Phantom 4 Pro V2 Fell out of the sky...

Reaction score
I have had my V2 for 2 months, flown about two dozen times, and while on a flight, standing still rotating at 400 feet, I lost video feed and the craft fell to the ground. Battery did NOT come out of the drone even after the crash... Getting a new one on DJIs dime but this could have fallen on someone and hurt them...

Does make you wonder what is going on with DJI. MP2's falling out of the sky also, for no apparent reason.
Did you get any errors? Compass or other? And what is your video device, iOS or Android. Before the fall, what did the app say remaining battery level was.

Glad that DJI is replacing, but I agree just one more reason not to fly around people. Still amazing to me how many folks seem to have no problems with it, and like you stated, falling for 400 feet would be possibly a life threatening situation.

Paul C

Reactions: shadow1
Does make you wonder what is going on with DJI. MP2's falling out of the sky also, for no apparent reason.
Did you get any errors? Compass or other? And what is your video device, iOS or Android. Before the fall, what did the app say remaining battery level was.

Glad that DJI is replacing, but I agree just one more reason not to fly around people. Still amazing to me how many folks seem to have no problems with it, and like you stated, falling for 400 feet would be possibly a life threatening situation.

Paul C

Every model that DJI have manufactured has exhibited these kinds of failure in limited numbers, with a variety of causes. In the case of the P4P the battery latch mechanism was suspect. From looking at several M2 events it appears that there may be an FC system crash in some situations, although without being able to read M2 DAT files it's speculation.

Show this be something all of us phantom 4 pro v2.0 owners should worry about? This is the only phantom 4 pro v2.0 that I’ve heard of falling out of the sky for no reason. Most of the ones you see were pilots error.
Show this be something all of us phantom 4 pro v2.0 owners should worry about? This is the only phantom 4 pro v2.0 that I’ve heard of falling out of the sky for no reason. Most of the ones you see were pilots error.

Yes, it's something you should worry about. A little. All of these tiny, non redundant, minimally tested and questionably assembled (for an aircraft) are liable to drop out of the sky with no warning or provocation.

So don't fly them where that is going to be a problem.

First, don't fly over people, animals or things where their owners will get particularly annoyed if you crash. Second, unless you are willing to lose the craft, don't fly over anything but grass / vegetation / styrofoam packing.

These things are amazing and actually pretty reliable. But no where near reliable enough to assume they won't crash at some point.

Yes, it's something you should worry about. A little. All of these tiny, non redundant, minimally tested and questionably assembled (for an aircraft) are liable to drop out of the sky with no warning or provocation.

So don't fly them where that is going to be a problem.

First, don't fly over people, animals or things where their owners will get particularly annoyed if you crash. Second, unless you are willing to lose the craft, don't fly over anything but grass / vegetation / styrofoam packing.

These things are amazing and actually pretty reliable. But no where near reliable enough to assume they won't crash at some point.
I understand that’s ita a chance we take every time we lift off. But what I asking is since this has only happened a few times so it’s condition an isolated incident do we need to stess about all P4P v2 having this problem of is it just a freak accident.

I have had my V2 for 2 months, flown about two dozen times, and while on a flight, standing still rotating at 400 feet, I lost video feed and the craft fell to the ground. Battery did NOT come out of the drone even after the crash... Getting a new one on DJIs dime but this could have fallen on someone and hurt them...
What firmware are you running. Did you update to the new firmware that was just released on 10-8-2018. If so I’m wondering if it is a firmware issue that’s causing the quads to fall of if the sky.

I understand that’s ita a chance we take every time we lift off. But what I asking is since this has only happened a few times so it’s condition an isolated incident do we need to stess about all P4P v2 having this problem of is it just a freak accident.
You have to consider how many of the drones are out there flying (hundreds of thousands) and how many have been involved in fall-from-the-sky incidents (only a small number)
Then subtract the number that can be attributed to operator issues (launching with a partially discharged battery etc).
It's a very uncommon issue that affects very few flyers.
What firmware are you running. Did you update to the new firmware that was just released on 10-8-2018. If so I’m wondering if it is a firmware issue that’s causing the quads to fall of if the sky.
If it was as simple as a firmware problem, you would expect to see hundreds or thousands of reports ... and we don't.

Not to derail all the speculation going on in this thread but I have yet to see the OP post anything, like, I don't know, a video feed? RC log? FC log? details of what happened and why DJI accepted responsibility? I'll pop by in a week and maybe we'll have something... click bait.

Post edit: typo

Last edited:
Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
I had a similar event when I was flying a P2. I was hovering at about 30 feet taking a still photo when it dropped like a rock. It was winter here in Michigan at the time so it fell into about a foot of snow. I recovered it, took it home and dried it out. No visible exterior damage. I put a new battery in but it would not power up. So I took it apart and discovered that the solder joint on the negative side of the terminal the battery plugs into was broken. It could have been a cold solder joint from the factory or perhaps previous hard landings could have broken it loose. Either way, I re-soldered the connection and it worked fine.

Reactions: Rodee34
I had a similar event when I was flying a P2. I was hovering at about 30 feet taking a still photo when it dropped like a rock. It was winter here in Michigan at the time so it fell into about a foot of snow. I recovered it, took it home and dried it out. No visible exterior damage. I put a new battery in but it would not power up. So I took it apart and discovered that the solder joint on the negative side of the terminal the battery plugs into was broken. It could have been a cold solder joint from the factory or perhaps previous hard landings could have broken it loose. Either way, I re-soldered the connection and it worked fine.

That was a moderately common failure on the P2. I haven't seen reports of any similar issues with the P3 or P4.

I installed the new update into my phantom 4 pro v2.0 and used the dji go 4 method. Finished went out for test flight, for the heck of it I pressed auto takeoff. The drone took off and started climbing like mad. Didn't stopped like it did before update. I got control at 50 feet and landed. I then went back to drawing board and reinstalled update into aircraft and remote using Assistant 2 on PC. USB
Went back out today to test fly, took off using manual mode this time, it flew better, not holding altitude very good, 10 satellites, so I decide to try more altitude and gave it small amount of throttle and at 15 feet it took off straight up again. Didn't stop until it was so high it was hard to see. I tried auto land, nada. So gave it 3/4 throttle down, finally started back down. Had to use a lot of throttle to stop decent, had no control laterally and managed to get it on the ground and shut down. Will not fly it again until I get an answer. Phantom is new, 10 total flights on it, all were good before update.
I posted here, have tried 4 times to put this on DJI forum site and can't get it on. Any questions contact me. Good luck to other Phantom flyers who have spent $1000+ on this toy?

I installed the new update into my phantom 4 pro v2.0 and used the dji go 4 method. Finished went out for test flight, for the heck of it I pressed auto takeoff. The drone took off and started climbing like mad. Didn't stopped like it did before update. I got control at 50 feet and landed. I then went back to drawing board and reinstalled update into aircraft and remote using Assistant 2 on PC. USB
Went back out today to test fly, took off using manual mode this time, it flew better, not holding altitude very good, 10 satellites, so I decide to try more altitude and gave it small amount of throttle and at 15 feet it took off straight up again. Didn't stop until it was so high it was hard to see. I tried auto land, nada. So gave it 3/4 throttle down, finally started back down. Had to use a lot of throttle to stop decent, had no control laterally and managed to get it on the ground and shut down. Will not fly it again until I get an answer. Phantom is new, 10 total flights on it, all were good before update.
I posted here, have tried 4 times to put this on DJI forum site and can't get it on. Any questions contact me. Good luck to other Phantom flyers who have spent $1000+ on this toy?

Have you taken a look at the flight logs to see if there is any obvious explanation for that behavior?

This just happened to me on 10/2! I bought the drone on 8/17 and had logged 61 flights. I watched the flight re-creation in the Go4 app and the last warning was "gimbal limit reached" (presumably because the thing was tumbling in the air on the way down) then "IMU redundancy switch" after it had slammed into the sidewalk from 100 feet up. Just opened a case with DJI today, hopefully they send a new one with no funny business. With tax the thing was $1,623! Good news is that no one was around on the ground below. I cannot log in to itunes on my hp laptop and don't know another to retrieve flight logs. I would love to get them on this forum. Do one of you guys have a link that would take me through the steps? I have ipad mini3 as my monitor.

Not to derail all the speculation going on in this thread but I have yet to see the OP post anything, like, I don't know, a video feed? RC log? FC log? details of what happened and why DJI accepted responsibility? I'll pop by in a week and maybe we'll have something... click bait.

Post edit: typo
Hey, this is such an unheard of thing that I don't blame you for thinking clickbait. However, I can attest that my v2.0 just fell like a rock 11 days ago with no explanation. No collision, no warnings for compass issues, electromagnetic interference, wind... unlike russman007, my video feed stayed on. I was watching my monitor when the horizon started spinning. For a split second I hoped my gimbal was going crazy but the spin went 360°--to my amazement I looked up to see my bird dropping like a rock and smashing into the sidewalk. I will be glad to show flight records but it is not an easy process and I don't know how to do it yet.

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
Use DJI factory batteries as well. I have heard of this with aftermarket batteries. Test your new equipment in the field at low elevations to avoid damage. Once your equipment is proven, you should at least have a better handle on trusting it. From what I have heard DJI is replacing the drones damages in their dime regardless of battery brand. Still it would be pretty disappointing to watch a drone fall out of the sky.

Last edited:
You won't find them there. Try these - the aircraft DAT file (2nd link) will probably be the most useful but it will be too large to upload directly to this site. You will need to use Dropbox or Google Drive.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help

How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet
I do not see any reason for the bird to drop, but I have seen you analyze these logs many times, and I have never looked at one until tonight. Do you see what may have led to the failure??

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic