P4P+ No maps away from Wifi. What am I doing wrong? **Solved!!!** Phantom 4 Pro plus users will be happy to read this

Reaction score
Experienced RC flyer but new to DJI.

I have a Phantom 4 Pro Plus, version one. I've been practicing at home, about 10 flights so far.
Yesterday, I went up the street to simulate a flight away from home, and away from my home wifi.
I could never get the maps screen to come up.
Assumed downloading the maps of the area of planned flight would provide the info needed without needing / using Wifi or Cellular data.
The threads on this that I've read so far seem to be a bit dated, and some didn't seem to jive with the P4P+.
I turned off the Wifi in DJI 4 Go this morning to simulate what I saw yesterday and took a couple screen pics to help describe.
Need to get this sorted. It flew fine away from home yesterday but RTH is an option when this happens.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ken

Note that this is the 4 Plus version. Seems to be a different sort of animal.

How it looked yesterday away from home Wifi - Blank Maps box
092144uhb7ymbkzsqsf2ub.jpg

Home area of maps I downloaded prior to that flight
092810he9e422eleep7i79.jpg

Showing map I down loaded and renamed to my area
092811s6o2cekpzeo6ozqu.jpg

Wifi off to simulate what I saw yesterday.
092810gogra4ohswvc1ocw.jpg

Cell data off too
092811x66i7nz1qjfwi3j9.jpg

Cache settings
092812ya4eewfrcfnffjfw.jpg

All up to date
092812vu7l72effih0bto8.jpg

Maps appear after Wifi is turned on - at home
092812jiproezeefcouidl.jpg

Last edited:
Experienced RC flyer but new to DJI.

I have a Phantom 4 Pro Plus, version one. I've been practicing at home, about 10 flights so far.
Yesterday, I went up the street to simulate a flight away from home, and away from my home wifi.
Assumed downloading the maps of the area of planned flight would provide the info needed without needing / using Wifi or Cellular data.
The threads on this that I've read so far seem to be a bit dated, and some didn't seem to jive with the P4P+.
I turned off the Wifi in DJI 4 Go this morning to simulate what I saw yesterday and took a couple screen pics to help describe.
Need to get this sorted. It flew fine away from home yesterday but RTH is an option when this happens.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ken

Note that this is the 4 Plus version. Seems to be a different sort of animal.

How it looked yesterday away from home Wifi - Blank Maps box
092144uhb7ymbkzsqsf2ub.jpg

Home area of maps I downloaded prior to that flight
092810he9e422eleep7i79.jpg

Showing map I down loaded and renamed to my area
092811s6o2cekpzeo6ozqu.jpg

Wifi off to simulate what I saw yesterday.
092810gogra4ohswvc1ocw.jpg

Cell data off too
092811x66i7nz1qjfwi3j9.jpg

Cache settings
092812ya4eewfrcfnffjfw.jpg

All up to date
092812vu7l72effih0bto8.jpg

Maps appear after Wifi is turned on - at home
092812jiproezeefcouidl.jpg
Some of your screen shots are not familiar to me, but are you aware that you need to cache maps in GO and that caching via Google Maps will not work for this purpose? If you are caching in GO, sorry and disregard my comment. Also, if this is what you are doing you could try to restart the app. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Harleydude
Very easy fix. You MUST be connected to wi-fi or cellular for maps. You can cache the maps first as mentioned above. No worries.

Reactions: Harleydude
Addendum to my previous post. Once you cache the maps, you must turn off Wi-fi, for the cached maps to remain. Otherwise if you connect again it will clear the cache.

Are you aware that you need to cache maps in GO and that caching via Google Maps will not work for this purpose?

Not quite sure what your saying.

I thought by downloading the maps while I was in GO, I was also putting them in "Cache" to use later.

As far as I know, I am not / have not used Google maps with my P4P+. Not sure how Google Maps came into this equation.

Very easy fix. You MUST be connected to wi-fi or cellular for maps. You can cache the maps first as mentioned above. No worries.

Ok, That make a little more sense to me.
By downloading the maps ahead of time just lessen the amount of data that is transferred?

Do I need to setup a Hotspot on my iPhone?

I'm assuming then that the Cellular Data page is just there for those with a sim card on a tablet/iPad and really is not an option for PLUS model RC's.

Not quite sure what your saying.

I thought by downloading the maps while I was in GO, I was also putting them in "Cache" to use later.

As far as I know, I am not / have not used Google maps with my P4P+. Not sure how Google Maps came into this equation.
By downloading the maps ahead of time just lessen the amount of data that is transferred? Do I need to setup a Hotspot on my iPhone?
If you know that you will not have data access in the field, you cache maps in advance in GO when you do have data access. You do not need to set up a hotspot, but you could if you preferred that option. We often have people look at this info for more detail.

Addendum to my previous post. Once you cache the maps, you must turn off Wi-fi, for the cached maps to remain. Otherwise if you connect again it will clear the cache.

Ok... Lost me again.
If you could walk me through how to do this. I'd appreciate it.

I thought cache maps is what I did in the second and third pics.

If I do that, Then turn off Wifi, which is what I would need to do to use the hotspot on my phone, your saying that will clear the cache?

Trying to understand.

It's simple. If you know that you will not have data access in the field, you cache maps in advance in GO when you do have data access.
We often have people look at this info for more detail.

I saw a video describing zooming in and out on the area you want to cache to save that area but I think that only is for tablet/iPad users.

So confused..

I'll go check out that link.. Thanks

Reactions: Emporda immo
If you know that you will not have data access in the field, you cache maps in advance in GO when you do have data access. You do not need to set up a hotspot, but you could if you preferred that option. We often have people look at this info for more detail.

Checked out that link.
Looks like that's the procedure to use if your remote uses a tablet/iPad.

I'm using DJI GO 4 on the PLUS version remote controller.

Thanks for the help so far but I still don't know how this should work. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Reactions: Archaeo Drone
Unless there is something very different about the plus monitor, it should work as we have described. While connected to wi-fi...zoom in and out on the area you wish to fly. Then turn off the device wi-fi. The maps should be cached at that point, but only in the area that you have zoomed in and out of, any additional mapping will not be available outside of that area until you re-connect to wi-fi and change the area you wish to fly.

I'll have to try that zoom in and out method and see if it works on the PLUS.
Guess I wrongly assumed that downloading the area map was taking care of this.

Does the android/iPad version have the "Offline Map(s) Download" option (pic 2 above) and then to see which maps you've downloaded (pic 3)?

If so, or if not, I wonder what the purpose of downing a map is?

If so, or if not, I wonder what the purpose of downing a map is?
Cant really answer your question. GO4 uses mapbox.....which is horrible..IMO. Once upon a time they all used google maps. Litchi still does, and I do not fly with GO at all any more. I am just giving you the "old school" method, which I still use to this day.

Checked out that link.
Looks like that's the procedure to use if your remote uses a tablet/iPad.

Thanks for the help so far but I still don't know how this should work. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Hello CR125Honda,
I had the same problem and I think I figured it out. Bear with my bad phone photos.

Turn on Pro+ remote.
Turn on Wifi
Go back to the very first screen and choose the map icon.

image2.jpeg
There, you can put the map area that you would like to save in the blue box. Notice how tiny it is! It will change size as you zoom in on the map with two fingers.
image 3.jpeg

image 4.jpeg

Click Download. I was unable to rename the region because the type pad has a glitch, so I just saved the area as Region 1.
After the download, you can click on the map with pencil icon in the upper right and you will enter the map management screen. There, you can press on a region and you will get a menu to rename (doesn't work for me - same glitch) or delete.
image3.jpeg

Shutoff the wifi.
Go to the GO Fly screen (Enter Device). Make sure you have your maps set to Standard. Hybrid and Satellite will not work.
My map came up automatically.

I hope this helps you. I am going to try and save maps for the area that I am visiting on Monday and I hope it will work. I will update. :) - Alexandra

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Hello CR125Honda,
I had the same problem and I think I figured it out. Bear with my bad phone photos.
Click Download. I was unable to rename the region because the type pad has a glitch, so I just saved the area as Region 1.
After the download, you can click on the map with pencil icon in the upper right and you will enter the map management screen. There, you can press on a region and you will get a menu to rename (doesn't work for me - same glitch) or delete.

Shutoff the wifi.
Go to the GO Fly screen (Enter Device). Make sure you have your maps set to Standard. Hybrid and Satellite will not work.
My map came up automatically.

I hope this helps you. I am going to try and save maps for the area that I am visiting on Monday and I hope it will work. I will update. :) - Alexandra

Thanks Archaeo,
Knew I wasn't the lone ranger with a PLUS.

That might do it! I had my maps set to Hybrid!
Will report back shortly..

BTW - I found a work around to set the maps name. Mine has the same glitch.
Type a letter, the tap backspace, next letter, back space, etc., etc.,etc,..
Weird but it worked.

For me, Taylor Mill was -
T / backspace / a / backspace / y / backspace and so on.........

Last edited:
Thanks Archaeo,
Knew I wasn't the lone ranger with a PLUS.

That might do it! I had my maps set to Hybrid!
Will report back shortly..

BTW - I found a work around to set the maps name. Mine has the same glitch.
Type a letter, the tap backspace, next letter, back space, etc., etc.,etc,..
Weird but it worked.

For me, Taylor Mill was -
T / backspace / a / backspace / y / backspace and so on.........
You are welcome. Thanks for the tip. I am going to try that now! UPDATE - It worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: CR125Honda
You are welcome. Thanks for the tip. I am going to try that now! UPDATE - It worked.

Your welcome for the naming tip and Thank you so much!
I've been on this since noon today on two forums.
Taking it out of Hybrid and into Standard did the trick!

Made my day /evening!

Wifi off, Aircraft Disconnected
IMG_7177_edited-1.jpg

and

Wifi off, Aircraft Connected
IMG_7181_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
I am in contact with DJI about the typing glitch and I sent them all of the necessary information with screen shots.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic