Prop balancing.

How can you tell if it's at the hub? I have a Dubro balancer, not too familiar with the finer points of it...
There are videos on hub balancing and it may also be in the DuBro instructions.
Balance the props first on a vertical plain.
Then correct the hub balance if the prop favors a horizontal plain. As Steve Aikens said above, you can add nail polish to the lighter (upper) side of the hub to compensate.

There are videos on hub balancing and it may also be in the DuBro instructions.
Balance the props first on a vertical plain.
Then correct the hub balance if the prop favors a horizontal plain. As Steve Aikens said above, you can add nail polish to the lighter (upper) side of the hub to compensate.

Cool beans... I'll check it out... thanks!! :)

There must be too much resistance in the wheels of your balancer. Most DJI props need a little weight added, but I haven't seen a really bad one yet.

Nope, no resistance at all. The props are perfect (at least the one I have gotten)

Hi all
I'm new to drones got my first a P3P a few weeks ago, have to say I love it, I used to fly a lot of fixed wing so understand about prop balancing, just a thought is there a certain life expectancy with props, I'm thinking more about wear on the threads with taking them on and off.
Thanks
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi all
I'm new to drones got my first a P3P a few weeks ago, have to say I love it, I used to fly a lot of fixed wing so understand about prop balancing, just a thought is there a certain life expectancy with props, I'm thinking more about wear on the threads with taking them on and off.
Thanks
Matt
Because I've seen on this forum a good number of crashes that appear to be related to props flying off, I seldom take mine off. I even bought a case where they can stay on. I'm sure that the internal composite prop threads will eventually reach the end of their service life or get cross threaded. So I just check their hold once in awhile. Seems (in my case) if they're on well to begin with, they don't loosen. If one ever gets scraped, I'll replace it.
But, if you are constantly taking them off and on, better keep a close eye on their internal threads.

I've seen several video's on balancing. And they all recommended taking material off of the bottom side of the prop. Why is this? It seems that removing material from the bottom(Inside) could lead to changing the pitch of the prop. Wouldn't it be better to remove from the top(outside) since that is the side that doesn't provide any lift? Removing from the inside seems that you could end up with one blade producing more lift than the other on the same prop and reducing the overall lift and efficiency of that prop. Or would it be that the esc would increase the speed of that motor to maintain the same lift as the other motors?

Well, lift is produced from the top side of the prop, not the bottom. Sanding the top sides would decrease lift, or make it turbulent depending on the area sanded.
60b29902b02d7aafbc9bc26323defd68.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Dounin Front
Well, lift is produced from the top side of the prop, not the bottom. Sanding the top sides would decrease lift, or make it turbulent depending on the area sanded.

Thanks Captain. Guess I was thinking in terms of boat props. Jeez, noob mistake.:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: Now it makes sense.

No problem. Most people think the bottom side of the prop holds the aircraft "up" on a rotor craft. I fly turboprops and jets for a living. I'm a noob too when it comes to the phantom.....and learn something new about it every day. And a balanced prop is a happy prop. [emoji41]

I've seen several video's on balancing. And they all recommended taking material off of the bottom side of the prop. Why is this? It seems that removing material from the bottom(Inside) could lead to changing the pitch of the prop. Wouldn't it be better to remove from the top(outside) since that is the side that doesn't provide any lift? Removing from the inside seems that you could end up with one blade producing more lift than the other on the same prop and reducing the overall lift and efficiency of that prop. Or would it be that the esc would increase the speed of that motor to maintain the same lift as the other motors?
Others can explain the airfoil theory, but I prefer balancing a prop by adding a small piece of electrical tape to the underside of blade needing weight. Electrical tape works well because it can be easily repositioned up or down the blade without leaving residue. Clear tape is harder to move (for me) plus my blades are black anyway. I'm just not comfortable with sanding, scraping or adding nail polish to my props. So far I've only had one prop where the hub was so far out of balance that I decided to toss it. Hubs are harder to balance because of the smaller area to work in.

Reactions: Doink
60b29902b02d7aafbc9bc26323defd68.jpg

Dont really agree with your statement. Its the higher pressure from below the rotor that pushes up creating the lift. Thats why on a chopper you see the rotors cone as they speed up and begin to provide enough lift for the craft to lift off. Planes and helos are not sucked up, they are pushed up from the bottom. Your illustration does not really apply here. You have pictured a symmetrical airfoil . DJI props are not symmetrical. They are fixed pitch under cambered airfoils. Sanding the props to balance does not decrease lift as long as it is done evenly across the blade. It just makes it thinner. Best not to remove prop material to balance on already thin blades. Tape will work fine on light side. Symmetrical airfoils provide no lift at zero angle of attack. They are best suited for wing design of aircraft that can fly inverted and rotors that have to operate in negative angle of attack as well as positive.

Last edited:
I agree with your point on symmetrical airfoils. I was just illustrating general lift principles. The phantom props are far from symmetrical. My KingAir B200 turboprop wouldn't fly too well with airfoil shaped props. But, I understand your point.

I agree with your point on symmetrical airfoils. I was just illustrating general lift principles. The phantom props are far from symmetrical. My KingAir B200 turboprop wouldn't fly too well with airfoil shaped props. But, I understand your point.

When I was a kid many years ago and interested in how airplanes fly....I understood how flat bottom wings provided lift but symmetrical wings had me baffled until I begain to understand about angle of attack and how it can provide lift. A flat plank can provide lift but not very efficient.

So, detecting when a hub is out of balance is something I figured out on my own. What the video doesn't show is what to do about it.

I fixed two props with imbalanced hubs by adding a slight amount of epoxy to the light sides. However, I wasn't really happy with this because you have to be a master spackler to get the epoxy on smooth enough that it doesn't create a rough surface. I sanded that surface down to make it smoother, but then, you're removing the correcting weight.

So would anyone like to comment on how to actually balance a hub after detecting an imbalance?

Reactions: skyhighdiver
What the video doesn't show is what to do about it.
I found that quite interesting too. Did he forget to mention it? :)

I know some people use clear nail polish. I personally have never balanced my hubs, but I'd go with nail polish if I did. It's clear, smooth, easy to apply, and dries fairly quickly.

Reactions: skyhighdiver

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav