P4 acted weird today

Reaction score
Took off from an open space parking lot today as I always do since the building I work on is next to my apartment. A nice sunny day and the flight was smooth with altitude of 175 feet. Turn the drone to different direction and suddenly noticed a shaky camera. And weak transmission appeared and before you know it, loss connection. Hit Rth but no response. And all of a sudden, the drone went up to maximum altitude 394 feet and just hovers. Good thing it’s in line of sight. Hit the Rth again and still a fail. GPS came back, cancelled rth and gained control. And brought her back down safely. Made me worried momentarily. Could have been strong magnetic interference? Imu calibrated and firmware up to date.

Took off from an open space parking lot today as I always do since the building I work on is next to my apartment. A nice sunny day and the flight was smooth with altitude of 175 feet. Turn the drone to different direction and suddenly noticed a shaky camera. And weak transmission appeared and before you know it, loss connection. Hit Rth but no response. And all of a sudden, the drone went up to maximum altitude 394 feet and just hovers. Good thing it’s in line of sight. Hit the Rth again and still a fail. GPS came back, cancelled rth and gained control. And brought her back down safely. Made me worried momentarily. Could have been strong magnetic interference? Imu calibrated and firmware up to date.
No magnetic interference wont do that and you will get onscreen prompt about it ,,things like this you will really have to upload your flight so some clever ones who have software can see what happen.yes I say that be a scary moment

Hit Rth but no response. And all of a sudden, the drone went up to maximum altitude 394 feet and just hovers.
Without seeing the data, it is just a guess. Judging only from your description of the event, there are a couple of possibilities. First, it sounds like you only lost downlink from the aircraft and you still had control. When you hit RTH, the aircraft responded by climbing to the RTH altitude. However, that said, IF the VPS was reporting incorrectly ( Which has been seen several times before ) the aircraft will continue to climb to max altitude. This also may depend on your distance from the home point. Normally if the aircraft is too close in distance it will land where it is when RTH is executed. In this instance it appears to be the former. Again, without seeing the data to verify guesses can easily be wrong. Unfortunately, loss of downlink also results in loss of data. There may not be enough in the device log to determine and it may require the aircraft .dat to verify. If you wish to investigate further we can assist you with that, but we will need the data to do so. Additionally, GPS rarely drops out, unless there is something blocking the signal or an auto switch due to a compass issue.

Do you have the option in the app to specify what happens in the event of a lost connection?
as far as my knowledge goes, if you have a lose connection, the drone will automatically activate rth. But in this case, it's a sudden failure and if I can remember, I can still see what was happening up there but the controller is kaput and the drone is not responding to any command. I may be wrong because I was about to panic though. Until I got control back when gps finally returned.

Without seeing the data, it is just a guess. Judging only from your description of the event, there are a couple of possibilities. First, it sounds like you only lost downlink from the aircraft and you still had control. When you hit RTH, the aircraft responded by climbing to the RTH altitude. However, that said, IF the VPS was reporting incorrectly ( Which has been seen several times before ) the aircraft will continue to climb to max altitude. This also may depend on your distance from the home point. Normally if the aircraft is too close in distance it will land where it is when RTH is executed. In this instance it appears to be the former. Again, without seeing the data to verify guesses can easily be wrong. Unfortunately, loss of downlink also results in loss of data. There may not be enough in the device log to determine and it may require the aircraft .dat to verify. If you wish to investigate further we can assist you with that, but we will need the data to do so. Additionally, GPS rarely drops out, unless there is something blocking the signal or an auto switch due to a compass issue.
I will try my best to retrieve the data log from dji go 4 app and will download. Thanks.

I can still see what was happening up there but the controller is kaput and the drone is not responding to any command. I may be wrong because I was about to panic though. Until I got control back when gps finally returned.
The logs will verify your memory correct or otherwise. Trust me....been through this too many times.....;)

The logs will verify your memory correct or otherwise. Trust me....been through this too many times.....;)
The description of the incident is quite confusing so data would be useful.
But the recorded flight data can only help if there was a connection.
Without connection, there's no data to check.

Reactions: BudWalker
May I be redirected to someone who can guide me on how to upload a data? I have never done it before and a total novice in that feature. I, myself would like to learn from my errors to better myself with this fun hobby. All I can retrieve are flight records and such on DJI go 4 app and it just shows how I flew on a particular day.
Thanks in advance.

All I can retrieve are flight records and such on DJI go 4 app and it just shows how I flew on a particular day.
For the .txt device log see the link below. Instructions are on the link. As noted, due to downlink loss, there may or may not be enough data to fully review the incident in question. There are additional data files, but this is the easiest to retrieve. Upload to this site and place a link back here to the upload if you need assistance with review.

Log Viewer

May I be redirected to someone who can guide me on how to upload a data? I have never done it before and a total novice in that feature. I, myself would like to learn from my errors to better myself with this fun hobby. All I can retrieve are flight records and such on DJI go 4 app and it just shows how I flew on a particular day.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it shows you.

Reactions: Izzy1970
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Can I as ask you a question, in all honesty? Do you actually read the previous post in the threads? I don't mean this in a negative way at all. Just asking the question because If you read Post#11, the link is already there. Is there something I am missing here?

Can I as ask you a question, in all honesty? Do you actually read the previous post in the threads? I don't mean this in a negative way at all. Just asking the question because If you read Post#11, the link is already there. Is there something I am missing here?
I read most posts before replying.
In this case I saw yours and also noted that nearly 12 hours later, the OP hadn't come back with any flight data so I offered more detailed info.

I read most posts before replying.
In this case I saw yours and also noted that nearly 12 hours later, the OP hadn't come back with any flight data so I offered more detailed info.
I am sincerely appreciative with the help! I’m still trying to download the itunes on my mac which is super slow. Then syncing the ipad to gather the data(s) requested. Pardon my ignorance. But as you can see, I’m mostly active in the forum browsing and reading to gain more knowledge. Although not much of a commenter.

IMG_1571110127.968100.jpg

No matter what I do, the text won’t open. Ah well, maybe I need a better Mac.

I was actually able to open it but it’s encrypted/
You don't have to open the .txt file.
Go to the link shown in post #12 and follow the instructions there to upload your .txt file to that site.
It will deal with the encryption and show you a report of the flight data.
Then come pack here and post a link to the report it gives you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31