Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together...

I understand from some (did not check myself), when it fails the chip/switch connects to ground.

If it grounds, then that will make it fail even the link has been set.
That means the chip has to be removed or the pins cut (disconnected).

That would explain it. Thank you so much. I will work on removing that chip and report back when it is done.

Thanks again,
R

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

First test is promising. I don't want to get over-excited... but am! Think the mod worked... tomorrow I will test it extensively but made a flight today to 230 metres (755 ft). It does not sound much, but it is a big difference from what I was getting before the MOD.

UPDATE: Flown line of sight over the sea at 50 m height (165 ft) to a distance of 498 m (1634 ft) before it lost signal and started auto rh. Not the best range ever, but much better than before.

So, first of all, thanks to several people for pointing me in the right direction: @HappyStandardOwner @agteigarnet @RodPad & @Stazz. Thank you Alll!

I thought that I could leave here some tips to those who follow. To apply the MOD that was proposed by @HappyStandardOwner with the tweak by @agteigarnet you will need to make some preparation, and have basic knowledge in soldering. However, it is not impossible to the humble mortals like me. Here are my tips:

1. Read the posts before this one, especially those by @HappyStandardOwner & @agteigarnet
2. Get a decent workshop; you will need a few tools and material:
a. Soldering iron and good quality solder
b. A short length of thin insulated electrical wire. I used a wire that was 0.7 mm (0.03'') in diameter (measured with a calliper)
IMG_20180703_121757.jpg
c. Fixed magnifying lens. Optional, but it will help a lot!
IMG_20180703_114724.jpg
IMG_20180703_114735.jpg
d. Tweezers
e. Scalpel, X-acto or other very sharp tool to remove the malfunctioning S20 chip
f. Good lighting

These are VERY small parts, and a challenging soldering. Just to give an idea, here is my finger close to the working area
IMG_20180702_171515.jpg

3. Make sure your soldering iron has a small enough tip. If not, you can improvise one using a copper wire twisted around the iron tip; if necessary you can further sharpen the tip with a file.
IMG_20180704_160738.jpg

4. DO NOT attempt to make the MOD without training. I spent one afternoon practising with an old electronic board and the next morning I trained a little more before attempting the MOD. This will show you what can go wrong and give some muscle memory.
5. Cut the wire to the desired length (less than 1 cm; 0.4''), expose a small amount of the metal wiring (~1 mm; 0.04'') on both sides and apply solder to the ends, leaving a very small (almost undetectable) drop of solder.
6. Crack the drone open (if you never did it, watch some videos before you do it). REMOVE BATTERY! Locate the metal rectangle with the little holes and gently pop it open with a small screwdriver.
7. Remove the damaged chip (refer to the posts by @HappyStandardOwner & @agteigarnet). For me, this was one of the trickiest parts. Perhaps I should have tried to de-solder it, but I was assured by a friend it should pop out easily with the stroke of an X-acto blade. It did not. I finally used a scalpel blade and it took me a few trials before it popped out. I have no way of saying which is the best method to do this, HOWEVER, this seems to be an essential step to make the MOD work properly.
8. With a COLD soldering iron, practice your movements over and over again.
9. When you are confident you nailed it, plug in the soldering iron and do the soldering: with the tweezers hold one of the ends of the wire to the end of the SMD capacitor close to the chip and touch it with the soldering iron for just one second, max. It should stick there really fast. If not, let everything cool, review the solder on the wire and try again. Then do the same with the other end of the wire to only one of the antenna capacitors (again, refer to @agteigarnet post on this).

Below an example of the finished job

P7040002.JPG

10. The choice of antenna capacitor seems to be free. Other people here made it to the top one; I made it to the top one and then changed to the lower one, and it seems to be working.

Below an example of the connection to the top capacitor (top image) and then to the bottom capacitor (bottom image). Notice that in these pics the chip was still attached to the board. It needs to be removed to ensure the mod works, as in the image above.

MOD1smlst.jpg

11.Finally, I suggest isolating the area from moisture in some way. I used a professional coating spray (nano protect) but I believe a drop of hot glue would do the trick.

REMEMBER: this is a delicate and dangerous MOD. If you choose to do it, be aware that you can damage the drone to a point of no repair. Be warned: some people have attempted this and bricked the drone. If you have a choice, send it to servicing by DJI. If you do not have a choice, make sure you understand all the steps, practice, practice, practice, and GOOD LUCK! As anyone in here, I cannot take any responsibility for the outcome if this MOD...

Just for fun, here are plots of the signal before and after the MOD (from AirData)

Before

before.jpg

After

after.jpg

Wish everyone well and happy flights!

Last edited:
@rprieto,
Wow I'm really impressed with your efforts, fixing of coarse, but you taking the time to post pictures and tips!

thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Rod

Reactions: Greybush
The least I can do to contribute to the community ... Tks
Wow.. what an awesome post, perfectly descriptive, I think it will help others with this PS3
Issue,
If you got the time could you let me know why you chose the bottom contact after the top one, I might of missed the reason and also I never removed that chip, I was so paranoid of bricking it with just the mod, that removing that looked like a no going back issue,Do you think that dud chip is resisting signal?man I hate opening up that bird, it’s already got a few cracks, but if removing the chip will help the signal strength more then, snap crackel pop.
Thanks again for the great post ,we all have to help each other
Lol, I just read the prior posts before yours that explain the reason to remove the chip,well I guess I’m going in

Last edited:
Sorry for taking so long @Stazz For some reason I am not receiving updates from the forum. Have to check what is wrong.

I tried the top capacitor, turned everything on and received a weak signal loss message. That was why I decided to try the lower one. Still had weak signal after that change. As @agteigarnet mentioned in some cases the damaged may ground and that may in turn make the mod not work. I then removed (with some difficulty ) the s20 chip and it started working. I decided to not move the wire back to the top to reduce the chances of damaging what seemed to be working.

I think the grounding does not have to happen every time. If it is working, I would not risk it, and would leave the chip there.

Hope this was clear.. English is not my first language.
R

Also if anyone is interested, I flew again today and got all the way out to 3,800 Ft. so that fix really did the trick

I have a few questions about removing the chip.
What temperature did you run the hot air gun at?
Did you remove to board from the housing when using the hot air gun?
Where you able to update or downgrade after removing the IC?

Thanks

@Snipeoff,
Good Video!

Do you think this is caused by a specific Firmware?

I think as stated in this post, it is the procedure that is the cause, not the Firmware.
Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together...

You are modifying hardware that was working before an update.

Firmware destroys Hardware, Really?
Phantom 3 Standard Range Issue is a Common Problem :eek:

My very first thread on this Forum. :rolleyes:
Phantom 3-Std Weak Remote Signal

I think the gyroscope on the landing gear is a compass?

I now have over 50 bookmarks of threads on this forum of this symptom.

Rod

index.jpg

BTW: P3S => Fly-it or Fryware-it (Rod)

Reactions: Philltayl
Best I can tell the 1.9.2 update caused my problems.

As far as the firmware or procedure i can't really be sure.

Ya I think that is the compass.

So ya all i can figure is it has something to do with that update, I had great range before it, and after it was really bad.

Thx for the kind words on my video ;)

Reactions: RodPad
Hi Fellows,
Thank you very much for your effort and stubborness in getting this issue solved.
I have just made this mod, however I was not using a kapton tape for protection of adjacent elements when desoldering faullty chip with a hot air and a capacitor that I was supposed to solder a jumper to was blown out :( eventually I ended up with a permanent capacitor damage (the one marked with arrow in attached picture). I soldered the jumper to the capacitor on the left. The range improved significantly, however I would like to make things like they should be.

Can anyone tell me my broken capacitor parameters please?

BR,
Łukasz
p3s radio 5.8.JPG

Reactions: RodPad
Small?,
Sorry, just doing a bump. ;)

Rod

Well, basically size is not an issue here provided you have to remove a chip and solder a jumper between capacitors. Elements are rare, you have a plenty of room to operate. My bad was I have not used kapton tape and desoldered a capacitor unnecesarily, then it started to be a bit problematic :)

Last edited:
Hi @szupek

I am not sure if I can be of much help. I do not know the specs for the capacitor. The best images I know from a P3 tear-down are those from Scott Torborg (DJI Phantom 3 Standard Teardown) and from those it appears that the capacitors ID is not stated, at least not on top.

They are obviously colour coded however I am not sure if this can help you (I have zero knowledge in electronics). However, it does seem that missing one capacitor may not be disastrous but can cause problems on some scenarios (https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/capacitor/cap_7.html).

Good luck and if you can, post whatever you find.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

First test is promising. I don't want to get over-excited... but am! Think the mod worked... tomorrow I will test it extensively but made a flight today to 230 metres (755 ft). It does not sound much, but it is a big difference from what I was getting before the MOD.

UPDATE: Flown line of sight over the sea at 50 m height (165 ft) to a distance of 498 m (1634 ft) before it lost signal and started auto rh. Not the best range ever, but much better than before.

So, first of all, thanks to several people for pointing me in the right direction: @HappyStandardOwner @agteigarnet @RodPad & @Stazz. Thank you Alll!

I thought that I could leave here some tips to those who follow. To apply the MOD that was proposed by @HappyStandardOwner with the tweak by @agteigarnet you will need to make some preparation, and have basic knowledge in soldering. However, it is not impossible to the humble mortals like me. Here are my tips:

1. Read the posts before this one, especially those by @HappyStandardOwner & @agteigarnet
2. Get a decent workshop; you will need a few tools and material:
a. Soldering iron and good quality solder
b. A short length of thin insulated electrical wire. I used a wire that was 0.7 mm (0.03'') in diameter (measured with a calliper)
View attachment 100837
c. Fixed magnifying lens. Optional, but it will help a lot!
View attachment 100838
View attachment 100839
d. Tweezers
e. Scalpel, X-acto or other very sharp tool to remove the malfunctioning S20 chip
f. Good lighting

These are VERY small parts, and a challenging soldering. Just to give an idea, here is my finger close to the working area
View attachment 100840

3. Make sure your soldering iron has a small enough tip. If not, you can improvise one using a copper wire twisted around the iron tip; if necessary you can further sharpen the tip with a file.
View attachment 100836

4. DO NOT attempt to make the MOD without training. I spent one afternoon practising with an old electronic board and the next morning I trained a little more before attempting the MOD. This will show you what can go wrong and give some muscle memory.
5. Cut the wire to the desired length (less than 1 cm; 0.4''), expose a small amount of the metal wiring (~1 mm; 0.04'') on both sides and apply solder to the ends, leaving a very small (almost undetectable) drop of solder.
6. Crack the drone open (if you never did it, watch some videos before you do it). REMOVE BATTERY! Locate the metal rectangle with the little holes and gently pop it open with a small screwdriver.
7. Remove the damaged chip (refer to the posts by @HappyStandardOwner & @agteigarnet). For me, this was one of the trickiest parts. Perhaps I should have tried to de-solder it, but I was assured by a friend it should pop out easily with the stroke of an X-acto blade. It did not. I finally used a scalpel blade and it took me a few trials before it popped out. I have no way of saying which is the best method to do this, HOWEVER, this seems to be an essential step to make the MOD work properly.
8. With a COLD soldering iron, practice your movements over and over again.
9. When you are confident you nailed it, plug in the soldering iron and do the soldering: with the tweezers hold one of the ends of the wire to the end of the SMD capacitor close to the chip and touch it with the soldering iron for just one second, max. It should stick there really fast. If not, let everything cool, review the solder on the wire and try again. Then do the same with the other end of the wire to only one of the antenna capacitors (again, refer to @agteigarnet post on this).

Below an example of the finished job

View attachment 100842

10. The choice of antenna capacitor seems to be free. Other people here made it to the top one; I made it to the top one and then changed to the lower one, and it seems to be working.

Below an example of the connection to the top capacitor (top image) and then to the bottom capacitor (bottom image). Notice that in these pics the chip was still attached to the board. It needs to be removed to ensure the mod works, as in the image above.

View attachment 100841

11.Finally, I suggest isolating the area from moisture in some way. I used a professional coating spray (nano protect) but I believe a drop of hot glue would do the trick.

REMEMBER: this is a delicate and dangerous MOD. If you choose to do it, be aware that you can damage the drone to a point of no repair. Be warned: some people have attempted this and bricked the drone. If you have a choice, send it to servicing by DJI. If you do not have a choice, make sure you understand all the steps, practice, practice, practice, and GOOD LUCK! As anyone in here, I cannot take any responsibility for the outcome if this MOD...

Just for fun, here are plots of the signal before and after the MOD (from AirData)

Before

View attachment 100848

After

View attachment 100849

Wish everyone well and happy flights!

Show me your results fro the same place please

Hi @szupek

I am not sure if I can be of much help. I do not know the specs for the capacitor. The best images I know from a P3 tear-down are those from Scott Torborg (DJI Phantom 3 Standard Teardown) and from those it appears that the capacitors ID is not stated, at least not on top.

They are obviously colour coded however I am not sure if this can help you (I have zero knowledge in electronics). However, it does seem that missing one capacitor may not be disastrous but can cause problems on some scenarios (https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/capacitor/cap_7.html).

Good luck and if you can, post whatever you find.

Thanks for the info.
Unfortunatelly my current setup without one capacitor causes intermittent signal strength decreases that are triggering RTH when quad is like 500 - 600m away from me. I have like 4 p3s at the moment at my house and I will try to detect capacity on a workig one, but I still don't know it's type,potential polarity, etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4