Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together...

I followed steps very carefully, for each rcS file on drone and rc added that lines and now I can't see WiFi at all. :(

If editing the text file at windows, pls use notepad++ (Linux text file is 7bit, and windows is 8bit)
when uploading file via ftp, pls use acsii mode

hope this can help

Is there a way I can check which mode my remote is on without connecting to wifi? And if i live in us and bought p3s in us will I for sure have the good powered remote?

Ojcze Nasz, your effort is just great and very interesting for all us P3S owners who just wish a little more range with the FCC :grinning:

/nooby

I have ordered a new remote. $189AUD. Won't be trying this again

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What was your firmware version?
It was latest, around 1.6.8 or smth like that. I have full control on aircraft, can fly but there is no wifi listed on any device. I used OSX with sublime for editing, each command exacly the same with only difference 2000 instead of 2700.

Two persons got some troubles with the method and so far I wasn't able to get into the remote via TTL serial, still looking for a way but I don't even know if it's possible... Btw I suggest to proceed with extreme precautions and as SingLag said "If editing the text file at windows, pls use notepad++ (Linux text file is 7bit, and windows is 8bit) when uploading file via ftp, pls use acsii mode"

Pay attention to the firmware version too. I'm not certain it really matters but in doubt..

I used the P3C_FW_V01.06.0080.bin and still didn't have any trouble with the remote's wifi

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about problems with remote. It certainly wasn't my intention. You've been warned however.
Foda is right about keeping FTP connection in ASCII might be neccessary to check the settings.
I use linux and recommend doing it in linux.

I have found out what's under 192.168.1.3
You can FTP to it , you'll be given access to DCIM folder. You can wirelessly download your movies/pictures from drone without having to monkey around with micro SD card.

ftp://[email protected]

Username : default
Password :
(no password)

You can also access 192.168.1.3 by telnet, login "default" , no password. You'll be given very limited shell. Do not mess around there, I don't want to hear anymore about bricked drones.

Can we use terminal (telnet or ssh) at android/ios, and use rmmod + insmod to reload the modules (/lib/modules/3.10.49/ath9k_hw.ko) on the fly ?
"iw dev wlan0 set txpower fixed 2700" should be Ok to change on the fly

You have to re-do everytime when you reboot the drone/controller, but it will be safe because setting will be restore after a reboot

we need an app-base program to force FCC + set higher tx power by one click (base on some shell command to change setting on the fly)

Last edited:
Reactions: Outbreak
Yes, enabling telnet is also possible.
Again in rcS file (same one)

Change:
#telnetd -l /bin/ash &

To:
telnetd -l /bin/ash &

(simply remove the # )

Reboot the remote, and voila , you can now telnet as root.

I do not recommend leaving telnet enabled for flying...

I have a feeling I just opened up a pandora box and I will be blamed heavily for bricked drones...

Well.... Do not do it then....

Change:
#telnetd -l /bin/ash &

To:
telnetd -l /bin/ash &

(simply remove the # )

I have a feeling I just opened up a pandora box and I will be blamed heavily for bricked drones...

then we should change the root password, otherwise anyone can ftp access to drone/controller and overwrite file......
at least, change the the SSID default password

Change:
#telnetd -l /bin/ash &

To:
telnetd -l /bin/ash &

(simply remove the # )

by changing the country to BO, it should allow us to set txpower to 33dbm (1Watt !!)
I'm not 100% sure and will try after enable telnet, my phantom default is FCC mode, so I can just set txpower on the fly....much safe

found a file call "reset" under \etc\rc.button\, it seem you can press a button for 5Sec while boot up, and it will force restore to everything default for bricked drones/controller, but I'm not sure what button is configed by DJI....:worried:

#!/bin/sh

[ "${ACTION}" = "released" ] || exit 0

. /lib/functions.sh

logger "$BUTTON pressed for $SEEN seconds"

if [ "$SEEN" -lt 1 ]
then
echo "REBOOT" > /dev/console
sync
reboot
elif [ "$SEEN" -gt 5 ]
then
echo "FACTORY RESET" > /dev/console
jffs2reset -y && reboot &
fi

found a file call "reset" under \etc\rc.button\, it seem you can press a button for 5Sec while boot up, and it will force restore to everything default for bricked drones/controller, but I'm not sure what button is configed by DJI....:worried:

#!/bin/sh

. /lib/functions.sh

if [ "$SEEN" -lt 1 ]
then
sync
reboot
elif [ "$SEEN" -gt 5 ]
then
fi

Nice to hear that but which button ? :D
In the internet there is a procedure to press button on mainboard but I don't see any ( at the back of motherboard )

#!/bin/sh

. /lib/functions.sh

if [ "$SEEN" -lt 1 ]
then
sync
reboot
elif [ "$SEEN" -gt 5 ]
then
fi
Looks like a part of code from the dji phantom 2 or something?

Change:
#telnetd -l /bin/ash &

To:
telnetd -l /bin/ash &

(simply remove the # )

Well, you can't be blamed for trying to improve knowledges about this drone and its system... You did a very great job so far and we're all aware of the risks that occur in such procedure.

So now we have to think about how to proceed safely or at least in a way that won't brick devices definitely. I think if the telnet method allow you to restore config with reboot it's worth a try.

Brilliant work Ojcze!

This made me wonder if the range of channels gets expanded to the extra few in the USA? Maybe you have found the '32-channel hack' for the Standard? ;-)

really though, I think you need to get out there and fly your new toy!

Have fun and safe flying!

Terry

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj