Phantom 3 Professional Fly Away

My question still hasn't been answered though, why would you go over water that fast after the first crash. This just doesn't make any sense to me? You really didn't even test the bird. You just B lined it at full throttle....

I'm thinking the same thing. Believe me, I feel for ya Tyler, that's a bunch of money acting as a mini reef. But you said it yourself in post #87...

I knew something was off as soon as it took off.
it drifted and flew crooked.

If you're thinking something is not right, why in the world would you take off full bore?! Over water no less. I'm not saying something didn't go wrong, I haven't reviewed the data and won't. But take it easy for the full battery. Heck, I've even tethered mine just to be safe.

Personally, if I launch and ANYTHING doesn't seem right, I land.

Correct me if I am wrong but there was no sonic error on this one.

I could be wrong but im sure its the first error when you look at the flight record.

Yea just looked again and it is.

Last edited:
A $1K device can and should do better. Do you know how little a second compass would cost? About $1, at most, maybe lower with DJI's economy of scale and purchasing power. Even 3D Robotics has two independent IMUs and compasses on board these days. Come on DJI, stop cutting corners. This reminds me of the NAZA SAW filter debacle...

Reactions: StevenQX
No it wasn't a ss error i had, it was just the compass flicking it into P atti. Not trying to argue with you saying it is the ss error that is to blame tho, and you are the last person i would try debate any P3 issue with as i know you know your onions when it comes to the P3. I was just pointing out that this error has been thrown on nearly every crash that's all, and wondered if it had played a part. Its probably not, but im sure if the NTSB were looking into these crashes they would look at this. Again not pointing a finger at it, it was just a thought of possibility.

Fully understand, not arguing as well. Every one has great ideas and such but we really need to just not jump to conclusions. We have tens of thousands of p3's in the air, there will be cases of failures. Not saying this was one or not since its not my job to do so.

Fully understand, not arguing as well. Every one has great ideas and such but we really need to just not jump to conclusions. We have tens of thousands of p3's in the air, there will be cases of failures. Not saying this was one or not since its not my job to do so.

Yep i agree blade.

A $1K device can and should do better. Do you know how little a second compass would cost? About $1, at most, maybe lower with DJI's economy of scale and purchasing power. Even 3D Robotics has two independent IMUs and compasses on board these days. Come on DJI, stop cutting corners. This reminds me of the NAZA SAW filter debacle...

The solo isn't even in customer hands... But feel free to contact dji with your ideas and suggestions.

The solo isn't even in customer hands... But feel free to contact dji with your ideas and suggestions.
The Pixhawk has been in customer hands for over 2 years, and has two independent IMUs and compasses. Don't you work for DJI? I thought I *was* contacting DJI by talking to you :) Obviously not. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

Man! I don't even want to post to this thread, it seems like all the professionals are in here already! But if I have any info that might help, I have to jump in, n00bness and all....Hope this helps.

I don't think a bird strike is going to end in a gradual crash. Physical damage to props will end quickly. And again birds don't cause compass/speed errors. Something else was going on.

Not to be argumentative, but I wouldn't be so sure Ian. I had a (unnoticed) failed prop and my bird flew, oddly, but flew....I'd almost describe it as more gradual than sudden.

Mechanical failures don't keep you in the air that long. When a motor or ESC goes bad, the only possible direction is down. And if one motor should slow for whatever reason, it will zip off in one direction.

..that long? I had a whole flight with about an inch missing off my #4 prop. The copter will try its hardest to compensate. I had no obvious visible vibration, it didn't "zip off" in one direction. But it did "glitch" or "jolt" very very quickly, but recovered...then seemingly went away.

Is it possible that one of the props was fractured from the prior crash and failed causing the sudden jolt? There was another post on here where somebody didn't notice that they had a failed prop.

Exactly. That was me *blush* The jolting was there, then it settled, then it drifted, then it crashed

Here is how much of the prop was actually missing.

16987-8883ff1aa697cf611431db432ed3c37d.jpg

Here's a link to that post with flight videos

http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...flight-record-video.42904/page-14#post-399973

I'm thinking the same thing. Believe me, I feel for ya Tyler, that's a bunch of money acting as a mini reef. But you said it yourself in post #87...

If you're thinking something is not right, why in the world would you take off full bore?! Over water no less. I'm not saying something didn't go wrong, I haven't reviewed the data and won't. But take it easy for the full battery. Heck, I've even tethered mine just to be safe.

Personally, if I launch and ANYTHING doesn't seem right, I land.

I think this comes with experience. But it is a key lesson. We as pilots need to listen to the craft. If its acting funny from the get go, land.

I guess my years of flying single rotor taught me this key point.. Something doesn't feel right land it and dont fly until you have gone over the craft mechanically and software wise.

Reactions: Adam Kontras
The Pixhawk has been in customer hands for over 2 years, and has two independent IMUs and compasses. Don't you work for DJI? I thought I *was* contacting DJI by talking to you :) Obviously not. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

Not my job to tell the PMs how to design their craft... I would hope you could understand this but I see that you can not.

Not that I want to turn this into another comparison thread, but it is worth mentioning that SOLO has 3 IMUs which is pretty cool. But it has only 1 compass just like the P3. The reason being the compass doesn't typically fail. It reads what it gets pretty accurately (whereas gyros drift and accelerometers are noisy). The compass is simply vulnerable to a lot of external noise. 2 compasses would be subject to the same external factors and thus wouldn't fair any better than 1.

Reactions: blade strike
I can't wait to see the reality TV series about "reconstructing the most mysterious DJI Phantom 3 crashes". I find it quite odd that pretty much 100% of the crashes so far has been very mysterious and partially missing the evidence they actually did happen. (leaving out of course the skillful masters who think they can fly through the walls)

I can't wait to see the reality TV series about "reconstructing the most mysterious DJI Phantom 3 crashes". I find it quite odd that pretty much 100% of the crashes so far has been very mysterious and partially missing the evidence they actually did happen. (leaving out of course the skillful masters who think they can fly through the walls)

It could be on right after "Finding Bigfoot"

Reactions: Skyy
Blade while your on here, i know this is of topic but it has come up a few times on this thread. How important is RC calibration.

Blade while your on here, i know this is of topic but it has come up a few times on this thread. How important is RC calibration.

I have only see the tx calibration error once, coming from a warm car to below freezing temps. The tx alerted that calibration was required.

IMHO, this has nothing to do with these type of issues. This is more than likely damaged craft from first crash. But like I said not my call or even enough data for ME to know for sure.

I reviewed the manual and watched the DJI tutorials and nowhere is mention to calibrate the tx. I haven't and the P3 flies fine.

Edit: I should mention, for the first flight. Compass yes, that was all they said to do in that regard.

Last edited:
I have only see the tx calibration error once, coming from a warm car to below freezing temps. The tx alerted that calibration was required.

IMHO, this has nothing to do with these type of issues. This is more than likely damaged craft from first crash. But like I said not my call or even enough data for ME to know for sure.

No I didn't think it did for one minute, I only asked because I did not even know you could calibrate the tx so have not done it yet, so was wondering if this is something we should do if we have not all ready done so. Cheers again

I reviewed the manual and watched the DJI tutorials and nowhere is mention to calibrate the tx. I haven't and the P3 flies fine.

I did it. I would recommend calibrating the Remote Control out of the box ( but if you've been flying it already, I wouldn't be concerned)....

...but with that said, I don't think you'd ever have to do it ever again. OK, well, maybe (for piece of mind) if you replace a receiver or TX battery or something...

I did it. I would recommend calibrating the Remote Control out of the box ( but if you've been flying it already, I wouldn't be concerned)....

...but with that said, I don't think you'd ever have to do it ever again. OK, well, maybe if you replace a receiver or TX battery or something...

But the app would tell you it's needed. It's not like the P2 where you have to hook to a PC to see what's up.

Reactions: Motorotor

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl