Phantom 3 Professional sudden flip and crash (FlightRecord vid p.2, LogData .csv p.3)

I had a similar issue about a month ago. I had taken off and was flying about four feet above the ground when for no apparent reason the P3P turned upside down and into the wet grass. I used the air compressor to clean as much water/grass as possible. I flew three more flights but on the third flight as I was about to land, the camera gimbal went berserk. The camera was still working fine. I discussed it with DJI and they finally told me to return it to them. I know it was received by them but I have heard nothing regarding the status. At the time I only owned one battery so I could not try that again. I did recharge the system but the but gimbal still did not work. DJI has had my machine longer than I have...

On my first p3 flight, while descending at 10 ft, two right side props stopped dead, bird flipped. Two right side motors would not start for 10 min (have flown p2v+ for 18 months)
Had you done an IMU (not compass) calibration after you received your unit?

It's well known that shipping throws these WAY off and could cause such a situation. In any normal situation - as you know from your P2 - this should never happen. I've only heard a handful of these and have no way of knowing if they did the IMU calibration beforehand.

The IMU is a mechanical device (a level, pendulum, etc.) and is subject to getting out of whack.

Yesterday I was hanging out at the beach and planned to do some footage. The location was around 100 km from my place. So, got down to the beach, turned on Tx, then the bird, then calibrated successfully, started the motors manually and took off. I let it hover for around a minute or so, everything was fine, light winds (5-6km/h), 19 satellites at the present. I hit forward like I normally would to fly it straight forward altogether with ascending as well then suddenly it flipped and crashed upside down to the sand :( The reason of the crash is still unknown, I have seen nothing wrong with the bird or Tx then it suddenly happened. Unfortunately, everything is still in good working order except for four motors were covered in a bit of sand. I went home and tested it again after spending 3 hours cleaning all the sand in all 4 motors, it worked and I still wonder if I need to take this matter to DJI warranty. I am definitely not confident enough to fly my P3P now. I am now on my 47 flight and took off at 100% battery (30-cycle) when this happened. I am still lucky enough to keep it in one piece.
Picture of the flight record for now, that was me trying to execute CSC when it flipped. I would try to pull the flight log later.
This happened to me with a Phantom 2. Flying along at 300' altitude, moving to port side taking video, when I decided to come home and gave it aft stick to slowly back away from the site and return to home point when it instantly flipped on its back side, accelerated at full throttle, and flew at 45 MPH in a gradual descent right into the ground. $160 in parts needed (so far) replacing, including the frame, 2 props, one ESC, and the main motherboard. One lower H3-3D gimbal bracket arm was bent but I fixed that. GoPro was undamaged. Until I get it all re-soldered I don't know what else may be damaged.

Hello Craig
I am going to Tenerife soon and there is black sand there. I was planning to calibrate, how to do so there?
I did not understand your comment part about the distance to the beach.
Thanks

Calibrate the P3, prior to hitting the beach. If you calibrate it 1 mole away, it will still be ok for flight.

Reactions: Dapering
Hello Craig
I am going to Tenerife soon and there is black sand there. I was planning to calibrate, how to do so there?
I did not understand your comment part about the distance to the beach.
Thanks

If you are going to be flying at the beach, or over water, I would suggest a polarizing filter, and/or ND filters.
I purchased a set from polarprofilters.com.
They work great

Reactions: Dapering
If you are going to be flying at the beach, or over water, I would suggest a polarizing filter, and/or ND filters.
I purchased a set from polarprofilters.com.
They work great

I am getting the Polarpro 6 pack now, thanks.

Isn't it just a case of losing position sensing due to VPS being turned off and poor GPS altitude sensing?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj