Phantom 4 Pro is coming

I agree. I could even get along with the same sensor (which is already pretty good), but I'd like to see a controllable aperture and maybe an optical zoom lens.
It would not be possible to add a controllable aperture with these tiny lenses and small sensors. The problem is that stopping the lens down any at all from wide open would introduce more diffraction and soften the image. Some point and shoot cameras use internal ND filters rather than smaller apertures to avoid diffraction. Of course you do not get any change in depth of field with ND filters.
To have any shallower DOF would require a bigger maximum aperture, a larger sensor or a longer focal length. The Mavic has a larger aperture and a longer focal length and thus requires focusing.

If it's only an upgrade to OcuSync, I'm really not that interested. There's not that much range benefit from what I have seen so far with distance tests. Here's my list of potential upgrades for a P4P. Are the upgrades worth buying a new P4P to replace my P4? Here's my feeling....

1. Lightbridge 2 with 1080 streaming and 50ms latency. Maybe, if the range exceeds 3mi. (more likely a P5 possibility)
2. 16mp sensor. No not enough.
3. World smallest micro 4/3 camera with much higher ISO support. Smaller than X5 w/fixed focus (to save money and weight). Yes, interested
4. Ocu-Sync. No, not enough
5. Z3 camera. Yes, interested
6. 99 watt battery, Yes interested (more likely a P5 upgrade, I hope)
7. Bus interface and physical mounting area with radio control to activate aftermarket accessories (like Solo). Maybe, if combined with other "not enough" items above.
8. 360 degree OA. No, not enough.
9. Camera pushed forward to get props out of view. Yes, Interested. (more likely a P5 possibility)
10. Fix the tilted horizon anomaly for good. Yes, interested
Man this is a P5.There is no way to see all this in a P4.

Notice the "P4 Pro" in this new GO Pad app. Maybe what's coming soon? Near the end there's also a couple of Mavics listed in the scroll.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

P4 Pro is probably going to have occustink and some gold stickers on the arm.
I do hope they bring over the mavic's folderable prop system to the P3/P4 range.

I thought the P4's camera was already the basic equivalent of a Z3?
The Z3 has the same sensor, however it has an optical 3.5X zoom lens, in addition to the 2X lossless zoom when shooting 1080. Total zoom, 7X. The digital zoom jerks with each digital step, unlike optical zoom which is smooth. Currently this camera is only available for Inspire, but I believe the Phantom has the lift power to incorporate, if DJI would make the right gimble and control software.

Notice the "P4 Pro" in this new GO Pad app. Maybe what's coming soon? Near the end there's also a couple of Mavics listed in the scroll.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I saw that the drone connected to the device with the Go App(Better) was located at a modest flat in Holyhead, Wales there on Aurthur St. Not that that is strange, but what is strange is that Go appears to be a beta...duh. In beta testing, isn't there a non-disclosure agreement? I'm wondering if it is a teaser meant to leak the new model on purpose.

I'm more than happy with my p4 as it stands. As for upgrades I'll be happy with a better camera. It's not bad as it is but that's the main thing for me. I've seen a side to side comparison with the mavic and the p4 has the better camera. I've also no need for a smaller portable drone like the mavic. The p4 is all I need personally. Upgrades would be minimal on a p4p.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: John1960 and gppms
One thing I'll say and say loud enough I hope DJI hears me: If you release a Phantom 4 Pro - which we will all surely love - do not, repeat, do NOT change the battery form factor. Make the battery "better"? Cool. Make the P4 Pro incompatible with my 6 P4 batteries? You gonna piss me off, I'm not about to buy more batteries!

One thing I'll say and say loud enough I hope DJI hears me: If you release a Phantom 4 Pro - which we will all surely love - do not, repeat, do NOT change the battery form factor. Make the battery "better"? Cool. Make the P4 Pro incompatible with my 6 P4 batteries? You gonna piss me off, I'm not about to buy more batteries!
It is exactly the same drone.I suspect with some extra features.

Then it's not "exactly" the same drone... not being a jerk, but, if they are making JUST firmware changes then ...meh... we can get it on the P4 too. Going to a "Professional" designation tells me that they're making some hardware changes.

To join in the chorus - the #1 thing I think everyone wants: better camera! My greatest frustration is having some amazing images to capture but the camera is 10 years old in design. Sure it's small/light but there are lots of camera of this quality even smaller/lighter. So, DJI: PLEASE give us a better camera (better=higher ISO both video and stills to start. I shoot at night or low level a LOT so could really use a useful ISO higher than 1600).

I'd love to see Obstacle Avoidance improved and given more fields of view. I do a lot of backwards and sideways flying. Now, backwards I'm usually pretty aware of where I came from but often I'm flying sideways and have come very close way too many times to just slamming into something - the dramatic shots are the ones going sideways and down low - man it'd be nice if the sensors wrapped around the body.

BUT: I don't think any of that will happen. I think that the P4Pro will gain any hardware improvements that the Mavic brought - like Light Bridge 2 & OcuSync and perhaps a few more minor upgrades. I don't know what's really left to do without making some big changes. Perhaps they'll do fold up landing gear and/or better landing "feet" - that could be done by replacing the bottom shell of the existing P4 and still keeping the battery compartment/form factor the same.

Reactions: Erised
Then it's not "exactly" the same drone... not being a jerk, but, if they are making JUST firmware changes then ...meh... we can get it on the P4 too. Going to a "Professional" designation tells me that they're making some hardware changes.

To join in the chorus - the #1 thing I think everyone wants: better camera! My greatest frustration is having some amazing images to capture but the camera is 10 years old in design. Sure it's small/light but there are lots of camera of this quality even smaller/lighter. So, DJI: PLEASE give us a better camera (better=higher ISO both video and stills to start. I shoot at night or low level a LOT so could really use a useful ISO higher than 1600).

I'd love to see Obstacle Avoidance improved and given more fields of view. I do a lot of backwards and sideways flying. Now, backwards I'm usually pretty aware of where I came from but often I'm flying sideways and have come very close way too many times to just slamming into something - the dramatic shots are the ones going sideways and down low - man it'd be nice if the sensors wrapped around the body.

BUT: I don't think any of that will happen. I think that the P4Pro will gain any hardware improvements that the Mavic brought - like Light Bridge 2 & OcuSync and perhaps a few more minor upgrades. I don't know what's really left to do without making some big changes. Perhaps they'll do fold up landing gear and/or better landing "feet" - that could be done by replacing the bottom shell of the existing P4 and still keeping the battery compartment/form factor the same.
Somewhere I read that the Mavic Pro has "true" or "real" 4K as an upgrade over what the P4 has. If the P4 uses software to produce its "4K", then I'd like to see the P4 Pro with a similar upgrade. I'm still happy with my video, but there is always something better.

Somewhere I read that the Mavic Pro has "true" or "real" 4K as an upgrade over what the P4 has. If the P4 uses software to produce its "4K", then I'd like to see the P4 Pro with a similar upgrade. I'm still happy with my video, but there is always something better.
I'm not sure how that would work, since they use the same sensor and the Mavic has a slightly less sophisticated lens system and a narrower field of view. Internet "lore' based on the very few Mavic video samples certainly tends to indicate that the Mavic is, at best, equivalent to the P4 and perhaps more likely, not quite as good. More on that later, I'm sure.

I'm more than happy with my p4 as it stands. As for upgrades I'll be happy with a better camera. It's not bad as it is but that's the main thing for me. I've seen a side to side comparison with the mavic and the p4 has the better camera. I've also no need for a smaller portable drone like the mavic. The p4 is all I need personally. Upgrades would be minimal on a p4p.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was under the same impression after seeing early reviews but, that does not seem to be the case. The reviewers were not tapping the screen to get the camera to focus. The Mavic has a "tap to Focus" feature.The cameras seem to produce about the same image quality.

Do we really think that DJI could announce new product/s after the on going craziness that is the Mavic Pro? DJI can't even inform buyers that pre-ordered the Mavic on the morning of pre-orders - well over one month ago.
Not to mention the amount of troubles that the Mavic is giving the very few that do have one.
I would be extremely surprised if they went ahead and keept their silence on the Mavic, and went about announcing a new/improved product.
I understand DJI basically hold monopoly on the drone industry, however they aren't too well thought of at the moment with many new and loyal DJI consumers, and I am sure that many re-sellers aren't too happy with DJI either, with the amount of consumers that are making their thoughts known.
I wouldn't think it would be a very strategical move on their part.
I think the P4 would easily pass for another 6months until we see the P5..

But hey, that's only my 0.2cents

Reactions: gppms and auen1
I'm confused, pilot as.

What Mavic problems?
Who is not thinking well of them, where?
The Mavic Pro is positioned to replace older Phantoms and is priced below the current discounted P4 and performs as such.
A P4Pro would be for the higher end prosumer, priced at, say, 1399 or 1499 - but with some gotta have feature or two. This way those who are only ready to go $999 for the Mavic Pro wouldn't feel they missed anything, they weren't going to spend more for a larger unit. And, it IS wise to do so so closely. Fewer people I'll have bought the Mavic who'd also be ready for a P4Pro and we're waiting to see how it performed in public. Those people will then have their choice laid out for them. Cheaper/portable Mavic Pro, tried and true P4 and cutting edge new P4Pro. All available at the same time and Just in time for xmas! To release the P4Pro just after xmas would be dumb. And if they were going to wait, why let the obvious couple items leak, they know us in the know will find them.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Same camera and sensor in both, just different lenses. The 4K is "real"

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31