Phantom 4 Low-Noise Props (Now Available)

First flight impressions: Noticeably quieter, and, indeed, faster!
Top speed with OA on was at least 2 mph faster over most of the flight!
The flight covered 57,240 feet which is 3,000 feet further than the prior flight under similar conditions and one of my longest, with the same battery, starting out at 5950 mAH and landed at the same 7% remaining battery as the prior flight, while wasting 20 seconds of the battery screwing up the landing, because it came in too hot, and actually overshot me!
Keith/UnknownCaller was right! Crazy fast! :cool:

Reactions: lolo780
First flight impressions: Noticeably quieter, and, indeed, faster!
Top speed with OA on was at least 2 mph faster over most of the flight!
The flight covered 57,240 feet which is 3,000 feet further than the prior flight under similar conditions and one of my longest, with the same battery, starting out at 5950 mAH and landed at the same 7% remaining battery as the prior flight, while wasting 20 seconds of the battery screwing up the landing, because it came in too hot, and actually overshot me!
Keith/UnknownCaller was right! Crazy fast! :cool:

That sounds very positive, so which DJI Quad were flying, the original P4P or a new P4P v2.0?

FWIW the DJI Store is still saying 'ships in 10-15 business days' (meaning 2-3 weeks, maybe, or longer, you just never know) while resellers have them in stock to sell today. Luckily I realized that the DJI Store will screw me every single time I deal with them and cancelled my backorder last week. Axventure will have them on my doorstep day after tomorrow.

The so called "noise reduction" is, from most reports, more of a pitch change to a lower, less annoying frequency than the standard props. If your high frequency hearing is impaired (most over 40 have some degree of high frequency impairment), the lower frequency could, indeed, be perceived as louder. It's not a panacea, especially without the newer ESC's on the P4P V2.

You may be right but my hearing is not diminished. I am sure it probably has something to do with the ESC’s like you said. Glad you had such great results with them.

Got these super fast. Thanks again, @Advexure!

Haven’t flown them yet. Too windy outside. I did notice they lock into place a lot nicer than the original props.

Attachments

• 7EA02EDC-20BB-4CC7-849C-B7BB26D7B5D8.jpeg
    7EA02EDC-20BB-4CC7-849C-B7BB26D7B5D8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 437
  • 67B8E40A-CD6E-4B16-88ED-3C9AE25EFCD7.jpeg
    67B8E40A-CD6E-4B16-88ED-3C9AE25EFCD7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 421
Reactions: Advexure
You may be right but my hearing is not diminished. I am sure it probably has something to do with the ESC’s like you said. Glad you had such great results with them.
I was pleasantly surprised, without the benefit of the new ESC's. I didn't expect such a result on my first flight with them. Pitch just seemed a bit lower, and less annoying to me, and I do have some hearing loss in the crisp consonants! Too much dial tone amplification in between calls as a telemarketer in my younger days! ;) The minor gain in flight distance was the really important one for me. More time to linger at the destination. :cool:

Reactions: WWK888 and Advexure
Got these super fast. Thanks again, @Advexure!

Haven’t flown them yet. Too windy outside. I did notice they lock into place a lot nicer than the original props.

No problem!

I keep seeing posts of folks installing the new props and can't seem to get used to the "bigger boots". Curious to see a spec comparing the overall surface area of the foil of the low-noise compared to the standard...

Thoughts on this? –> Greater surface area = greater lift = enhanced efficiency & slower prop revolution = less noise output (+wingtip design)

No problem!

I keep seeing posts of folks installing the new props and can't seem to get used to the "bigger boots". Curious to see a spec comparing the overall surface area of the foil of the low-noise compared to the standard...

Thoughts on this? –> Greater surface area = greater lift = enhanced efficiency & slower prop revolution = less noise output (+wingtip design)
They do look huge! Because of the greater surface area, they may also therefore be better suited for flying from higher altitudes where the air is thinner, for mountain climbing.

B&H just got them in stock at 2:00pm and sold out within the 45 minutes it took me to open the requested email notification! Glad I already have mine from you! :cool:

I ordered from DJI on 5/30, they were delivered 6/4. 3 business days.

I have a P4P and I thought the noise reduction was noticeable, particularly once the aircraft was airborne. The sound was imperceptible to me at a much lower height than before. At about 100 feet, I could hardly hear it at all. YMMV, as my hearing is not good.

It did appear that the aircraft fought a little harder to remain stable during hover, but I'll have to fly a few more times to confirm that. Air yesterday was fairly unstable, and I didn't have my normal props to compare.

Last edited:
Reactions: loonie01 and Kman
You don't get something for nothing and more lift generally means higher drag. This can be mitigated by slowing the propeller which reduces drag -- and lift, essentially canceling each other out. However the slower propeller, while not necessarily providing an aerodynamic performance improvement for the reasons just mentioned, may well be quieter at least (DJI's obvious goal here.) Also noise from air cavitation at the tip vortex is a common source of propeller noise, and this is what DJI is no doubt addressing with the tip modification. These two changes are what is reducing the noise level. In terms of flight performance (further, faster, more stable, less stable, etc.), that's probably going to be difficult or impossible to measure in a casual (non-instrumented) environment so personally I'd take anecdotal reports in that area with a grain of salt. Even DJI isn't claiming that and if they could, they would.

Last edited:
You don't get something for nothing and more lift generally means higher drag. This can be mitigated by slowing the propeller which reduces drag -- and lift, essentially canceling each other out. However the slower propeller, while not necessarily providing an aerodynamic performance improvement for the reasons just mentioned, may well be quieter at least (DJI's obvious goal here.) Also noise from air cavitation at the tip vortex is a common source of propeller noise, and this is what DJI is no doubt addressing with the tip modification. These two changes are what is reducing the noise level. In terms of flight performance (further, faster, more stable, less stable, etc.), that's probably going to be difficult or impossible to measure in a casual (non-instrumented) environment so personally I'd take anecdotal reports in that area with a grain of salt. Even DJI isn't claiming that and if they could, they would.

Very well said and thanks for the insight. [emoji1360]

Ordered mine on Sunday from advexure, got them today. Family noticed not as loud as original OEM.
I like em !!!

Reactions: Advexure
Just did a quick hover test indoors with a sound level meter (real meter, not a phone app.) There was definitely a subjective difference with the new props and the meter confirmed it, about 76.2 dB with the old props and 73.5 with the new (at about six feet, A-weighted). That's a 2.7 dB difference but I was inside a small room with 'live' walls so with all the reflected energy it may not be indicative of the difference I'll see outside, but again, subjectively quite noticeable even at that.

IMHO there is no noise reduction in fact they sounded a bit louder but that could have been due to wind conditions. It should be noted I am using these on a standard P4.

I recently bought four complete sets of DJI standard props at roughly half off list price, but I was considering buying a set of these v2 type to test on my P4. Think I'll wait for more positive feedback.

A difference exists for sure, but as is always the case audibility and the human ear make for a very subjective experience. A lot of the mixed reports so far likely have a lot to do with perception, as in if you were expecting a night-and-day difference then you probably won't feel there's much of a change, but with reasonable expectations I think most will be pleased, even if not bowled over, with the improvement. Then there's also the consideration of even if there is a difference, does it matter? If you are out flying over the desert or water or in unpopulated areas then what concern is a few more dB? (or said another way, if a UAV flies in a forest and there's no one there to hear it, did it make a sound? ;) ) But OTOH if you are flying around the neighborhood or public park or in any kind of noise-sensitive environment every bit of reduction helps and I think you'd certainly want them in that case.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4