Phantom 2 + Zenmuse H3-3D : FLIR Duo R

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm wanting to build a relatively low budget thermal imaging drone, And I am struggling to find adequate information about the intergration between the DJI Phantom 2 with the H3-3D Gimbal and the flir Duo R camera.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has done this build previously, or technically knows enough about what the manuals are saying before i buy the parts to make it work.

From the information i have it will fit into the Gimbal straight out of the box, but as i don't yet have the Phantom and Gimbal, I am not sure of the Gimbals ability to supply power and control the camera, or if the video output from the camera is transmittable for FPV (And if it is what transmiter would be best suited).

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/Store/Products/sUAS/Duo/FLIR-Duo-User-Guide.pdf

Reactions: scott90fzr
Hi All,

I'm wanting to build a relatively low budget thermal imaging drone, And I am struggling to find adequate information about the intergration between the DJI Phantom 2 with the H3-3D Gimbal and the flir Duo R camera.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has done this build previously, or technically knows enough about what the manuals are saying before i buy the parts to make it work.

From the information i have it will fit into the Gimbal straight out of the box, but as i don't yet have the Phantom and Gimbal, I am not sure of the Gimbals ability to supply power and control the camera, or if the video output from the camera is transmittable for FPV (And if it is what transmiter would be best suited).

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/Store/Products/sUAS/Duo/FLIR-Duo-User-Guide.pdf

According to FLIR measurements, the length and width will not onto the camera plate of the gimbal and 5 volts to supply power to a GoPro camera is from 8 pin gimbal cable is on pins 5 & 6. Now whether USB connector and ribbon cable have the same output configuration that the flir camera has is a different story. The only way to find out for sure would be to connect GoPro but it's highly unlikely they'll give that info.

Hi All,

Simon,
I purchased a Phantom 2 with the H4-D3 gimbal off Ebay $345. Other Items purchased:

FLIR Duo IR camera $1000, fits in the H4-D3 or H3-D3 (I have one of these also) with some slight modification to the mount strap piece, some balance weight is required (1/4 oz or so).
Lumenier AXII 5.8GHz Antenna (RHCP) (2pcs) $40
iOSD Mini Plug and Play Cable DJI Phantom 2 Fat Shark ImmersionRC TX PNP FPV - Ebay $25
ImmersionRC Raceband 5.8GHz 600mW A/V Transmitter $49
DJI iOSD Mini - OSD for Naza and Wookong $59
How to setup:
#7: DJI Phantom 2 - Complete FPV Setup Guide & Test - Step-By-Step!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
How to install the anti-interference board:
#5: DJI Phantom 2 - H3-3D Gimbal Installation Guide & Review:

Total cost so far $1518 for an IR Drone with FPV video feed!!
I am planning on installing:
DJI Datalink 2.4ghz Bluetooth (will plug right into canbus port on iOSD mini) @$185
2 more batteries @$110

Notes: The gimbal works great, I can tilt the camera with the Dial on the Phantom 2 Controller.
The FLIR Duo sends picture in picture video through the Video Tx so the full color image and the IR image is available on a video receiver/googles.
The FLIR camera has to be manually started to record before take off. I'm still looking into a way to accomplish this via the controller. (although bluetooth might be able to be used to accomplish this via the FLIR ios app).

Hope this helps you.
Scott

Simon,
I purchased a Phantom 2 with the H4-D3 gimbal off Ebay $345. Other Items purchased:

FLIR Duo IR camera $1000, fits in the H4-D3 or H3-D3 (I have one of these also) with some slight modification to the mount strap piece, some balance weight is required (1/4 oz or so).
iOSD Mini Plug and Play Cable DJI Phantom 2 Fat Shark ImmersionRC TX PNP FPV - Ebay $25
How to setup:

DJI Datalink 2.4ghz Bluetooth (will plug right into canbus port on iOSD mini) @$185
2 more batteries @$110

Notes: The gimbal works great, I can tilt the camera with the Dial on the Phantom 2 Controller.
The FLIR Duo sends picture in picture video through the Video Tx so the full color image and the IR image is available on a video receiver/googles.
The FLIR camera has to be manually started to record before take off. I'm still looking into a way to accomplish this via the controller. (although bluetooth might be able to be used to accomplish this via the FLIR ios app).

Hope this helps you.
Scott

Someone had a smile on his/her on their way to the bank. The price of H4-3D gimbals on eBay run anywhere from $232 - $179 new.

Someone had a smile on his/her on their way to the bank. The price of H4-3D gimbals on eBay run anywhere from $232 - $179 new.
Read it closer. Phantom 2 drone including the H4-D3. Not just the H4.
Thanks for playing.
S

Simon,

How to setup:

2 more batteries @$110

Hope this helps you.
Scott
Thanks so much Scott,
That is a massive help

I am currently looking at buying a DJI Phantom 2 that already has the H3-3D Gimbal plus a GoPro 3 Silver plus the DJI iOSD Mini and the DJI (LK24BT) 2.4GHz Data Link set up on it for about $750 AUD including 3 batteries (about $600 USD) and I have lined up a brand new FLIR Duo R for just over $800 AUD.

Should I be looking at adding a 5.8GHz Transmitter to this set up as well?

Thanks so much Scott,
That is a massive help

I am currently looking at buying a DJI Phantom 2 that already has the H3-3D Gimbal plus a GoPro 3 Silver plus the DJI iOSD Mini and the DJI (LK24BT) 2.4GHz Data Link set up on it for about $750 AUD including 3 batteries (about $600 USD) and I have lined up a brand new FLIR Duo R for just over $800 AUD.

Should I be looking at adding a 5.8GHz Transmitter to this set up as well?

That sounds like a decent deal.
I do like having the video displayed on a monitor via the 5.8.
S

Simon,

How to setup:

2 more batteries @$110

Hope this helps you.
Scott
Scott,
Looking into a cheap thermal solution also. Im about to purchase a dji phantom 2 with the h3-d3 gimbal already attached, also already has downlink with monitor with the drone. My question is if a buy a flir duo, would I just need to hook up the flir and be good to go??

Scott,
Looking into a cheap thermal solution also. Im about to purchase a dji phantom 2 with the h3-d3 gimbal already attached, also already has downlink with monitor with the drone. My question is if a buy a flir duo, would I just need to hook up the flir and be good to go??

Which downlink?
I added the DJI 2.4G datalink to mine. That gives me telemetry on an ipad via bluetooth.
However for IR VIDEO, I added the video transmitter noted.
The Flir Duo plugs right into the gimbal usb type plug (same as a gopro,flir duo does not have a battery,balance gimbal with small weights) This passes video from Duo through the gimbal and allows camera power. The gimbal needs to be wired to the video transmitter with the cables as described in the videos.
Hope this helps.
S

Which downlink?
I added the DJI 2.4G datalink to mine. That gives me telemetry on an ipad via bluetooth.
However for IR VIDEO, I added the video transmitter noted.
The Flir Duo plugs right into the gimbal usb type plug (same as a gopro,flir duo does not have a battery,balance gimbal with small weights) This passes video from Duo through the gimbal and allows camera power. The gimbal needs to be wired to the video transmitter with the cables as described in the videos.
Hope this helps.
S

Thank you for the reply,
I’m not sure which downlink (checking on that now)but I’m assuming it has a downlink because the drone already has the Zenmuse H3 gimbal & monitor, etc. So of the drone has all this already I can plug the Duo up and go?

Thank you for the reply,
I’m not sure which downlink (checking on that now)but I’m assuming it has a downlink because the drone already has the Zenmuse H3 gimbal & monitor, etc. So of the drone has all this already I can plug the Duo up and go?

If it worked with a gopro it should work no problem with a duo. They have the same usb/video type output.
Biggest issues I have had are balancing the camera in the gimbal. It should sit level in all 3 directions with no power on gimbal. Once it is balanced you should have no problem.

Thanks so much Scott! Can you tell me what you used to balance weight and where to purchase?

Best,
Jesse

I just used miscellaneous small hardware. Found what worked and where then double back taped it on. I think you can see the nut in one of the pics just above the usb.

Ok Scott, I’ve confirmed yes the drone does already have the DJI datalink 2.4. I’ll attach pictures here. So if I hook a Flir up to this drone does the IR footage show on FPV screen? Do I have to use the Flir UAS app to control camera settings?Or can you control camera functions on FPV 7 inch monitor?

Jesse

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic