P4 first flight and got kicked out of a state park! Great!!!!!

Reaction score
Well guys the first flight didn't go bad at all other than a run in with the state park ranger. Check it out and subscribe if you like the videos

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks like you had great fun on your first time out!.
Just a few observations:
You were very brave to fly near those trees !, I personally would have picked a far bigger open space with plenty of grass, it would not have taken much to bury it in the top of those trees !.

Your camera horizon looks as if is not level to me (I was going by the view of the Lake level at 10.11), I always carry one of those little double spirit levels that you place on a surface (a record turntable one is ideal), which gives you a all round level. Then I would re-calibrate your IMU.

I would also slow down the speed your gimbal operates, it will make your videos look much smoother, again turn the gimbal knob slowly.
Also I would adjust your Yaw speed, that will also smooth out your right and left turns and make them less jerky.

Please don't think I am being critical !, these are mistakes I made before I realised that there were adjustments in the DJI Go App.
(You may find it useful to learn how to use the IOC (Intelligent Orientation Control) it is a useful part of the App. but again walk before you run!)

For a first timer you both done yourselves proud, but, I hate to say it but it looks like the wife has that gentle, feminine touch without a doubt !
It looks like flying a drone in the U.S.A. is becoming a right bummer, from the point of officials not knowing the Law in certain areas.
I am glad that we in the U.K. (as yet) are not subject to restrictions, only in certain areas.
Keep up the great "Diary of a Drone" (so to speak) it is always a great help to other people that are in the same situation as you were as complete novices.
You will look back in a few weeks time and realise that.
Great video editing to, by the way !!

Last edited:
Reactions: jeditim
Hello
animated-smileys-waving-015.gif

Welcome to the forum and the addiction er hobby :)

First off , if you are on PARK property they CAN restrict you from flying (aka launching/landing) legally. They can't say you can NOT fly over the area (for instance standing off the property) but if you are ON park property they can and will restrict that. Sometimes it's not worth the hassle. Also you can be cited for other infractions besides "Flying" if you do something they consider reckless/dangerous (flying over people etc). So be sure you know the local regulations as well as Federal regulations for each and every place you intend to fly.

Once you get some time on the sticks your flying will slow down and smooth out a lot. Trial and error will be your friend and you'll get a feel for it in time. Practice is your new best friend LOL.

I'd pull the volume DOWN on the music in the video a LOT. I had to turn it down here and then when there was talking etc it was way too low. You don't want the people watching your video to be fooling with the volume instead of watching your video.

For production clips you want to keep things short and sweet. Leave the viewer "wanting more".

Good luck and SAFE flights.

I've had good luck in seeking out the person in charge and asking permission before flying. Most recently in the Red Rock area of Sedona. Asked for permission and said it was no problem as long as I launched from the improved area and not the back country trails.

In one area where some people were kayaking I asked permission to film them and it because one of my highest viewed videos due to them sharing it.

Reactions: BigAl07
I've had good luck in seeking out the person in charge and asking permission before flying. Most recently in the Red Rock area of Sedona. Asked for permission and said it was no problem as long as I launched from the improved area and not the back country trails.

In one area where some people were kayaking I asked permission to film them and it because one of my highest viewed videos due to them sharing it.

Well said. I do the same thing. I've yet to be out right denied flight any time I've asked except for "hobby" flights on the Blue Ridge Parkway. They have an absolute refusal for hobby/recreational flights on any NPS land.

Just a few observations:
You were very brave to fly near those trees !, I personally would have picked a far bigger open space with plenty of grass, it would not have taken much to bury it in the top of those trees !.

Your camera horizon looks as if is not level to me (I was going by the view of the Lake level at 10.11), I always carry one of those little double spirit levels that you place on a surface (a record turntable one is ideal), which gives you a all round level. Then I would re-calibrate your IMU.

I would also slow down the speed your gimbal operates, it will make your videos look much smoother, again turn the gimbal knob slowly.
Also I would adjust your Yaw speed, that will also smooth out your right and left turns and make them less jerky.

Please don't think I am being critical !, these are mistakes I made before I realised that there were adjustments in the DJI Go App.
(You may find it useful to learn how to use the IOC (Intelligent Orientation Control) it is a useful part of the App. but again walk before you run!)

For a first timer you both done yourselves proud, but, I hate to say it but it looks like the wife has that gentle, feminine touch without a doubt !
It looks like flying a drone in the U.S.A. is becoming a right bummer, from the point of officials not knowing the Law in certain areas.
I am glad that we in the U.K. (as yet) are not subject to restrictions, only in certain areas.
Keep up the great "Diary of a Drone" (so to speak) it is always a great help to other people that are in the same situation as you were as complete novices.

You're not being critical at all! Those exact things you pointed out are the exact things I was frustrated with when reviewing the view. I seen extra settings in the DJI Go app and have zero clue what they meant. If I can slow down that gimble speed I'd be so happy. The controls were quite touchy. I'll have to dig into the program a bit more. IOC....well need to learn that too. I was more anxious to get out there and play with it a bit. As for the trees in the first part of the video, you can clearly see I was very hesitant to go over them. I was still in beginner mode at that point and it wouldn't allow it anyways to move any farther so good thing. Once I got to Lake George I was a bit more daring and actually lost signal. So when I was over the water and it turned around and came home....that wasn't me. That was the RTH button I was hitting in a frantic panic! I expected the range to be much farther as advertised. I was in a pretty clear area minus the few trees medium sides treees but still had a very clear line of sight. I'm really glad my wife did ok. Really wanted her to enjoy flying the drone. She loves it so I'm good! Thanks for the info! Oh...and I calibrated this thing on my unlevel couch HAHA. Talk about being a numb!!!

Hello
animated-smileys-waving-015.gif

Welcome to the forum and the addiction er hobby :)

First off , if you are on PARK property they CAN restrict you from flying (aka launching/landing) legally. They can't say you can NOT fly over the area (for instance standing off the property) but if you are ON park property they can and will restrict that. Sometimes it's not worth the hassle. Also you can be cited for other infractions besides "Flying" if you do something they consider reckless/dangerous (flying over people etc). So be sure you know the local regulations as well as Federal regulations for each and every place you intend to fly.

Once you get some time on the sticks your flying will slow down and smooth out a lot. Trial and error will be your friend and you'll get a feel for it in time. Practice is your new best friend LOL.

I'd pull the volume DOWN on the music in the video a LOT. I had to turn it down here and then when there was talking etc it was way too low. You don't want the people watching your video to be fooling with the volume instead of watching your video.

For production clips you want to keep things short and sweet. Leave the viewer "wanting more".

Good luck and SAFE flights.

Ah man I completely forgot to turn down the audio volume....sorry. Spaced out and was tired. Spent like 4 hours editing piecing that video together. I do usually drop the level down about 5dB. Yeah I'm noticing parks are going to be a pain. I did as much research as I could other than call, which my friend did after just to see what they say and the park ranger was even unsure himself so to cover his butt he just asked me to leave....in a very nice way. My buddy said he told him he even felt bad because he didn't know the policy himself. It all worked out. The solution....fly from outside the park like you said :) Once people figure out how to make money, like paid drone zones, there will be more areas to fly in sooner or later. But since people can't make money yet they restrict it. Will be shortening the clips later on. 15 minutes is a bit much but I want other newbies to see the process. Once I get up and going I'll be doing 5 minute clips of the area I'm filming. Thanks for watching!!!

I was just telling my wife flying in Sedona would be awesome! I used to like in AZ and loved going to Sedona! Can you post the link of the video? I'd love to check it out!

I've had good luck in seeking out the person in charge and asking permission before flying.
Some time I find it can be a tough call. next month I want to fly at/near Dead Horse Park in Utah. The state park allows drones Oct through something like Feb (as it's winter and almost no one is there). I obtained the authorization forms to ask permission to fly in Sept ($10 fee). Those forms are really oriented toward weddings and special events. I could send it in and see what they say but the park is very small and I could simply launch from the side of a nearby road (about 1/2 mile from the park) and fly right where I want. I think adding some park shots might make a better video though. My _slight_ dilemma is I think it's a little rude if I got turned down and then took off and flew nearby anyway. I do really try to be as polite as possible when I'm flying so I take these things to heart. So the choice is, don't ask and fly legally or ask with the possibility of being rejected and then flying nearby anyway. Many times I find myself in DoneNinja mode. That is where I get in, get the shots and get out before anyone knows I was there.

Flying a few years ago was _so_ much easier. :)

Reactions: jogforfitness
Some time I find it can be a tough call. next month I want to fly at/near Dead Horse Park in Utah. The state park allows drones Oct through something like Feb (as it's winter and almost no one is there). I obtained the authorization forms to ask permission to fly in Sept ($10 fee). Those forms are really oriented toward weddings and special events. I could send it in and see what they say but the park is very small and I could simply launch from the side of a nearby road (about 1/2 mile from the park) and fly right where I want. I think adding some park shots might make a better video though. My _slight_ dilemma is I think it's a little rude if I got turned down and then took off and flew nearby anyway. I do really try to be as polite as possible when I'm flying so I take these things to heart. So the choice is, don't ask and fly legally or ask with the possibility of being rejected and then flying nearby anyway. Many times I find myself in DoneNinja mode. That is where I get in, get the shots and get out before anyone knows I was there.

Flying a few years ago was _so_ much easier. :)

Ninja mode is something that shouldn't even be an issue. I understand about flying around airspace....but to fly around nature sites and capturing nature places like parks should be open to that. Yes flying low the P4 is pretty loud but once it's up in the air I think 99% of people won't even know it's there. I think I'm going to be finding myself doing the same...get in, get out, play stupid when I get caught. Sad to even have to go that route but I'm hoping to find enough drone spots where I don't need to do that.

Reactions: jogforfitness
Keep in mind, ALL New York state parks prohibit take offs & landings within the park boundaries.

Thanks for the heads up! More crazy NY restrictions. The longer I love here the more I hate it. Been here almost 4 years now and it's one thing after another of what I can't do.

Wow, you guys have that many restrictions out east? I guess Northern California has some advantages with all of our open area. I noticed that your wife was speaking a form of Russian ?¿? :) Were you making a bi-lingual video on purpose for her relatives over there, or was it instructional ?

Reactions: BigAl07

Really? I was way out on one of the trails last winter and flew with no problems. We had a couple people stop and talk with us through a couple of batteries because they had never seen one up close. One was ready to buy that day :)

I guess you guy's are a lot nicer then I am because I never even considered asking anyone, knowing in advance that I was going to be way out and far away from people or any danger. We got some great footage and had a great time. Sedona is a wonderful place. Having dealt with the Forest Service enough times, I know the laws and take copies of their rule book with me. When told by a Ranger that you can't fly, if it sounds questionable then you can ask him politely to show you the law in writing. The last few times, I've encountered Rangers, I ended up sitting down with, teaching and helping them learn their actual rules and I made some new friends because I was able to show them in their book where they were. You will find that many of them have been told wrong by their bosses and the miscommunication on UAV laws starts there. Once again, I never fly around crowds of people and I'm always in the deep woods. If I do see a casual hiker, I simply do not fly over or around him. I've never had a bad encounter with a Ranger after having helped to explain the surroundings and how the rules apply with him. A lot of the Rangers here are volunteers and simply go by what they have been told by the guys upstairs :)

Wow, you guys have that many restrictions out east? I guess Northern California has some advantages with all of our open area. I noticed that your wife was speaking a form of Russian ?¿? :) Were you making a bi-lingual video on purpose for her relatives over there, or was it instructional ?

That's NY for ya. Gonna head to the mountains in a little bit and fly there. Really nice nature scenery out here.

Reactions: Reed L
Really? I was way out on one of the trails last winter and flew with no problems. We had a couple people stop and talk with us through a couple of batteries because they had never seen one up close. One was ready to buy that day :)

I guess you guy's are a lot nicer then I am because I never even considered asking anyone, knowing in advance that I was going to be way out and far away from people or any danger. We got some great footage and had a great time. Sedona is a wonderful place. Having dealt with the Forest Service enough times, I know the laws and take copies of their rule book with me. When told by a Ranger that you can't fly, if it sounds questionable then you can ask him politely to show you the law in writing. The last few times, I've encountered Rangers, I ended up sitting down with, teaching and helping them learn their actual rules and I made some new friends because I was able to show them in their book where they were. You will find that many of them have been told wrong by their bosses and the miscommunication on UAV laws starts there. Once again, I never fly around crowds of people and I'm always in the deep woods. If I do see a casual hiker, I simply do not fly over or around him. I've never had a bad encounter with a Ranger after having helped to explain the surroundings and how the rules apply with him. A lot of the Rangers here are volunteers and simply go by what they have been told by the guys upstairs :)

Good to know. Thanks for the advice on the books!

Forgot to mention....my wife filmed an instructional video for her personal channel to her Ukrainian fans. Not too many drones over that way!

Just a few observations:

Just went through this morning and recalibrated and adjusted gimble speeds. Hoping to do another flight today

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.