P4 Stuck 100 Ft in Tree

I see almost every post about a P4 crash includes mention that the battery pops out.

It's a pirates life for me

I was going to say just that, same impression I have. Every video and post about P4 crashing (quite a few lately! LOL) show the battery popping off. Maybe that´s due to the higher speeds, maybe not. I can see that being a good thing in some specific situations, as the battery is th eheavier part of the Phantoms and carry a lot of inertia in case of a sudden stop. As in a crash.

Impressive rescue BTW, glad it ended in a good tone!

I see almost every post about a P4 crash includes mention that the battery pops out.

Might not be a bad thing. If the battery pops out on impact, that will be a whole lot less mass pushing on the camera/gimbal. Maybe it survives then.

That happen to someone else on this board with a p2. Reminds me of this video and we should use our old P2's to rescue other phantoms.

What a sucker I am! I didn't pay much attention to the video and kept clicking forward, I thought it was real cars in the ice!!! Then I saw the GIANT Mobius LMAO

Great ending, wondering if I would've had the sense to think about doing the same thing in a similar situation. Thanks to your post, I'll keep it in mind.

(Would Charlie Brown call it a drone-eating tree?)

Thought I would share my mistake for all to enjoy. On Sunday, I was trying to do a low fly by over the tree tops in sport mode. I caught the top branch of an enormous tree. The drone was perfectly hung up 100 FT HIGH, and snow was coming that night..

Had to get a bucket lift to come out on Sunday. He raised the bucket just over 70FT and used a 25 hook poll. It took about 10 minutes total. The only damage was to the props and battery that popped out. the body and gimbal did not even have a scuff. It didn't really crash as much as get hung up in the tree.

I have a P3P and p4 and have only crashed twice, when people are watching.. im a sucker for showing off how well I can crash. View attachment 48136 View attachment 48137 View attachment 48138 View attachment 48139

Good luck out there & stay out of the trees - for your wallet's sake.
Ha guys and girls I think your taking to many chances on the new avoidance system in the Phantom 4. Its nice to have a little bit more security when your flying but throwing caution to the wind and purposely taking the chance of flying to close to tree branches is a little to risky and expensive and damaging your equipment. I got my Phantom 4 yesterday and took my first flight today and am amazed at how responsive it is to my stick commands. I've been at this hobby a few yours now starting with the Phantom 2 vision + then to the Inspire 1 then the Phantom 3 Professional and now the Phantom 4, the latter three drones I still own and fly. I treat each of then with the same caution and go out my my way to avoid obstacles regardless of this new avoidance system. I have watched U-tube after U-tube and all want to challenge this new technology, some succeed and a lot don't. I don't think the DJI warrantee is going to cover the damage unless you purchase this new insurance plan.
Well anyway happy flying. I am very impressed with my new Phantom 4.

Ha guys and girls I think your taking to many chances on the new avoidance system in the Phantom 4. Its nice to have a little bit more security when your flying but throwing caution to the wind and purposely taking the chance of flying to close to tree branches is a little to risky and expensive and damaging your equipment. I got my Phantom 4 yesterday and took my first flight today and am amazed at how responsive it is to my stick commands. I've been at this hobby a few yours now starting with the Phantom 2 vision + then to the Inspire 1 then the Phantom 3 Professional and now the Phantom 4, the latter three drones I still own and fly. I treat each of then with the same caution and go out my my way to avoid obstacles regardless of this new avoidance system. I have watched U-tube after U-tube and all want to challenge this new technology, some succeed and a lot don't. I don't think the DJI warrantee is going to cover the damage unless you purchase this new insurance plan.
Well anyway happy flying. I am very impressed with my new Phantom 4.
Sport mode doesn't have avoidance features

Reactions: Myetkt
Does anyone have any experience of a P4 avoiding a tree like that when it is using optical avoidance.
Just wondering if it would see the limbs with out leaves on them in time to stop.
I would make my cat go up and get it.

Last edited:
Would $250 - $300 be a reasonable "estimate" if you called a tree service and paid full regular prices to have a drone rescued from a tree like that?
(Since most people aren't gonna have a GF who knows someone with a rig like that)
Anyone here have a tree service. Might be interesting to know.

Does anyone have any experience of a P4 avoiding a tree like that when it is using optical avoidance.
Just wondering if it would see the limbs with out leaves on them in time to stop.

I don't think even a cat would go THAT high. That's a tall tree. And you couldn't climb up there because the tree thins and branches out up there.
The age old "gravity" problem.

I'd think the battery popping out would be a good thing. No chance of the one of the props being stuck and the motor still trying to turn. I've had a P2V+ have a meltdown of the plastic that the motors attach to when it crashed and the motors continued to run.

Reactions: Richard in ky

Duct Tape...Shiny white duct tape.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik