P3S Crash - Details Below

Reaction score
I have a P3S that I've been using for insurance/real estate work around the area. Last week, I clipped a branch and it fell about 20 feet, hitting on the skids and popping off the camera. I know the ribbon cable is torn and I need to replace that but I'm trying to figure out if anything else is broken or missing. The camera module will fit back into the gimbal motor part and will be held on firmly with the magnets, but I'm not sure if something else is missing in that area. I can pop it back off again with some force to overcome the magnets.
Can anyone help with this?
I can also supply a picture if needed.

Thanks,
Mel

A set screw holds on the camera to the shaft of the pitch motor. It is usually hidden under the ribbon cable. Check to see if the stop is still there. It sometimes breaks off in a crash. It keeps the camera from pitching too far.

Here's a photo, not a great one but I hope it helps. This is the place where the camera popped off. Now, it seems, I can't pull the camera away so maybe I just needed to get it on firmly?
I definitely need to replace the ribbon cable. It's hard to find one in stock anywhere, does anybody have a good place to buy one?

Thanks,
Mel

I read a lot of things and I forget a lot of things. I have read, that there is a way you can put the motor back together and everything is fine. The motor itself cost around $35 US. from what I read a while back.

Reactions: Joker2415
Will it still work or do I need to buy a whole new assembly?

Thanks

If the magnet isn't cracked or chipped, and if the shaft still presses in the hole with some force it will probably be ok. The shaft just presses in the hole, if the hole is too loose it will fall out and you could loose the camera part. And mentioned in the post above, you can buy just that motor and not have to buy a whole gimbal. The only way to find out for sure is to put a new ribbon cable in it and try it out. I think the flat part of the motor shaft (under the cover on the sensor(?) side.) should be facing up and level. I haven't rebuilt a Standard gimbal but imagine it's the same Idea as the rest of them. I'm sure there is a youtube video explaining how to adjust everything.

I've also just learned the lesson of cheap gimbal cables. Pay the extra and buy the right one then you know it's going to work.The cheap one isn't worth the hassle.. haha

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31