P4 Advanced Crashed and Lost! Is it Traceable?

• Thread starter Deleted member 99081
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 99081

I was flying my 6 week old Phantom 4 Advanced off cliffs in County Kerry Ireland, near my home, on Sunday when it seems to have hit the top of adjacent cliffs, and lost contact with the controller.

I couldn't see it and assumed it had fallen to the bottom of the cliff, which is not accessible, other than possibly by boat. However, after contacting DJI, I became aware of the flight data, which seemed to show that it was on the top of the cliff.

I followed the coordinates, the next day, to the exact spot but I couldn't see it, even after a long search in tall grass. But, it did look as if there was other footfall in the long grass (but I can't be sure). I contacted the local police to ask if it was found (it hasn't been so far) and I have filed a crash report with DJI.

My question is (as a drone tech newbie): If it was found, can it be traced via the GPS (assuming it was turned on). If so, how would I do that, and is there any point?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rick_x
If it was found, can it be traced via the GPS (assuming it was turned on). If so, how would I do that, and is there any point?
It will only report its GPS coordinates if it's powered on, your remote controller is powered on, and it's connected to DJI GO on your mobile device (meaning the downlink is connected). That's a very unlikely scenario.

If you upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here, I'll take a look at it and help you track down the spot where it most likely crashed/landed. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

It will only report its GPS coordinates if it's powered on, your remote controller is powered on, and it's connected to DJI GO on your mobile device (meaning the downlink is connected). That's a very unlikely scenario.

If you upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here, I'll take a look at it and help you track down the spot where it most likely crashed/landed. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Thank you, I'll do that ASAP. As mentioned, the last flight log seems to show the drone at the top of a cliff at a height of 3ft 6inches. I followed to GPS coordinates to that spot (a hillock on the cliff), and looked around a radius of 50ft or so, with no luck. The spot is very close to the edge of the cliff, though, about 5ft away. I'm assuming it's at the bottom of it, or that it was found before I got there.

Stephen

Reactions: b17raymo
I have uploaded the flight record from the day the drone crashed (17th September) AT THIS LINK

Thank you in advance(d) (pun intended - if I don't laugh, I'll cry) for any help you can offer.

Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:
How about getting a cheap drone for about £30 in Argos and use that to search. Then when you find it and know where it is, take the drone back and get a refund. Sneaky... I know... But I dont want you putting yourself at risk near the cliff edge mate

Your flight log shows it last reported its location at 51.89241804, -10.39216047 -- which appears to be in the grassy area right above the cliff (see the image below). I suppose someone else could have found it or it could have rolled down the side of the cliff if it was close to the edge (it's hard to tell since Google doesn't have good satellite maps in that location). If you've already looked at that exact location and it's not close to the cliff's edge, it's probably either still there hiding in the grass or someone might have found it.

Location.jpg

How about getting a cheap drone for about £30 in Argos and use that to search. Then when you find it and know where it is, take the drone back and get a refund. Sneaky... I know... But I dont want you putting yourself at risk near the cliff edge mate

Great idea, thank you. I'd be interested to know where it is, although I'm not sure who would want to give me a refund. :) Also, knowing those cliffs, if it's at the bottom, I'll not get there without a boat and a wet suit! :)

Reactions: Neon Euc
Your flight log shows it last reported its location at 51.89241804, -10.39216047 -- which appears to be in the grassy area right above the cliff (see the image below). I suppose someone else could have found it or it could have rolled down the side of the cliff if it was close to the edge (it's hard to tell since Google doesn't have good satellite maps in that location). If you've already looked at that exact location and it's not close to the cliff's edge, it's probably either still there hiding in the grass or someone might have found it.

View attachment 88454

Thanks again. As mentioned, I went there yesterday, and couldn't see it anywhere. It may be worth another look though.

Six weeks old? How sickening. I feel your anguish.
By the look of it, even if it is at the bottom of that cliff it will be a total loss. What are the tides like there?

Looking at the terrain around that cliff, which is not quite vertical, it could be hung up in all kinds of places. If you can use another drone to check the cliff face you might locate it, but unless you are willing to go rappeling it may be hard to retrieve if it is there.

screenshot28.png

Great idea, thank you. I'd be interested to know where it is, although I'm not sure who would want to give me a refund. :) Also, knowing those cliffs, if it's at the bottom, I'll not get there without a boat and a wet suit! :)
Argos has a 30 day money back guarantee.... Just tell them your drone cuts out mid flight... No questions asked [emoji6]

Actually is there a canoe you can hire out nearby? Might be worth a shot. Can always fake your own death and buy another one when the insurance pays out [emoji16]

Just kidding dude but I been there... Lost a drone twice... Always found it tho the next day. Dont give up mate.

Six weeks old? How sickening. I feel your anguish.
By the look of it, even if it is at the bottom of that cliff it will be a total loss. What are the tides like there?

Thanks Paul. I'm not the right person to answer that question; when I was growing up "Tide" was a washing powder. I've never seen a boat in there though, they usually stay well beyond the furthest end of the cliffs.

Looking at the terrain around that cliff, which is not quite vertical, it could be hung up in all kinds of places. If you can use another drone to check the cliff face you might locate it, but unless you are willing to go rappeling it may be hard to retrieve if it is there.

View attachment 88458

I was there again just now, (roughly along the edge with the light grey stone) and ventured a look over the edge but, as you say, there are lots of nooks and crannies and even if it is there, it would be impossible to get at it.

It is a shame there isn't someone near by with a drone to fly over the area for you.

A fellow author and Phantom flyer (4 Pro) offered to come from West Cork, about 2 1/2 hours drive. He then said "if it's damp or wet, I won't fly the drone at all". Where I live it's always raining, or about to rain, so he was easily put off.

Argos has a 30 day money back guarantee.... Just tell them your drone cuts out mid flight... No questions asked [emoji6]

Actually is there a canoe you can hire out nearby? Might be worth a shot. Can always fake your own death and buy another one when the insurance pays out [emoji16]

Just kidding dude but I been there... Lost a drone twice... Always found it tho the next day. Dont give up mate.
I know a guy in London that likes to fly in the rain. Lol
I’m just making sport of Neon Euc. He gets into trouble flying in the rain. It might cost a plane ticket and a few pints

Last edited:
Many times people are willing to help if they know there is a need. I really feel for you and wish I could do something. Maybe if you put up posters at Skellig around the boats. Someone in the area would take a look.

Thanks Paul. I'm not the right person to answer that question; when I was growing up "Tide" was a washing powder. I've never seen a boat in there though, they usually stay well beyond the furthest end of the cliffs.

IF you could locate it on the cliff face somewhere, using another quadcopter, it has occurred to me that you may not have to go 'rappeling'.
I have seen on the net a self closing grappling claw designed for retrieving objects using a quad. There are two sizes of claw.
Food for thought?
Ha ha, Tide? Yes, it sure was a washing powder.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl