One only has to do a quick search to discover a trend on battery ejections due to even minor crashes. I seem to remember a DJI moderator mentioning this as a safety design. See the link below:

Have you CRASHED? Did your battery fall out?
There are no DJI moderators here. As to what you might read on the DJI forum you need to exercise caution as to what extent you rely on it. I doubt it is a safety function. If the LiPO cells are going to cause a hazard following an impact or other failure being seperated from the drone is very unlikely to mitigate the danger or consequences.

Reactions: dirkclod
There are no DJI moderators here. As to what you might read on the DJI forum you need to exercise caution as to what extent you rely on it. I doubt it is a safety function. If the LiPO cells are going to cause a hazard following an impact or other failure being seperated from the drone is very unlikely to mitigate the danger or consequences.
Key words there are "I doubt". I would encourage you to investigate. The DJI moderators I referenced are from DJI'S own forums of which I'm a member of.

The DJI moderators I referenced are from DJI'S own forums of which I'm a member of.
On a similar note, I am a member there as well, however I have found this forum to be much more informative. The moderators on DJI's forums, from the posts I have viewed there are only that. Moderators. They know nothing basically about the aircraft and only reply with "scripted" version answers to any questions. They are relatively useless IMHO. You may feel differently, but this is from my experiences on that end.

Key words there are "I doubt". I would encourage you to investigate. The DJI moderators I referenced are from DJI'S own forums of which I'm a member of.
I’m not questioning whether you may have read something somewhere- I was interested in the credibility of the source. From my experience any discussion on the DJI forum that serves to evidence a flaw in the design or performance of the products is either met with a poor often nonsensical explanation or the post is deleted.

Yeah I wouldn't rely on DJI" moderators " on their forum because they do not know crap about their products and it seems like everything is scripted.... almost like bots so take the information you get with a grain of salt from the "dji" forum

Reactions: Robert Kelly
The DJI moderators I referenced are from DJI'S own forums of which I'm a member of.

When I got my first Phantom it took me about 2 minutes on the DJI forum to figure out there was very little, if any, credible information there to be had.

That's exactly why I camped out here on phantompilots daily for about the first two months, and still come here and read the New Posts every day.

After a short while, it's easy to tell who are the real experts here, several of them are in this thread already... and when they speak, I listen!

My P4A fell out of the sky the same way. I was getting intermittent 0% battery warnings just prior to crash. The battery never "dislodged". The battery connection melted down and was fused together upon recovery. My opinion is: This is the wrong type of connection for this application. The P3 2 terminal "Beaver Teeth" connection is the only way to go. They saved space in the P4 by combining the power supply bus with the battery connection. This multi-terminal connection won't tolerate any kind of vibration or motion, yet the battery bay still allows battery motion. I got a new bird through DJI Care Refresh and now I check the battery connection with an infrared thermometer after each flight. Temperatures have been 110-122 deg F. depending on ambient temperature. It is, however, the hottest part of the battery, which means heat is coming from the connection. Did you inspect your battery connection for heat damage?

Reactions: umanbean
The battery never "dislodged". The battery connection melted down and was fused together upon recovery.
Either way, it is the same result basically. But that is good information to know. Obviously from the data you could possibly tell the difference in that instance. Here is simply a complete shutdown with no intermittence of any in relation to battery power. The logs simply stopped without any indications of any power issues. So in this case I don't think that was the issue, or it would have been seen in the logs. As I said though, that is good info to know.

My P4A fell out of the sky the same way. I was getting intermittent 0% battery warnings just prior to crash. The battery never "dislodged". The battery connection melted down and was fused together upon recovery. My opinion is: This is the wrong type of connection for this application. The P3 2 terminal "Beaver Teeth" connection is the only way to go. They saved space in the P4 by combining the power supply bus with the battery connection. This multi-terminal connection won't tolerate any kind of vibration or motion, yet the battery bay still allows battery motion. I got a new bird through DJI Care Refresh and now I check the battery connection with an infrared thermometer after each flight. Temperatures have been 110-122 deg F. depending on ambient temperature. It is, however, the hottest part of the battery, which means heat is coming from the connection. Did you inspect your battery connection for heat damage?

NAILED it!

NAILED it!
I don't completely discount this theory, because you really can't. However, his incident was a bit different as I mentioned, the intermittent power would have shown in the logs if this were the case. This was not evident. It was an instantaneous disconnect and shut down. A slow meltdown, would have shown deviations in the battery. Below are the cell values for the entire flight. The deviations you see are normal. In the case of intermittency, these would show severe spikes. There were none.

Cell Values.png

I don't completely discount this theory, because you really can't.

I'm sorry, I strayed from the OP and was commenting on this part of this post:

My opinion is: This is the wrong type of connection for this application. The P3 2 terminal "Beaver Teeth" connection is the only way to go. They saved space in the P4 by combining the power supply bus with the battery connection. This multi-terminal connection won't tolerate any kind of vibration or motion, yet the battery bay still allows battery motion.

I have been doing this with white wire ties. It works great with no residual until I can figure something out better. I just cost you one wire ties per flight. It's cheap insurance though.I saw this from a previous post.

Attachments

• 20180708_193016.jpg
    20180708_193016.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 184
Just a new approach... Couldn't it be just a battery malfunction, suddenly not delivering power, but yet attached?
If i power on my p4p, and start the motors without props, if i start pulling off the battery it must go out 3-4 mm until it stops. Can hardly believe this can happen due to a hard maneouver.

Just a new approach... Couldn't it be just a battery malfunction, suddenly not delivering power, but yet attached?
If i power on my p4p, and start the motors without props, if i start pulling off the battery it must go out 3-4 mm until it stops. Can hardly believe this can happen due to a hard maneouver.

It does happen. Demonstrably, and repeatedly. Which is not to say that all cases of power failure are battery disconnects - there are also documented cases of other causes. None of those documented causes, however, are a result of a battery suddenly switching ceasing to supply power, and I don't think that there is even a switching mechanism in the battery to do that.

I have been doing this with white wire ties. It works great with no residual until I can figure something out better. I just cost you one wire ties per flight. It's cheap insurance though.I saw this from a previous post.

I like this picture as it shows even with the wire ties, you can still see the Gap in the upper right hand side which is apparent on all Phantom 4 series drones including the Newest one .
Although the Gap is smaller the Phantom Rain wet Suit ensures a perfect seal so you do not have to worry about the battery sliding out, or the rain, snow or moisture getting inside the battery.

Even a little bit of moisture in the sky will seep into the cracks of the battery.

Look at the difference between the Wire Ties and the Wet Suit as far as keeping the battery tight and sealed.

You can watch the full Storm Video on are site :
Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 4.22.46 PM.png

I just use some medical tape you can get at the drugstore. It is reusable, holds well to the plastic but doesn't leave a residue, and two small strips on the diagonal add a layer of protection. That, combined with avoiding abrupt maneuvers gives me a little peace of mind when flying.

I never read too good. lol!! Hey would you mind posting a picture of your med tape solution? Thanks!!

Well well well. Battery drop eh? Guys, I hate to say this. I just had TWO crashes in as many months. I too paid attention to make sure batts are always in. HOWEVER I am not perfect. First crash was my backup. A P4A. Litchi Mission last WP. Poof. Dropped 150 feet to her death on the street. Waiting to get my replacement from DJI Care Refresh. Second crash... Two days ago. Litchi WP Mission. No warning just dropped into the trees. Fatal. Took two days to find him in the deep weeds. Never found the battery on the second crash. On the first crash battery stayed with the ship all the way. SO I am new. However I have all my data stored on Airdata.com. The first crash will not be in my Ipad and I already shipped the P4A off. I do have the aircraft for this last crash. How do I get the data FROM the aircraft itself? Sure would like to know that it is not the LITCHI app and more than likely a battery issue so I can take steps as suggested above. Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic