Flying over trees

Reaction score
Website
www.totalexpophoto.com
So, here's a good one for you experienced pilots with DJI Phantom 3s. I flew my first Litchi Waypoint Mission today with my P3-Adv. I was in an open field (park) and basically I flew around the entire park where I had set about 8 waypoints and a considerable amount of POIs. It was a lot of fun and there were no mishaps, thank God. OK, so then I came back home and created a new mission to fly around my block where I live setting POIs above certain homes, etc. with actions like hanging around for 10 seconds, going on to the next waypoint until complete and then the settings I set were for the P3 to RTH once the mission was completed. Here's the big question: lol... I have lots of trees around my home. I am not worried about altitude because I set it pretty high, like 250 feet while hovering around these areas. But, is the signal from the DJI RC strong enough to keep in contact with the P3 and if signal gets lost suddenly, what happens? Does the P3 fly the mission in reverse to come home or does it take a direct path back to Home using the altitude that was set in the mission? I am concerned that if I lose signal, I lose the drone cause it will come down and hit the trees in the surrounding area and I will either never find it again or it will break. Thanks in advance for your responses and guidance.

Best,
Vinny

Reactions: brigerdrones
Um if using litchi if signal lost it will still complete its rounds as planned
Screenshot_20200110-102415_Chrome.jpg

Litchi will complete its mission, but what it does to complete its mission depends on what you program in to it, whether it is RTH, hover, return to first waypoint, reverse mission or none. Make sure if you use RTH or return to first waypoint your altitude is set high enough to clear trees, houses or any other obstacles that may be in your way. If you are flying low, make sure the RTH altitude doesn't cause the craft to fly into low hanging branches or other obstacles before reaching the RTH altitude you've set.

Loss of signal may be caused by distance from the controller, interference due to trees, buildings or obstacles, terrain, loss of gps signal, magnetic interference even extreme solar activity.

If you are flying Litchi relative to ground remember that the Google elevations which are used in the mission hub may not be accurate.

Plan your missions carefully and good luck.

@Vioia61855,

Here are some basic tips.
Yes the mission will continue with out remote control signal. I make mine come all the way back. (I actually set it take off and land)

In Addition to what has been posted...

Smart RTH, if it thinks it doesn't have enough battery power it will cancel the mission and RTH, if its above your RTH setting it will stay at the height until it is over the home point, then land.

Take a look at this thread, I share a Mission.
Fine tuning a waypoint mission

Take a look at VLM for more complex missions.
Virtual Litchi Mission

Take a look at this thread, I share a Mission.
How an old man got litchi...

Another shared Mission
Mission Hub - Litchi

"I set it pretty high, like 250 feet while hovering around these areas." :rolleyes:;)
None of the trees close to my house are over 150'.
Found this tree 2 mins into a mission from my house at 200' AGL.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Stay away from Phantom Magnets.....

Better area to post about Litchi...
Control (Go, Litchi, etc..)

Rod

Last edited:
The chrome browser has a VLM plugin. You can "export" as VLM and it automatically loads in Google Earth (must be installed first). Then you can virtually fly the mission.

And yes, your P3 standard can lose signal with obstacles. That's why (in addition to knowing now that LITCHI missions keep going) it's important to have your RTH set correctly, and checked for every flight. You mentioned that it was high enough for your home area -- I'm just mentioning this so you know to add it to your pre-flight check-list for other location flying.

Chris

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31