Phantom 4 Pro V2 Fell out of the sky...

Not to derail all the speculation going on in this thread but I have yet to see the OP post anything, like, I don't know, a video feed? RC log? FC log? details of what happened and why DJI accepted responsibility? I'll pop by in a week and maybe we'll have something... click bait.

Post edit: typo
check the my previous post on this thread if you're interested. I'd appreciate your opinion. I just uploaded the Air Data link for the flight in question. I don't see any clues here, but maybe a trained eye can see what may have happened.
Thanks

I do not see any reason for the bird to drop, but I have seen you analyze these logs many times, and I have never looked at one until tonight. Do you see what may have led to the failure??

It has the characteristics of propulsion loss on one motor, but it is preceded by several seconds of apparently uncommanded descent. Best guess based on those data plus the event stream log would be ESC failure.

16232 [L-FDI]NS(0) COMPASS(0): fault on , over_large
16238 [L-FMU/MOTOR]fault on , esc(1) self test error
16242 [L-RC]craft ctrl failed!!!
16256 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault off, tilt_ctrl_fail
16256 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault off, tilt_ctrl_fail
16264 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , tilt_ctrl_fail
16271 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault off, tilt_ctrl_fail
16277 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , tilt_ctrl_fail
16283 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault off, tilt_ctrl_fail
16283 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault off, tilt_ctrl_fail
16290 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , tilt_ctrl_fail
16298 [L-FDI][IMU] gyro acc 1 err status 4040
16302 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , tilt_ctrl_fail
16308 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault off, tilt_ctrl_fail
16312 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , tilt_ctrl_fail
16318 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault off, tilt_ctrl_fail
16323 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , tilt_ctrl_fail
16328 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault off, tilt_ctrl_fail
16333 [L-FMU/DM]Busy Device Changed. Type:compass0, <ID:5 idx:0-->ID:6 idx:1>, change times:
16338 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault off, tilt_ctrl_fail
16343 [L-RC]craft ctrl failed!!!
16348 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault off, tilt_ctrl_fail
16352 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , tilt_ctrl_fail
16358 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault off, tilt_ctrl_fail
16362 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , tilt_ctrl_fail

Graph0.png

Thanks! I hope DJI sees it the same way. Have you seen this a handful of times with the v2.0 or is this a first? I ask because a roofer that I work with also has (had) a v2.0 bought about a month after me, and his fell out of the sky mysteriously as well---on the same day as mine! What are the odds?? Now that I know how to upload flight logs I am working with him to get his data on here as well.

Thanks! I hope DJI sees it the same way. Have you seen this a handful of times with the v2.0 or is this a first? I ask because a roofer that I work with also has (had) a v2.0 bought about a month after me, and his fell out of the sky mysteriously as well---on the same day as mine! What are the odds?? Now that I know how to upload flight logs I am working with him to get his data on here as well.

I don't recall any similar V2 incidents. Can you pull the DAT file from the aircraft - that will have the motor data.

How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

Here is a link to the DAT file that I have placed in Google Drive. This is the same file I uploaded to AirData which generated the Airdata link above.

FLY066.DAT

I didn't realize that AirData reads DAT files. That must be new. Anyway - both right side motors appear to have failed - probably an ESC failure.

speed.png

ppm.png

voltage.png

Thanks! My colleague with the same issue simply took the bird back to Best Buy and got an exchange no questions asked, so we won't see his data. He had only bought it 16 days prior. Fingers crossed until DJI approves a new one for me...

Now we have more than one falls down od V2, once two on the same day. And both as well as one few days back happened at V2 version.
Can this be still explained with the statistics? Of course at such amount of phantoms flying around the world, each failure will be stat. irrelevant.
I think this must be a priority level for DJI.

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
Makes me wonder if the government isn't testing some new Gadget to bring down drones causing Motors to fail. How many different parts of the country is this happening in?

Reactions: Hounddog
The creepy saying about what happens to me and the roofer I was working with, he just knew that I left the job site but didn't know why. He put his bird up and started filming the exact same house I was filming and his bird dropped out of the sky in roughly the exact same air space at the same altitude. It made me think that the homeowner has some sort of physics nerd contraption that it was testing out on us poor chumps. Realistically that is probably not the case. If somebody owns that kind of Technology could Market it properly and become widely successful.

I don't recall any similar V2 incidents. Can you pull the DAT file from the aircraft - that will have the motor data.

How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC
Well would you believe it---the refurbished bird that DJI sent me about a month ago in response to the failure noted on this thread FELL OUT OF THE SKY THIS MORNING!! Makes me think that V2 owners should be very concerned. Here is the DAT file link to google drive (pulled from the drone) as well as the Airdata link from a text file (pulled from the tablet I was using). ESC again!?! Thank God I didn't hurt anyone. Two houses down a guy was washing his beautiful black sports car. Could've hit his car or HIM...

FLY091.DAT

Well would you believe it---the refurbished bird that DJI sent me about a month ago in response to the failure noted on this thread FELL OUT OF THE SKY THIS MORNING!! Makes me think that V2 owners should be very concerned. Here is the DAT file link to google drive (pulled from the drone) as well as the Airdata link from a text file (pulled from the tablet I was using). ESC again!?! Thank God I didn't hurt anyone. Two houses down a guy was washing his beautiful black sports car. Could've hit his car or HIM...

FLY091.DAT

Same two motors shut down again - right front and right rear - looks like ESC failure again:

motorspeed.png

You should definitely have a word with DJI about that.

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
ESCs cutting out due to low battery voltage. If that is the case is there anything you can purchase to get a more detailed measurement on the Phantom battery as most of us depend on the lights and controller readouts.

Reactions: RFP
ESCs cutting out due to low battery voltage. If that is the case is there anything you can purchase to get a more detailed measurement on the Phantom battery as most of us depend on the lights and controller readouts.

It had nothing to do with low voltage:

voltage.png

This guy filmed his brand new P4P2 falling from the sky. Would be interesting to know what caused it.

Couple things to note: Since its not your drone , we are not likely to see the DATA LOG !!

With that said: Many of us know this pilot from his youtubes videos and he is seasoned pilot with experience.

So what might have happened that would cause the drone to do that :

1. infamous battery disconnect
2. Its possible that he shut those motors off by accident as we cannot tell as he spun around but its possible.

Magnetic Interference most likely took place when he pointed the attenas at the car but that would not cause the drone to drop out of the sky like that.

So being that he is a good pilot : Saddly I have to go with battery disconnect.

Update: The pilot is stating that he may have hit some power lines, from what I can see it was clear skys and no power lines in sight at over 100 m . Personally Im not buying that story as power lines that high would be clearly marked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20