would be endangering the national airspace system. A big no-no. Now you might say that this example is obviously extreme and that any sane person would know not to fly. I only wish. However, the right of objection is 100% with the FAA / airport / control tower. Go against their wishes? Not me.

I use B4UFLY to see WHAT / WHERE and AirMap to get ph#'s.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl