Phantom 4 Pro is coming

I think the Mavic is designed as a separate line. DJI wants to expand its market so they brought out a different form factor, just as any competent computer manufacturer will have a line of laptops and a line of desktop machines. I don't see one product line interfering with the development and production of the other. I suspect the DJI's problems with the Mavic launch are based on marketing, not specifically on production. I can see Mavic engineers sitting there being happy with their development schedule with release in the spring, then someone from Marketing coming to them and telling them they had to move up the pace for an October release because of Karma. They rushed the announcement and the rollout in order to prevent Karma from getting a sales advantage and to make sure that Mavic gets to set the market standard.

Yeah, I think that Mavic won't interfere with the Phantom 4 Pro or the Phantom 5. I suspect those are on a completely separate development track.

Last edited:
If it's only an upgrade to OcuSync, I'm really not that interested. There's not that much range benefit from what I have seen so far with distance tests. Here's my list of potential upgrades for a P4P. Are the upgrades worth buying a new P4P to replace my P4? Here's my feeling....

1. Lightbridge 2 with 1080 streaming and 50ms latency. Maybe, if the range exceeds 3mi. (more likely a P5 possibility)
2. 16mp sensor. No not enough.
3. World smallest micro 4/3 camera with much higher ISO support. Smaller than X5 w/fixed focus (to save money and weight). Yes, interested
4. Ocu-Sync. No, not enough
5. Z3 camera. Yes, interested
6. 99 watt battery, Yes interested (more likely a P5 upgrade, I hope)
7. Bus interface and physical mounting area with radio control to activate aftermarket accessories (like Solo). Maybe, if combined with other "not enough" items above.
8. 360 degree OA. No, not enough.
9. Camera pushed forward to get props out of view. Yes, Interested. (more likely a P5 possibility)
10. Fix the tilted horizon anomaly for good. Yes, interested

agree
and 11.: Stay at 2,4GHZ band!

Agreed. Apple only "tweaks" their products these days. They don't innovate anymore. DJI at least is innovating. At least so far....

I'm very confused now. I read here and on the Mavic forums that the Phantom series is dead.
You don't believe everything that's on the internet, do you? ;)

If what you heard didn't come directly from DJI, then it was probably just rumor.

Reactions: John1960
I'm very confused now. I read here and on the Mavic forums that the Phantom series is dead. Mavic is all that DJI is going to sell from now on....

:rolleyes:

You don't believe everything that's on the internet, do you? ;)

If what you heard didn't come directly from DJI, then it was probably just rumor.

It appears that the :rolleyes: smiley didn't adequately convey the level of sarcasm I meant my post to reflect.

What effect will a P4 Pro debut have on the price of a vanilla P4? Did DJI go through this same sequence when they went from P3 advanced to P3 Pro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The price of the previous model usually decreases when a new model is released. How much? Well, we'll have to wait and see.

For what it's worth, while on the phone with DJI I concluded the call with very causally asking, "So, when will you be shipping the P4 Pro" and the response was a cry off hand, "oh, just keep watching the website for that announcement."

FWIW

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The day after I bought my P4 the website changed from everything Mavic to Nov. 15 your drone is going to be a lot cheaper.. Grrrr

Consumer drone business stumbles, but commercial markets beckon - One America News Network

I can't predict what DJI's next move after reading the above article. It makes sense for DJI to broaden the P4 line with other models like a P4 Pro to get all they can without too much investment. It also makes sense for them to release a P5 that will bury all competition.

Apple keeps releasing an iPhone and then an upgraded version, so will DJI's business model follow suit? Releasing a new generation prosumer drone every year may work since the above story states drones are "disposable items." If I had to replace my P4, I'd want an upgraded model.

Brand new technology. As it develops and matures, and that new technology becomes affordable to the consumer, DJI takes advantage. The same it true of most consumer electronics. If DJI (or Apple) doesn't take advantage, some other company will. So yeah, most versions of most sophisticated consumer electronics get exceeded and supplanted in a relatively short time frame.

I do agree that commercial drones are a market segment that probably has some degree of opportunity, but DJI is already there too, with a relatively robust suite of commercial drones...at least, as robust as the market is demanding right now. I'd be surprised if DJI isn't watching that segment closely and isn't poised to enter and dominate.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj