quality of pictures taken by the Litchi app worst than the one taken by DJI. Different Aperture/Shutter speed/Hyperfocal distance/Light value

Reaction score
Hi,

I have flown my Phantom 4 pro over a coastal marshy area first with the DJI app and then with the Litchi app. Still pictures taken with the Litchi app are much worst than with the DJI app. I cannot see 1 foot ground control point with the litchi app, while I can see them with DJI. Same elevation, verified by the size of the rectangular field of view on the ground. Not too different atmospheric conditions and lighting. The metadata file is here attached, and the following entries have different value:

Aperture
Shutter speed
Hyperfocal distance
Light value

Also the pixel size is different, but that is normal because the litchi pictures were taken at 3:2 while DJI pictures were taken at 4:3, and 4:3 is just a cropping of the pictures taken by the camera sensor at 3:2. Should I change somehow those values manually in the litchi app in order to match the values in the DJI app? Do you know where I can find these settings?

Thank you
Best

DJI_P4P_METADATA.PNG

Attachments

• metadata_phantom4.jpeg
    metadata_phantom4.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 296
I have flown my Phantom 4 pro over a coastal marshy area first with the DJI app and then with the Litchi app. Still pictures taken with the Litchi app are much worst than with the DJI app. I cannot see 1 foot ground control point with the litchi app, while I can see them with DJI. Same elevation, verified by the size of the rectangular field of view on the ground. Not too different atmospheric conditions and lighting. The metadata file is here attached, and the following entries have different value:
Aperture, Shutter speed, Hyperfocal distance, Light value
It's difficult to understand exactly what the issue is from your description.
Litchi or DJI Go shouldn't make any difference and both are quite capable of recording good images.
What are you trying to do?
You mention a GCP which suggests mapping, but your shutter speeds are around 1/6 sec so it seems you are almost flying in the dark.
The difference in settings isn't important. WHen the aperture is changed, that changes the hyperfocal distance and a change in shutter speed is needed to maintain exposure.

Also the pixel size is different, but that is normal because the litchi pictures were taken at 3:2 while DJI pictures were taken at 4:3, and 4:3 is just a cropping of the pictures taken by the camera sensor at 3:2. Should I change somehow those values manually in the litchi app in order to match the values in the DJI app? Do you know where I can find these settings?
You are correct that 4:3 aspect ratio is just 3:2 with a little chopped off the top and bottom.
But the pixel size should be identical.
What makes you think they aren't?

It might be helpful if you could attach two actual images rather than their exif info.

I had varying results with Litchi, too. Turned out they changed their controls a bit with the new Android release, and the app was in AE Lock mode. This was locking the exposure settings upon my first picture, then when I flew into different light, the quality was horrible. Probably not your issue, but worth checking.

Hi, I am working with DroneOnCoast on this project. We were flying at 225 feet in both cases (DJI and Litchi). DroneOnCoast will upload pictures, he is coming back from the field soon. I am walking with him on this project. We are taking still pictures of coastal features and we rectify them in ARCGIS by using the GCP. The cropping thing is correct not need to worry about that, I asked DJI, 4:3 pictures are a crop of 3:2 so you have less pixels, you can see that here ( DJI Phantom 4 Pro – Specs, Tutorials & Guides – DJI ) in the specs under "Image Size ". could you articulate a little more on the shutters speed? Both were under partially cloudy days, mild sun, all camera settings were automatic, why do you think the values shutter speed are off, are you saying they are too high as if it was in a darker day? I do not much about camera settings and cameras in general, so any help would be appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31