Phantom 4 stress cracks... Should I be worried

Reaction score
IMG_0584.JPG
IMG_0585.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0587.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG
I've only had about 50 flight on my phantom 4 pro, but I use sports mode a lot with it, I noticed these cracks yesterday and they're only on the back two wings, the crack on the back right wing made it so that the heat vent is loose and can shake around inside, I have DJI care activated for this drone, but I don't know if I want to spend $70 to get a replacement and have to re register my drone to the FAA too. Would it void the warranty if I just globbed some epoxy inside it, or should I just not worry about it until it gets worse?

and have to re register my drone to the FAA too
Are you flying as a hobbyist? If so, you no longer need to register with the FAA. If you want to use your registration anyhow, all you need to do is apply the same FAA registration number to all of your drones. There's no need to register again with the FAA each time you get a new drone.

Would it void the warranty if I just globbed some epoxy inside it
Disassembling your Phantom could void parts of the warranty. If you're planning on sending it in to be repaired under warranty, you probably shouldn't open it (just in case).

Yea, I'm flying as a hobbyist, and I was not aware that I do not need to register again, but I still really don't want to spend $70 and get the entire thing replaced if those cracks aren't going to hurt the drone, I might just blob some epoxy inside the cracks without opening it, I was wondering if that would void it, I've heard many people getting whole new refurbished drones when they send it in for repairs under warranty too, so I don't really know what I should do

I might just blob some epoxy inside the cracks without opening it
That would be safer than trying to open the shell and repair it from the inside. I'm not sure if it'll stop the shell from cracking though.

I was wondering if that would void it
I doubt it since they would be able to clearly see it was cracked before the epoxy was applied. If you have any doubts though, you might want to contact DJI support and get it in writing.

What I was wondering if the cracks even pose a serious threat or is it just aesthetic damage because I really don't care what the drone looks like, as long as it flys and does it's job

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
easy job

Ok so I sent my drone in to DJI to fix the stress cracks, My Drone its under a year old and has developed stress cracks just like on the picture on this thread, I was very surprise to see that DJI does not want to warranty my product, This is what they sent me back..

Dear Customer,

You repair service of Phantom 4 Pro has been quoted by our repair team. Please refer to the invoice below and complete your payment via paypal.

Invoice

Customer:
Case No:
DJI Care Balance:
Quote Date: 08-21-17
Remarks: Dear Customer, Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit After-Sales Service Policies - DJI -DJI North America

Item Quantity Unit Price(USD) Total Price(USD)
Pitch-axis Motor 1 12.00 12.00
Middle Frame 1 20.00 20.00
Upper Cover (Logo) V03 1 6.00 6.00
Right Landing Gear Module 1 10.00 10.00
Phantom 4 2312S Motor 2 18.00 36.00
Left Landing Gear Module 1 10.00 10.00
Repair Service Fee 2 65.00/H 130.00
Freight: 0.00
Total Amount: 224.00
DJI Care deduction: 0.00
Total Payment: 224.00

I have never crashed the drone, I can supply all the data if they want it,
Not fair, Not when I have also purchased an Inspire 1 and a Phathom 3 advanced.
I just don't get this company anymore....

Ok so I sent my drone in to DJI to fix the stress cracks, My Drone its under a year old and has developed stress cracks just like on the picture on this thread, I was very surprise to see that DJI does not want to warranty my product, This is what they sent me back..

Dear Customer,

You repair service of Phantom 4 Pro has been quoted by our repair team. Please refer to the invoice below and complete your payment via paypal.

Invoice

Customer:
Case No:
DJI Care Balance:
Remarks: Dear Customer, Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit After-Sales Service Policies - DJI -DJI North America

Well I would not be accepting that response based on your information. Seems like a generic response from DJI and I would be on the phone escalating your case and don't accept no for an answer. Over here in Australia we have additional consumer rights in addition to the product warranty, and I have read quite a few cases similar to yours where DJI has had to honour warranty repairs/replacement if the criteria for a claim has been met. This also includes items outside of the warranty period

Well I would not be accepting that response based on your information. Seems like a generic response from DJI and I would be on the phone escalating your case and don't accept no for an answer. Over here in Australia we have additional consumer rights in addition to the product warranty, and I have read quite a few cases similar to yours where DJI has had to honour warranty repairs/replacement if the criteria for a claim has been met. This also includes items outside of the warranty period
After I got out work, I called DJI on the phone and the lady that answer said, " she was going to talk to a supervisor and will be in touch via Email " Will see what happens......
To be continue

After I got out work, I called DJI on the phone and the lady that answer said, " she was going to talk to a supervisor and will be in touch via Email " Will see what happens......
To be continue
Well that's a start, I'm always firm but pleasant when dealing with product disputes. Despise being ripped off when I'm able to present a valid argument with supporting documentation.

What I was wondering if the cracks even pose a serious threat or is it just aesthetic damage because I really don't care what the drone looks like, as long as it flys and does it's job

If those cracks get all the way around that lower arm the motor will have no mechanical support and will put serious strain on the top shell. The frame NEEDS to have top and bottom pieces properly clipped together otherwise it is extremely flimsy, and I wouldn't be trusting epoxy to hold it. Best case scenario, you have a structural member there flexing with different elasticity to the original frame and it'll likely crack later anyway...

Reactions: rameyj

Dear Customer,

Invoice

Customer:
Case No:
DJI Care Balance:

It's just one of those things they don't tell you watch Tom's tech time he said don't land your aircraft the vibration of it landing will cause a problem in the long run! UTUBE search Tom's tec time he knows a thing or two I have been catching mine for 6 months or so don't try till he shows you how almost 300 on my p4 and still good. UTUBE has a alot of great pilots and give you the info. HOPE I HELPED

Come fly In TN mountains everywhere but i love it you can't even give a P4 away here I'm know as eye in the sky come to Elizabethton TN so we can show them the future 4232737143 never could have kept my aircraft safe without the 3or 4 on UTUBE GOOD LUCK

Ok got another Email from DJI, I called them and they are saying they are not going to warranty my drone.. Even thou it says on the E mail letter that "No cause of damage available in flight data"
It has no other visual damage other than the cracks on the wings..
Sad, sad sad..
I have no choice but to pay for the work, I need my drone as is a source of income for me, But you can bet it will be the last drone I buy from DJI...
Hope my experience helps this forum..

Dear Customer,

Invoice

Customer: TrevinoRick
Case No: CAS-888887-P3P1B3
DJI Care Balance:
Quote Date: 08-24-17
Remarks: No cause of damage available in flight data. Obvious damage that impairs normal function to unit, cause unknown source. Cause of root issue is damage due to force impact. [Non warranty Repair]

Payment by Paypal: Payment Links

Please make sure the Case No. is included in your Payment Information when completing your transaction.

This is an automated message. Any replies to this message will not be monitored.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact DJI North America Technical Support, Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM (PST) via the following three channels:

Tel: +1 (818) 235 0789
Email: [email protected]
Online Support: Online Support

Thank you for choosing DJI

Best Regards,
DJI Support

Exactly how old was this drone, in months? There is only a 6 month implied warranty on most of the drone, except main board. Of course, DJI Care adds another 6 months to that, if I understand it right.

Exactly how old was this drone, in months? There is only a 6 month implied warranty on most of the drone, except main board. Of course, DJI Care adds another 6 months to that, if I understand it right.
March 6 of this year
A supervisor called me and they still say its pilot error, when the data shows no crashes, I went ahead and paid it since I need my drone, but you can bet I will no longer be buying from DJI anymore...
Be careful out there, I hope my experience with DJI deters you from buying from this company
They will not honor, the warranty...
And you can't do anything about it....

Reactions: Jim Canada
March 6 of this year
A supervisor called me and they still say its pilot error, when the data shows no crashes, I went ahead and paid it since I need my drone, but you can bet I will no longer be buying from DJI anymore...
Be careful out there, I hope my experience with DJI deters you from buying from this company
They will not honor, the warranty...
And you can't do anything about it....
Hmm, seems like the shell should be covered, that sux.:(

Well I was going to see about sending mine in for the exact stress cracks, I'm 5 days from having it a year.
I purchased it as a refurbished unit from Drone Nerds and it had tiny little cracks at the attachment points on the landing gear but I wasn't to concerned until I noticed the cracks on the body arm. I had contacted Drone Nerds asking if DJI would do anything for the cracks and was told "stress cracks are known issue on the phantom series which DJI is addressing with the new shells. It will not affect your flight, they just happen over time from the vibration of the motors." So I decided to start the process of submitting my repair request but after reading this thread I'm not going to pay $65 just to have them tell me its pilot error and pay the ransom to get it back.

Reactions: RickT

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers