Phantom 3 Professional Fly Away

How is that exactly? The compass thinks it's pointing NNW while the camera clearly shows it's pointing East. At many other points in the video it's 90 degrees off. How exactly does that show that the compass didn't "completely die"? If this was some kind of failure inside the compass chip, a second compass would not have been affected.

Also, do you think that your snarky, difficult comments reflect well on DJI? Do you remember what happened to Colin Guinn? Just thank me the suggestion, pass it on to the relevant engineers, and be done with it. That is all you need to do here. It should be embarrassing enough for Frank Wang that his own support staff doesn't know how to interpret flight logs, but if you are going to be misinformed, at least keep quiet about it.

Well I'm of course a noob, but shouldn't you actually ask for having not two, but three compasses? Otherwise how would your magic find out which one is likely to be wrong?

Atti or Attitude mode in short means for instance if you're at a hover and move the stick to go forward once you let go of the stick the phantom will still continue to "glide" in that direction....like skating on ice......it also means if there is a wind and you're at a hover the phantom will move with the wind. And OPTI or Optical (flow sensor) is the VPS system with sonar and camera on the bottom back of the bird and this system is used at times when your satellite lock is no existant or drops below the required amount. The idea is that it allows for a more stable hover indoors as the wind refracting off all those surfaces has in the past made indoor phantom flying extremely risky imo.

Thanks.

Doesn't matter is it was calibrated there. The rebar in there does exactly this.. Once the craft escapes the rebar the compass goes nuts...just like we see in the video.

This is why I always suggest to bring the craft into a hover for the first minute of flight. This will give you enough time to realize that something isn't right.

OK, so can we come up with a pre flight procedure? I've had weird messages asking for IMU or compass calibration too, and I did have an off horizon. Already what I'd like to have in the app is one single place for calibration. I keep forgetting where to tap for the different calibrations, and if it is so important, these things should be right accessible with only one tap.

That's what calibration takes into account, this is why on other craft you should make sure everything is powered on, including the camera. This gives the compass a known basis.

On a craft this small there is nowhere else to put the compass..

I've an add-on question here. I am planning to use the P3 off our boat during summer time. Like, flying around little islands. Now, that's a 14 m, 20 t steel boat. From what I read here, I'd better also bring my diving gear?

I've an add-on question here. I am planning to use the P3 off our boat during summer time. Like, flying around little islands. Now, that's a 14 m, 20 t steel boat. From what I read here, I'd better also bring my diving gear?
Well, if you have diving gear, sure! Why wouldn't you want to dive off a boat by islands?

Otherwise, just do your compass calibration on shore, away from magnetic metal, and your bird won't end up in the drink.

Well, if you have diving gear, sure! Why wouldn't you want to dive off a boat by islands?

Otherwise, just do your compass calibration on shore, away from magnetic metal, and your bird won't end up in the drink.

Well but can I start off the boat? When I last time suffered from a sudden surge of intelligence and powered on my P3 on the top of my car, it clearly told me about big compass problems.

Usually a case or backpack is sufficient to prevent interference.

Doesn't this mean that the home point will be set for there and not on/near the boat?

I too have a friend with a boat and was hoping for some awesome out at sea footage.

Doesn't this mean that the home point will be set for there and not on/near the boat?

I too have a friend with a boat and was hoping for some awesome out at sea footage.
Your home point will be established when you start the bird. The point is, don't try to calibrate the compass near metal and don't take off from a surface which has metal in it. You'll be fine taking off from a case or wood table. Many boats are fiberglass or aluminum which wouldn't be as much to worry about.

The home point on a boat is pretty worthless unless you're tied to a dock.

I had the same thing happen 2 days ago. Got good GPS, 14 sats, green light. Shortly after take off my drone took off, I hit the home button and it acc full speed. Traveled 1500+ feet until it hit the roof at an apartment complex. Completely distroyed, non salvageable. Sent it in to DJI in CA, crossing fingers they do the right thing. I have over 300 flights with no issues until a couple days ago. And to top that off, my buddy who is a SOLO flyer was there. He bashes on DJI all the time and we have had many debates about our drones. :/

I had the same thing happen 2 days ago. Got good GPS, 14 sats, green light. Shortly after take off my drone took off, I hit the home button and it acc full speed. Traveled 1500+ feet until it hit the roof at an apartment complex. Completely distroyed, non salvageable. Sent it in to DJI in CA, crossing fingers they do the right thing. I have over 300 flights with no issues until a couple days ago. And to top that off, my buddy who is a SOLO flyer was there. He bashes on DJI all the time and we have had many debates about our drones. :/
That sucks! Did the home point set? Do you remember?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic