P4 pro HDMI module

That's a good plan. I think when P4P+ buyers see the 7.9" Crystalsky display when released, they'll be sorry they bought that small 5.5"version. The P4P is what I plan to buy, potentially using the 7.9" if it's as bright and clear as implied. By that time we'll know if the Crystalsky will run Litchi also.

The 7.9" CrystalSky will be very nice and you can use it with future and past DJI drones. I fear though that the price will be scary.

That's a good plan. I think when P4P+ buyers see the 7.9" Crystalsky display when released, they'll be sorry they bought that small 5.5"version. The P4P is what I plan to buy, potentially using the 7.9" if it's as bright and clear as implied. By that time we'll know if the Crystalsky will run Litchi also.
The integrated 5.5" version effectively only costs $200, because the $100 HDMI module is included into the Plus transmitter. It's a great compromise until something better comes along, and until the price of the 7.9" Crystalsky is established. They are not mutually exclusive choices. From what we have been told, the built-in 5.5" "Crystalski-like" screen is bypassed by using the USB port on the remote to plug in any other screen, including the 7.9" Crystalsky, should it be affordable. In the interim, a built in integrated 5.5" screen, that is more than twice as bright as any existing tablet, will serve well! We have also been told that the Plus Android screen will allow Litchi to be installed, as soon as the SDK is released, and Litchi is updated to use it.

I want to see how this all works once the thing gets out in the hands of the consumer on a broad scale. I don't know how this monitor will perform, if the HDMI module will work as expected, if/when third-party apps (Litchi) will work on the thing, and how the new camera system will work. In other words, I'm going to let the early adopters shake this new drone out for me. It increasingly appears that some of them are having fits with the Mavic.

Additionally, I already have an iPad Mini 4 specifically for my Phantom 4. I don't see the utility of spending another $300 for another monitor if my iPad works as well (or better), and whether or not Crystal Sky would be a better choice.

Too many unknowns right now.

Last edited:
I want to see how this all works once the thing gets out in the hands of the consumer on a broad scale. I don't know how this monitor will perform, if the HDMI module will work as expected, if/when third-party apps (Litchi) will work on the thing, and how the new camera system will work. In other words, I'm going to let the early adopters shake this new drone out for me. It increasingly appears that some of them are having fits with the Mavic.

Additionally, I already have an iPad Mini 4 specifically for my Phantom 4. I don't see the utility of spending another $300 for another monitor if my iPad works as well (or better), and whether or not Crystal Sky would be a better choice.

Too many unknowns right now.
The P4P+ built-in screen is more than twice as bright as the iPad Mini 4. The larger Crystalski 7.9" screen is more than four times as bright as the iPad Mini 4. If the P4P+ delivers on even half of its promises, it will be a solid upgrade. Some of the promises, even if unfulfilled, will be able to be overcome with transmitter mods to increase the range, and battery mods to increase the flight time, just like with the P4. The camera is the real upgrade. It's like a full frame DSLR compared to a point and shoot!

The P4P+ built-in screen is more than twice as bright as the iPad Mini 4. The larger Crystalski 7.9" screen is more than four times as bright as the iPad Mini 4. I
Upgrade for you, maybe, but I don't have issues with glare or brightness for my needs that are worth spending $300 on given that I already have a suitable mobile device that has vastly more flexibility than either of the two monitors you mention, despite their blinding brightness, and both of which are vaporware ATM, more or less. Perhaps I'll change my mind if and when the user base of early adopters raises a great, unified voice of acclamation for these miracles of video display.

Otherwise, I agree with your post. The P4P certainly has the potential to be great photographic upgrade. Again, we'll see what the early adopters have to say for the final word. Definitely worth being excited about relative to potential, at the very least making one optimistic about a person's next logical upgrade...the Phantom 5.

Last edited:
If the P4P+ delivers on even half of its promises, it will be a solid upgrade. Some of the promises, even if unfulfilled, will be able to be overcome with transmitter mods to increase the range,
I had to grin reading your skepticism about DJI's spec of 4.3Mi range. I'm highly skeptical too after the disappointment in the P4 (GL300C's detuning) range versus P3P. I would be happy if the P4P would have the SAME range as my stock P3P (GL300A). Is that asking too much?

Upgrade for you, maybe, but I don't have issues with glare or brightness for my needs that are worth spending $300 on given that I already have a suitable mobile device that has vastly more flexibility than either of the two monitors you mention, despite their blinding brightness, and both of which are vaporware ATM, more or less. Perhaps I'll change my mind if and when the user base of early adopters raises a great, unified voice of acclamation for these miracles of video display.

Otherwise, I agree with your post. The P4P certainly has the potential to be great photographic upgrade. Again, we'll see what the early adopters have to say for the final word. Definitely worth being excited about relative to potential, at the very least making one optimistic about a person's next logical upgrade...the Phantom 5.
I currently use a 9.7" iPadPro with my P4, and use an Air2 with my P3P's, and have also used my iPad Mini 4 with the P4. While I rarely fly in direct sunlight (golden hour photography is my thing), whenever I have, none are adequately visible without a sun shade or a black cloth over the head and tablet. Both my iPadPro and Air2 are dedicated to flying. I use the Mini 4 for everything else. Big fan of the Mini 4 size for everyday use! An integrated dedicated Android screen that DJI has optimized for their DJI Go app has great appeal with GPS built in. No wires. One battery. Faster deployment. The brighter 5.5" screen may overcome the larger dimmer ones. Screen is only $200, if you factor in the $100 HDMI port, and only $100 more if you also factor in an external BT GPS for a wifi-only iPad. If you want a larger screen, use the HDMI port with goggles, in conjunction with the 5.5" screen. The Android app will be optimized to use this display going forward. If the external 5.5" Crystalski display turns out to be $500, the $200/$100 extra for an integrated version is a bargain. Rumor has it that the 7.9" Crystalski could be in the $800 range.

I had to grin reading your skepticism about DJI's spec of 4.3Mi range. I'm highly skeptical too after the disappointment in the P4 (GL300C's detuning) range versus P3P. I would be happy if the P4P would have the SAME range as my stock P3P (GL300A). Is that asking too much?
I'm skeptically optimistic, and ready to have both transmitter and battery mods installed with the P4P+, as needed, to maintain my modded P4 range and flight time. That P4P camera is the bomb! Using the stock P4P+ transmitter without also needing to strap on external batteries would be a real bonus! That was my unfulfilled hope for the P4. Alas! :rolleyes:

I currently use a 9.7" iPadPro with my P4, and use an Air2 with my P3P's, and have also used my iPad Mini 4 with the P4. While I rarely fly in direct sunlight (golden hour photography is my thing), whenever I have, none are adequately visible without a sun shade or a black cloth over the head and tablet. Both my iPadPro and Air2 are dedicated to flying. I use the Mini 4 for everything else. Big fan of the Mini 4 size for everyday use! An integrated dedicated Android screen that DJI has optimized for their DJI Go app has great appeal with GPS built in. No wires. One battery. Faster deployment. The brighter 5.5" screen may overcome the larger dimmer ones. Screen is only $200, if you factor in the $100 HDMI port, and only $100 more if you also factor in an external BT GPS for a wifi-only iPad. If you want a larger screen, use the HDMI port with goggles, in conjunction with the 5.5" screen. The Android app will be optimized to use this display going forward. If the external 5.5" Crystalski display turns out to be $500, the $200/$100 extra for an integrated version is a bargain. Rumor has it that the 7.9" Crystalski could be in the $800 range.
It's $300 if you already have an HDMI adapter, or if you don't need one. It would be an unnecessary expenditure if you don't find the brightness of an iPad to be a problem and don't want the spend the $300 for this undersized one-trick pony.

But, there's no point in arguing the point...we can wait for the reports of the early adopters, which will happen soon enough for me. I have no doubt that they will report back to us in detail and in volume after they have actually flown the new transmitter/iPhone-sized screen, and can report on its compatibility with third-party (non-DJI) flight controller apps.

It's $300 if you already have an HDMI adapter, or if you don't need one. It would be an unnecessary expenditure if you don't find the brightness of an iPad to be a problem and don't want the spend the $300 for this undersized one-trick pony.

But, there's no point in arguing the point...we can wait for the reports of the early adopters, which will happen soon enough for me. I have no doubt that they will report back to us in detail and in volume after they have actually flown the new transmitter/iPhone-sized screen, and can report on its compatibility with third-party (non-DJI) flight controller apps.
It's all relative. One of the main reasons I got the Air 2 was that it was the device DJI built the Inspire around, and continued to devote resources to keep the iOS version of their app at optimal efficiency during the P3P era. I sense a shifting to Android with their own device. DJI quads used to use GoPro cameras, too, until they built their own camera. They have knocked it out of the park now with the P4P camera. Now that they have their own dedicated tablet, I'm on board, too! No wires. One battery. No lag between controller and tablet. Twice as bright. What's not to like? I can still plug in any other tablet in back and that disables the built-in screen, and uses the external tablet, just like the P4P controller. The external tablet can then just be taped in place over the built-in screen, which should provide a great support base. It's the best of both. The alternative of later paying $600 to get the built-in screen integrated into a second controller seems too punitive to me.

No lag between controller and tablet. .

I thought the advertised latency with P4P+ was 180ms, wasn't it?

That's the best I get with my P3P using my iPad, so it's not dramatically better. I usually get around 200ms.

upload_2016-11-25_16-19-7.png

Spending the $300.
$200 of that is for the HDMI port ($100) and the built in GPS ($100 for a BT GPS for a Wifi-only iPad), so the screen itself is effectively only $100. So, the P4P with those features will be $1700, not $1500, and you still need a tablet.

I thought the advertised latency with P4P+ was 180ms, wasn't it?

That's the best I get with my P3P using my iPad, so it's not dramatically better. I usually get around 200ms.

View attachment 69375
Cool test! :cool: Even if the latency is the same, or 10% less, the hardwired connection is more reliable than a plug in connection. Over the last 18 months, the plug in connection has been a weak point. Every time the tablet needs charging the cable has to be unplugged and replugged, even on a dedicated tablet. Eventually, the connection loosens and becomes less reliable. Avoiding that is a big plus.

$200 of that is for the HDMI port ($100) and the built in GPS ($100 for a BT GPS for a Wifi-only iPad), so the screen itself is effectively only $100. So, the P4P with those features will be $1700, not $1500, and you still need a tablet.
So, I don't have to buy it with the HDMI module or the GPS? I can buy the P4P+ but leave the HDMI module and the BT/GPS component off?

Of course not.:rolleyes:

I already have an iPad Mini, and I already have an HDMI module. I don't want to have to spend $300 for a brighter screen, especially for a device that forces me to use an operating system that I'm not familiar with and don't particularly care for.

Last edited:
So, I don't have to buy it with the HDMI module or the GPS? I can buy the P4P+ but leave the HDMI module and the BT/GPS component off?

Of course not.:rolleyes:

I already have an iPad Mini, and I already have an HDMI module. I don't want to have to spend $300 for a brighter screen, especially for a device that forces me to use an operating system that I'm not familiar with and don't particularly care for.
The OS is transparent within the DJI Go app. It's designed as a dedicated screen. Clearly, you will be better served by the P4P. At least you think so. That's why DJI gave everyone a choice. :cool: If you later change your mind, it will cost you an additional $600. You can spend $300 more now, and keep your HDMI module on the controller you bought it for, and your Mini for your other aircraft, and still have HDMI out on both and GPS for resetting the Home Point to the controller. YMMV. I also have a Mini 4 and an HDMI port installed on another remote. I like to keep my systems sandboxed. You'll understand why later.

The OS is transparent within the DJI Go app. It's designed as a dedicated screen. Clearly, you will be better served by the P4P. At least you think so. That's why DJI gave everyone a choice. :cool: If you later change your mind, it will cost you an additional $600. You can spend $300 more now, and keep your HDMI module on the controller you bought it for, and your Mini for your other aircraft, and still have HDMI out on both and GPS for resetting the Home Point to the controller. YMMV. I also have a Mini 4 and an HDMI port installed on another remote. I like to keep my systems sandboxed. You'll understand why later.
I've already flown with a small screen (iPhone). I think spending $300 for something the same size, running Android, only brighter, doesn't work for me. YMMV.

P3P stock control doesn't come with the hdmi module. That module is $100 replacement for the stock module.
Which is why those complaining about the extra $300 are needing to either cannibalize or buy a $100 HDMI module to replace the one included for $300 more. Net cost: $200 more. Now add an external BT GPS for a Wifi only tablet for another $100 to have GPS, which is also already included in the P4P+, and the difference is only $100. Now ask yourself the value of a built in microSD card reader on the controller to play back and edit your 4K video directly on the P4P+ screen in the field, in sunlight, to see if you got what you wanted, before you leave. Worth $100 to me, if it works as advertised on the 4K video. Now, what is the cost of your other tablet? The P4P+ comes with a FREE tablet! :D QED.

Reactions: andart

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl