PHANTOM 4 FLYAWAY (DRIFTAWAY?) - PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
Link to flight info:

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I was flying backwards getting footage of land, when djigo crashed (nothing new); I immediately hit RTH, then worked on getting djigo back open (which previously worked - was usually able to reconnect without landing). However, the aircraft did not RTH, djigo never reconnected, and the RC never reconnected. I’m hoping someone can take a look and offer some advice on where to look.

I’m also attaching a pic that may or may not be useful. A day or two after losing my P4, I connected my RC to my phone; no camera view of course, but I clicked on lower-left box (map), then clicked dot and selected aircraft location, not expecting it to show anything. HOWEVER, it showed its location as being a mile or so from me – at a location I’ve never flown over. After looking at the map of my flight, its trajectory would’ve put the aircraft around this spot. In the attached pic, the yellow arrow on the right points to the last known location of aircraft (seen on healthydrones.com); the red dot on the left is what djigo was showing as aircraft’s location a day or two after losing P4. Useful info, or just a coincidence it showed the disconnected aircraft’s location at a location I’ve never been or flown over?

Finally, not sure if relevant, but when I visited the last-known GPS coordinates of aircraft, my phone lost all GPS satellites, until I was out from under last known GPS signal – a definite GPS dead zone. But I don’t THINK it explains losing communication with RC. I wish I knew what happened when an aircraft loses communication with RC in a GPS dead zone – does it stop & hover til the battery dies, then land (wherever it is, vs finding a spot free of obstacles); or does it just keep flying along the path I had it; or something else?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice you can offer on where to look or what other steps to take. The area under last-known location is thick with briars & brush – it took me 5 hours to get from the home location on the right to the end of the yellow line. I originally planned to continue along this flight trajectory, but if anybody has a better idea, I would very much appreciate it.

Attachments

• DJIGO_AIRCRAFT_LOCATION_RC.jpg
    DJIGO_AIRCRAFT_LOCATION_RC.jpg
    851.3 KB · Views: 782
Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

Sorry to hear that. First of all what I understand is if signal is lost then it will come back as it's already stored on the internal memory where it needs to go. Losing GPS however may have put it into ATTI mode which means the wind may have carried it of. But however if the red dot is still saying it's at that location then it means it could have been the last GPRS signal it gave out before losing contact. Do you have the healthy drone link by any chance? We will have a better chance then of getting it

Neon Euc

Neon, is this the healthy drone link you're talking about?:

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

That's kind of what I'm thinking - it didn't RTH because it was in a GPS dead zone, thus didn't know which way home was.

Thanks for reply!

Sorry to hear that. First of all what I understand is if signal is lost then it will come back as it's already stored on the internal memory where it needs to go. Losing GPS however may have put it into ATTI mode which means the wind may have carried it of. But however if the red dot is still saying it's at that location then it means it could have been the last GPRS signal it gave out before losing contact. Do you have the healthy drone link by any chance? We will have a better chance then of getting it

Neon Euc

OK mate let me have a look at it for you. Ideally @msinger would be great to help as he is the drone guru. I will have a quick look mate and see what I can find out in the mean time

Neon Euc

OK so despite the battery voltage being quite low it wasn't dangerous as the cells was all good.

I notices that it also is registered as landed so that's a very good sign. It also landed with quite a lot of satellites.
1485889806551.png

Neon Euc

Can you upload the kml file too so we can see a 3D flight path on how high it went

Neon Euc

Problem I see is that at 16m 04s mode was changed to sport at 736.5ft and after that at 16m 22s it lost contact at 736.2ft and never did come out of sports mode.

Now could be a chance the wind carried it off as I believe sports mode is also known as ATTI mode. But wait until a few others chip in as they will be a lot better then me on this

Neon Euc

If there is a GPS dead zone, then your Phantom would have landed at its current location after the remote controller disconnected or RTH was successfully initiated. Assuming the remote controller connection dropped right at the last recorded location, I'd start looking for it here:

Map.jpg

If the remote controller was still connected for a while and you were still manning the sticks, your Phantom is most likely not in that location.

Any useful info in the pic showing what djigo thought was the aircraft's location, long after flyaway (ie, p4 somehow registered it's last, ahem, "crash," location with app, but for whatever reason isn't showing up in log)?

The end of the green line in my image above is the last location DJI GO recorded. At that point the downlink disconnected. It's unclear whether or not the remote controller disconnected at the same time.

Now could be a chance the wind carried it off as I believe sports mode is also known as ATTI mode.
Neon Euc

Neon,

Just a quick correction. Sport mode is NOT the same as ATTI mode.

Two separate regimes of flight.

AD

Reactions: Neon Euc
Because RTH failed, I figure that's when rc also disconnected - unless that failed because of being in gps dead zone thus not knowing which way home was - but the sound became fainter while I was waiting on RTH & continued getting fainter as I eased right stick forward, then nothing when I tried "making noise" with full throttle. When I stopped touching sticks and went running after it, the sound outran me

Are you sure it's registered as landed? It shows last known location "at log time of 16m 30s
and altitude of 737.9 f"

OK so despite the battery voltage being quite low it wasn't dangerous as the cells was all good.

I notices that it also is registered as landed so that's a very good sign. It also landed with quite a lot of satellites. View attachment 74935

Neon Euc

Are you sure it's registered as landed? It shows last known location "at log time of 16m 30s
and altitude of 737.9 f"

Actually this is conflicting. I was always led to believe that it will register as landed, if signal is lost then it will remain unknown
1485921945501.png
but the other report just says "end"

Makes me wonder how it could have registered as landed at 21% as that does need to be triggered when the props stop
1485922011141.png

Neon Euc

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic