P4 climbing beyond max and landing hard

Reaction score
I was flying my P4 along a river and climbing slowly, I then decided to climb a bit quicker to get a more expansive shot and heard the motors go to max. P4 was about 240 metres along the river at this time. I released all sticks and watched as the altitude kept rising rapidly. DJI Go app announced maximum altitude reached. The p4 continued to climb. I lost sight of it and watched altitude and distance measurements increasing. From memory it was about 260 metres high when I activated RTH and still distances continued to increase. Switched of RTH and manually tried to bring P4 home. It started to respond and once I got a visual on it I tried RTH again. It flew straight back over me and started descending. I noticed it was coming down way faster than I have ever seen my P2 descend. Fortunately I cancelled the auto land function in time and managed to just pull the P4 up before it would have slammed into the ground.

Any thoughts on what may have gone wrong?

I had noticed that when doing a low altitude auto land it landed a lot harder than my P2 ever has.

Can anyone explain what they think may cause this.?

I have stood straight under the P4 and lowered it to see if the sensors picked me up. They did not. It was within 2 feet of my head which I assume would indicate sensor calibration issues or faulty sensors. Any thoughts?

I don't know what happened, but it sounds like the same issue as this thread. Perhaps [B]@Vision[/B] has more information than was discussed in that thread.

The part 'coming down faster than usual' has been already discussed in several threads in this forum. Looks like you got a mix of different issues, some potentially related to altitude readings. You did it right by cancelling RTH on time, some didn't and crashed. Imagine what would have happen if your RC was not able to connect the craft at that time..

I bet you have last/current firmware version right?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was flying my P4 along a river and climbing slowly, I then decided to climb a bit quicker to get a more expansive shot and heard the motors go to max. P4 was about 240 metres along the river at this time. I released all sticks and watched as the altitude kept rising rapidly. DJI Go app announced maximum altitude reached. The p4 continued to climb. I lost sight of it and watched altitude and distance measurements increasing. From memory it was about 260 metres high when I activated RTH and still distances continued to increase. Switched of RTH and manually tried to bring P4 home. It started to respond and once I got a visual on it I tried RTH again. It flew straight back over me and started descending. I noticed it was coming down way faster than I have ever seen my P2 descend. Fortunately I cancelled the auto land function in time and managed to just pull the P4 up before it would have slammed into the ground.

Any thoughts on what may have gone wrong?

I had noticed that when doing a low altitude auto land it landed a lot harder than my P2 ever has.

Can anyone explain what they think may cause this.?

I have stood straight under the P4 and lowered it to see if the sensors picked me up. They did not. It was within 2 feet of my head which I assume would indicate sensor calibration issues or faulty sensors. Any thoughts?

...Above, could you please provide the DJIFlightRecord_*.txt Flight-Log File, you can post it here, or email it to the following
email address, thx...
vadata (at) YaHoo (dot) com
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

I re-read the owners manual today. You should give the RTH alerts section a read as it has multiple fail-safes built in that could influence the way your RTH works.

With smart technology comes fail safes that don't always account for reality. Sometimes, it's not a bug, but a feature. I've yet to understand fully the entire scope of fails safes built into the RTH.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Are you using a gimbal guard? I have had issues with rapid descents when I had one mounted. And that would not explain your P4's behavior prior to landing.
No I am not using a gimbal guard. Multiple flight modes have not been selected yet, Return Home 30m, Beginner Mode Off, Max Flight Altitiude set at 120m.

I re-read the owners manual today. You should give the RTH alerts section a read as it has multiple fail-safes built in that could influence the way your RTH works.

With smart technology comes fail safes that don't always account for reality. Sometimes, it's not a bug, but a feature. I've yet to understand fully the entire scope of fails safes built into the RTH.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
I was only 5 minutes into the flight battery 80% 267metres away at 110m in altitude when the craft began rising rapidly with no stick input. I had 15 satellites at this time. It climbed to 194metres before RTH was activated at 5.41 and P4 started very slow decent but did not head home. By 6.17 it reached 158m and worried more that it had not headed for home I cancelled RTH and began flying home and descending. At 8.51, 67m high and 135m away I could hear but no see the P4. I again selected RTH. It travelled home at 10m/s switched to Landing at 9.12 when directly overhead and descended at a crazy 3.5m/s. Just in time I cancelled RTH and manually applied full throttle to just stop the P4 before it would have slammed into the ground.

Any further thoughts from anyone?

Sorry it took so long to find and upload the txt file for the flight in question. The dat files were too large to be uploaded here. I joined up with healthy drones and had a bit of a look at the file but do not understand enough of the information here.

Any ideas about why my P4 climbed rapidly with no stick input or why when it was auto landing it came down that fast that it would have smashed to pieces if I had not cancelled the auto land. I do agree the P4 tends to land a little harder than ideal but I am not describing this type of event. The P4 would have self destructed on impact.

Unfortunately the sd card was full just prior to the end of this flight. Any idea's??

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2016-08-16_[14-02-46].txt
    1.2 MB · Views: 262

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31