P3S - how flash gimbal circuit board?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a second hand P3S and have the following issues:
- firmware update required cannot be performed as says no SD found
- camera controls in the app (DJI go) are grayed.
- the app does not show any video feed.

Note
- the drone can fly fine.
- no issues with connecting remote or wifi
- SD SanDisk extreme 32GB properly formatted FAT32
- the gimbal seems fine, does the dance at startup and goes up and down with the remote scroll

I understand it could be a nand memory that may need to be reflashed. There is a tutorial in the web however is for the Pro version.

Anybody knows how to do it for the standard and if this is what has to do to fix the issues I have?

Thanks!

If the drone flies fine.....DO NOT update the firmware. My Standards fly fine with very old firmware, with none of that later 'geofencing' garbage that DJI came out with on later updates.

Video feed issue may only be a GoApp and Firmware mismatch, or camera settings issue.

Let us know what the current firmware and GoApp versions you are running. The more info we have will help us determine the correct solution.

***If you haven't already, check out msingers' site 'Phantomhelp.com' for more information. Just be sure to select the correct drone version (P3S) and go from there. If you can't find the answers to your questions by searching, just ask away here on the Forum.

And.....Welcome to the Forum...!

Reactions: Jeko0111 and RodPad
Welcome to the forum!

#1 Don't do ANYTHING with the firmware!

Its not going to be the fix.

Rod ..

Reactions: captainmilehigh
@captainmilehigh
I'm hitting the post button and yeah, something has been added. :rolleyes:

@Cuboide
Keep the thread going, I think there 6 members that know a lot about the P3S.

Rod ..

Hi all,

I just bought a second hand P3S and have the following issues:
- firmware update required cannot be performed as says no SD found
- camera controls in the app (DJI go) are grayed.
- the app does not show any video feed.

Note
- the drone can fly fine.
- no issues with connecting remote or wifi
- SD SanDisk extreme 32GB properly formatted FAT32
- the gimbal seems fine, does the dance at startup and goes up and down with the remote scroll

I understand it could be a nand memory that may need to be reflashed. There is a tutorial in the web however is for the Pro version.

Anybody knows how to do it for the standard and if this is what has to do to fix the issues I have?

Thanks!
Noted on updating, thanks

Regarding flying to be honest I have not fully tested. I just did the auto take off and landing with the app, so rising just 1 metre or so and landing on the same spot.
The DJI Go version is 3.1.80 (on android 13).
Tha firmware version 1.7.90+
The system pop up a message to update to 1.9.20

Reactions: RodPad
The firmware (1.7.90) and the GoApp version (3.1.80) are mismatched. Preferred match is listed: The GoApp version is the newest (04/21/24) and the firmware was released 11/09/2016. As mentioned, a firmware update doesn't always work......and since DJI no longer supports the P3S Standard, it is a risk updating when it can cause issues. The GoApp versions can be downgraded however.
IMG_5782.png

• Love
Reactions: RodPad and LOVE NZ
ok. I guess we need a bit more history. When you purchased this used drone, was there a test flight or a demo flight to show you that all systems worked as designed? Like video feed? Was there any damage history with this drone, like a hard crash?

There is a very small LED light on the camera. When the aircraft is powered on it should be red or green. What color is indicated, and are there any blinks.

GoApp. When you enter camera view, what is displayed? Even with a blank screen, you should see icons and buttons around the perimeter of the screen.

On these drones, there is a very, very fragile ribbon cable on the gimbal/camera, that is very notorious for breaking or being damaged easily. Does the camera do its automatic 'camera dance' (up,down,left,right) when powered up?

• Love
I do not have any video before buying. The seller bought second hand as well (2 yrs ago) it seems the drone was working fine with him and reported he had no crashes. He put the drone in a box for a while (not sure for how long) and when he tried to run it he had the issues I have.
The ribbon should be fine as the gimbal does the full dance.
There is a green light pulsing slowly in the front of the gimbal inside.
On the app I believe I see everything (satellites, battery, etc). the only thing that cannot be accessed are che camera menu/icons and settings on the right side of the screen as all is greyed therefore no touch responsive.

Last edited:
ok, thanks for the update. That ribbon cable that was mentioned controls all functions between the gimbal, gimbal arms (pivots) and the camera functions. Since there is no camera feed, I'd lean toward a loose connection, or a bad ribbon cable. Does the gimbal dial (top/left) on the remote control work (camera pointing up/down, etc)? The blinking green LED on the camera indicates that the system is still warming up, but if the ribbon cable is damaged or loose, it may never complete this cycle, The grayed out camera menu on the app may reflect this.

You may want to contact @Droneted (DM) and get with him on your issues. He is the Gimbal/Camera expert here on the Forum, and does repairs also. He may have other solutions or test procedures in mind to correct your camera issues.

Captain, thanks for your support so far hopefully Droneted can support further

@Droneted hope you can help, please let me know if I can try anything else.
Yes sir. We are not giving up yet. But 'ol @Droneted knows a BUNCH MORE about these issues than I do. I've replaced a few gimbal parts, cameras and the darn ribbon cables, but some issues are best left to the experts. If he doesn't respond right away hang in there. Check in from time to time and let us know how it's going...........

(Just click on his name above to bring up his profile, then select "Start Conversation" to send him a direct message....)

Ok. I’m here and racking my little pea brain. I just recently started working on p3’s. The Standard has always been the hardest. The is no re flag for that one as far as I know. It could very well be the ribbon cable but it could also be the top board. I got your message and I will be trying to come up with something.

Ok. I’m here and racking my little pea brain. I just recently started working on p3’s. The Standard has always been the hardest. The is no re flag for that one as far as I know. It could very well be the ribbon cable but it could also be the top board. I got your message and I will be trying to come up with something.
I ran out of ideas for this member. Since he bought a
used bird, there's no telling the abuse it may have taken during that time. I'm still leaning toward that pesky ribbon cable, especially if it was ever replaced with a non-DJI OEM part. I learned the hard way on that one. Once is all it took. Now genuine DJI OEM parts only.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad and Cuboide
I'm still watching!

This one is pretty cool!

@msinger help hasn't been in this thread yet.

Rod ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thepacemakers