Smoking Phantom 4 Pro V2+

Reaction score
I have read quite a few post and have not come across any that describe what happened to our Phantom 4 Pro V2+. We have had it just over a year and have not had any trouble with it. We setup for our mission, powered up the drone, started the mission and the camera was moving around out of control, all positions. A little on-site troubleshooting was performed unsuccessfully, and the mission was aborted. Back at the office we were going to run a calibration on the gimbal and powered up and decided we would calibrate the compass first. As we started the rotations, smoke began coming out of the drone from below, as we moved to power down the drone the gimbal went totally limp. Removing the battery, it seems to be fine, indicator lights still functional. But drone smells of burnt electrical.
I suspect the gimbal board or motor burnt up and we have sent it in for repair. Anyone have any problems like this? Thankfully we scrubbed the mission, I think this could have ended up being a midair fire...!

Did the internal fan quit, should be able to hear it from outside. Would take a bit to get overheated. DJI will diagnose for free if so.

Did the internal fan quit, should be able to hear it from outside. Would take a bit to get overheated. DJI will diagnose for free if so.
It was still running at the time it was powered down. I expect to hear back from the shop this week, I will follow up here and let you know what I find out what got smoked...

Reactions: Capt KO
Well after a week of being lost within FedEx and then being misplaced in the repair shop. It was finally found and repaired.... I was actually on the verge of calling it a loss before they found it. Pretty frustrating... But we did get it back repaired and will be running it through some startup testing. Sunday it will be back in the workforce to fly a job... The report from the repair shop was that it was the gimbal motor and gimbal board. They couldn't tell me which one failed first, but I suspect one burned up the other... The total cost of the repair was $380 shipping was free.... Hope this guy stays running for a while with no other issues...

Reactions: Capt KO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31