Phantom 4 Pro – Gimbal Guard Causing Flying Errors

Reaction score
Phantom 4 Pro – Flying Errors with Gimbal Guard

I wanted to make you aware of a significant problem that I have seen with my Phantom 4 Pro. I upgraded from the P4 to the Pro, and moved the gimbal guard to it as soon as I received it (It is a standard looking thin, carbon fiber guard). I immediately began having issues; the Copter would stop in mid-flight, it would descend at ¼ speed. All of this was intermittent, and there were no errors displayed on the screen. I began to troubleshoot the issue (changed iOS device, reloaded the app. Etc). Finally when I removed the Gimbal Guard all of the issues stopped. The guard worked fine on the P4 standard, but on the pro there is something different about the sensing and it can sense that the guard is there and interprets it as ground. The guard was also all the way under the gimbal (IE: it di not appear to be in the way of the sensors).

Please let me know if you have a Gimbal Guard on a P4 Pro that is working.

Best regards, Kevin
Westminster, CO, USA

No idea on this. But I'm curious, when have you ever needed a gimble guard? After a week or two of flying I would think you would not need it anymore. Just saying.

it is messing up the downward sensor vision positioning system. It is picking up the guard and thinking that is the ground. like KevMo said, by now you should be hand catching every landing anyways

Reactions: KevMo Photog
it is messing up the downward sensor vision positioning system. It is picking up the guard and thinking that is the ground. like KevMo said, by now you should be hand catching every landing anyways
Exactly my experience with gimbal guard. When using auto land it would say landing area is unacceptable.

Is there a work a round or just can't use it anymore.

that was my experience also the maker of guard told me that could never happen, sold too many with no problems. thanks for your post at least I know I was right. I use extended landing gear on my p4p to give the gimbal a little more clearance.

Why would you wanna hand catch landings anyway , whats the benefit ?
Hand catching is less risk for landing issues, if you're careful. It also keeps the camera lens cleaner from flying dust, etc. Often the area is simply too rugged or too much grass or weeds to land on the ground, hence a hand catch is easier and safer.

Remember these tips for hand catching:
1. Hover the craft above head level about 5' or 10' away, setting the elevation within your grasp
2. Let the craft hover there a few seconds to settle in, watch it closely.
3. When settled, and hovering, take your fingers OFF the sticks before grabbing it.
4. Walk over to the craft and grab one of the craft vertical landing legs with your RIGHT HAND, and hold it IN PLACE where it was hovering.
5. With your LEFT HAND, push left stick down to turn off motors (like normal) WHILE holding the craft in place.
6. Pull craft down only after motors have turned off.

Simple rule of thumb......NEVER CATCH A MOVING CRAFT !

Hand catching is less risk for landing issues, if you're careful. It also keeps the camera lens cleaner from flying dust, etc. Often the area is simply too rugged or too much grass or weeds to land on the ground, hence a hand catch is easier and safer.

Remember these tips for hand catching:
1. Hover the craft above head level about 5' or 10' away, setting the elevation within your grasp
2. Let the craft hover there a few seconds to settle in, watch it closely.
3. When settled, and hovering, take your fingers OFF the sticks before grabbing it.
4. Walk over to the craft and grab one of the craft vertical landing legs with your RIGHT HAND, and hold it IN PLACE where it was hovering.
5. With your LEFT HAND, push left stick down to turn off motors (like normal) WHILE holding the craft in place.
6. Pull craft down only after motors have turned off.

Simple rule of thumb......NEVER CATCH A MOVING CRAFT !
OK thank you for explaining , I seen a few people do it in videos I just never knew the reason.

Phantom 4 Pro – Flying Errors with Gimbal Guard

I wanted to make you aware of a significant problem that I have seen with my Phantom 4 Pro. I upgraded from the P4 to the Pro, and moved the gimbal guard to it as soon as I received it (It is a standard looking thin, carbon fiber guard). I immediately began having issues; the Copter would stop in mid-flight, it would descend at ¼ speed. All of this was intermittent, and there were no errors displayed on the screen. I began to troubleshoot the issue (changed iOS device, reloaded the app. Etc). Finally when I removed the Gimbal Guard all of the issues stopped. The guard worked fine on the P4 standard, but on the pro there is something different about the sensing and it can sense that the guard is there and interprets it as ground. The guard was also all the way under the gimbal (IE: it di not appear to be in the way of the sensors).

Please let me know if you have a Gimbal Guard on a P4 Pro that is working.

Best regards, Kevin
Westminster, CO, USA
I'm surprised you didn't have issues with that gimbal guard on the P4. I was a super fan of gimbal guards on my P3P. It saved my camera when I had an altercation with a bird one day. However, when I got a P4 I immediately had an issue with the gimbal guard. The craft would YOYO up and down with my hands off the sticks. Eventually someone else figured out it was the gimbal guard, and when I removed mine the YOYO went away. I attribute that issue to the P4 having a stronger VPS sonar signal, and the sound waves were bouncing off the guard, even though it was positioned under the camera, as far forward as possible, and no further back than my P3P guard. So I've been running without the gimbal guard ever since. Your issues seem more severe, but that doesn't surprise me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4