Preferred DJI Go App Version

Reaction score
Hello all, I joined the DJI community about a month ago with the introduction of the Phantom 3 Standard to my RC collection. So far it takes great looking still images and video, however the DJI Go app can be a royal pain in the ***.

I see many people complaining about the updates that DJI pushes out, some complaining about loss in functionality or restricting features it already had and making them worse. I've also noticed people complaining about video downlink issues with the newest app.

I was hoping someone could advise what the best/most stable versions of the DJI Go App, and the quadcoper firmware is for the Standard version of the P3. I have nothing to compare to, since I upgraded the firmware and downloaded the app right after receiving the aircraft in the mail, however some of my experiences have been sub-par to what I would consider 'fully functional', sometimes I even ask myself why the hell this thing costs ~$500 but has so many intermittent issues (random compass errors regardless of location - also note this issue has been very intermittent and the biggest pain in my *** when trying to fly; trouble connecting to the RC wifi, or it will connect and then disconnect before take-off, and I am unable to reconnect after prompting me for the password, which I haven't changed, error setting home point, etc.).

My video downlink is almost worthless, besides getting a glimpse of what my camera is seeing every 5-10 seconds, but it is no where near live feed. It doesn't seem to matter how far away the aircraft is from the controller/phone. It's to the point where I question if my device is faulty.

I'm wondering if there is a way to roll back the firmware on my aircraft, (as well as RC if that would be necessary) and also if there is a preferred or "stable" (I would hope all releases are stable although it doesn't sound like that's the case from other DJI owners) DJI Go app version that would maybe result in a better overall experience. I have an iPhone 5S by the way, that is jailbroken so I should be able to roll back versions.

I understand video lag when I'm like 500m or 1000m away, but when I'm hovering 20 ft away from me and it's still choppy as hell, it makes me think something is defective.

Welcome to the forum!

You got a lot of questions, and I got a lot of info that I think can clear up a few of your problems.

So I am going to start with the video lag / choppy, check out DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help and look at mobile device fixes.
I am type slow, so I will send a lot of links.

What I'm recommending is turning off video cache (if its on) on your mobile.
Your 5s may have to many things running, maybe more if its been JB?

Your signal coming from the Phantom is in the WiFi signals, so routers / WiFi signals are competing or degrading your performance. Your WiFi connection for your phone is created at the remote not the Phantom.

I wouldn't change any firmware or app versions yet, there doesn't really to be a fit all / fix all.
a lot of (Hear Say)
:rolleyes:

I will be back, so will many others.
;)

Rod

Reactions: Jake H
Welcome to the forum!

You got a lot of questions, and I got a lot of info that I think can clear up a few of your problems.

So I am going to start with the video lag / choppy, check out DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help and look at mobile device fixes.
I am type slow, so I will send a lot of links.

What I'm recommending is turning off video cache (if its on) on your mobile.
Your 5s may have to many things running, maybe more if its been JB?

Your signal coming from the Phantom is in the WiFi signals, so routers / WiFi signals are competing or degrading your performance. Your WiFi connection for your phone is created at the remote not the Phantom.

I wouldn't change any firmware or app versions yet, there doesn't really to be a fit all / fix all.
a lot of (Hear Say)
:rolleyes:

I will be back, so will many others.
;)

Rod
Thanks, out of frustration I downgraded the Phantom firmware to 1.5.7.0+ or whatever the last one was. Seems to be getting better performance on the video downlink, although still experiencing intermittent compass errors.

have you tried running on a non-jailbroken device to see if it makes a difference at all?
Not yet but I will be trying tomorrow when I hit up Minneapolis and get some US Bank stadium shots. Going to use my sister's iPad air.

Reactions: Suhail78
I use an iPad air on my P4, and it works well, just make sure all other apps are closed, and DJI Go is the only thing running.

Reactions: Jake H
Thanks, out of frustration I downgraded the Phantom firmware to 1.5.7.0+ or whatever the last one was. Seems to be getting better performance on the video downlink, although still experiencing intermittent compass errors.
I will say, I was out flying my drone earlier tonight, and I noticed like 15 wifi hotspots in my backyard from neighbors, 15 ft from my launch point. However I have flown other places with (what I imagine to be) zero interference and still get compass errors and bad FPV. Really psyched to see if the firmware downgrade and a few other tweaks I made made the issue less noticeable.

Just got back to see whats up, so on a android there is WiFi analyzer from farproc, makes me wonder if it could load on a JB iPhone, Glad somebody else throwing you some stuff.

Rod

In a hurry again, but @Meta4 seems to be with guy with the best info..
Compass problems.., Go with this..
Little advice

Rod

Hello all, I joined the DJI community about a month ago with the introduction of the Phantom 3 Standard to my RC collection. So far it takes great looking still images and video, however the DJI Go app can be a royal pain in the ***.

I see many people complaining about the updates that DJI pushes out, some complaining about loss in functionality or restricting features it already had and making them worse. I've also noticed people complaining about video downlink issues with the newest app.

I was hoping someone could advise what the best/most stable versions of the DJI Go App, and the quadcoper firmware is for the Standard version of the P3. I have nothing to compare to, since I upgraded the firmware and downloaded the app right after receiving the aircraft in the mail, however some of my experiences have been sub-par to what I would consider 'fully functional', sometimes I even ask myself why the hell this thing costs ~$500 but has so many intermittent issues (random compass errors regardless of location - also note this issue has been very intermittent and the biggest pain in my *** when trying to fly; trouble connecting to the RC wifi, or it will connect and then disconnect before take-off, and I am unable to reconnect after prompting me for the password, which I haven't changed, error setting home point, etc.).

My video downlink is almost worthless, besides getting a glimpse of what my camera is seeing every 5-10 seconds, but it is no where near live feed. It doesn't seem to matter how far away the aircraft is from the controller/phone. It's to the point where I question if my device is faulty.

I'm wondering if there is a way to roll back the firmware on my aircraft, (as well as RC if that would be necessary) and also if there is a preferred or "stable" (I would hope all releases are stable although it doesn't sound like that's the case from other DJI owners) DJI Go app version that would maybe result in a better overall experience. I have an iPhone 5S by the way, that is jailbroken so I should be able to roll back versions.

I understand video lag when I'm like 500m or 1000m away, but when I'm hovering 20 ft away from me and it's still choppy as hell, it makes me think something is defective.

When I first started with my P3S I used my iphone 6. Video was perfect. Zero lag. I then adapted my controller to hold ipad mini (original version) and the video has very bad lag and is choppy. This makes me think the mini isn't fast enough to process the video feed. I have even done a full wipe reset and only have the go app installed but still laggy. I like the bigger screen but hate the lag. I may go back to the 6 or buy a newer ipad.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic