P3Adv blown away .. due to pilot fault

Reaction score
So i have a P3A that gave me the scare of my life just a couple of weeks ago. I did my regular calibration and took of to film a subject. Now for some strange reason, i noticed the aircraft kept drifting away from me, both in altitude and distance away from me. So i attempted to initiate the RTH but i noticed that the return flight was extremely slow. In a bid to help it come home, i cancelled the RTH and took control using the joysticks. however, i realized that the aircraft will respond only s l o w l y the heading towards me but extremely fast and away from me when i left the controls. Eventually i lost complete control, aircraft flew away and after a long drive i managed to locate it. I'm just wondering what could have gone wrong. I have uploaded the flight records on health drones and shared a link to the info in hopes that someone can help m spin point where i went wrong or what the issue was. Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

It sounds like it was pretty windy.

That would explain it then. Your Phantom was fighting the wind on its journey home.

That would explain it then. Your Phantom was fighting the wind on its journey home.
Ok then.. i guess that would explain why it seemed to be eager to get away from me (and from the beach). Did you see anything irregular with the sensors or compass??

Last edited:
Why didn't OP give the full details of the run away. It seems he knew the cause. Correct?

No. You'll be able to see more details if you upload your flight log here.

Reactions: Squirrel!
So i have a P3A that gave me the scare of my life just a couple of weeks ago. I did my regular calibration and took of to film a subject. Now for some strange reason, i noticed the aircraft kept drifting away from me, both in altitude and distance away from me. So i attempted to initiate the RTH but i noticed that the return flight was extremely slow. In a bid to help it come home, i cancelled the RTH and took control using the joysticks. however, i realized that the aircraft will respond only s l o w l y the heading towards me but extremely fast and away from me when i left the controls. Eventually i lost complete control, aircraft flew away and after a long drive i managed to locate it. I'm just wondering what could have gone wrong. I have uploaded the flight records on health drones and shared a link to the info in hopes that someone can help m spin point where i went wrong or what the issue was. Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
It wasn't that windy on the ground so i didn't think think it would be too windy at a higher altitude.
100% pilot error - you sent your Phantom out on a one-way mission.
The data clearly shows that it was quite windy up at nearly 500 feet and even lower altitudes later in the flight.
If you couldn't tell that you shouldn't be flying.
The Phantom 3 can do about 35 mph in still air and if you let RTH do the driving it will cruise at 20 mph.
Your Phantom was trying to RTH for much of the flight and going backwards at up to 10 mph.
You sent it downwind in a wind it would have trouble flying against on the home flight.
Up until the battery was down to 23% it was still going backwards fighting the headwind.
The battle was lost long before then.

Your Phantom didn't fly away - you did.
The Phantom was trying to come home but had no chance in those conditions and the way you piloted it.

If you want to find the Phantom, get a GPS and go looking close to 5.56891E 0.13546S
**edit** as the incident was a couple of weeks ago, it's probably too late now.

100% pilot error - you sent your Phantom out on a one-way mission.
The data clearly shows that it was quite windy up at nearly 500 feet and even lower altitudes later in the flight.
If you couldn't tell that you shouldn't be flying.
The Phantom 3 can do about 35 mph in still air and if you let RTH do the driving it will cruise at 20 mph.
Your Phantom was trying to RTH for much of the flight and going backwards at up to 10 mph.
You sent it downwind in a wind it would have trouble flying against on the home flight.
Up until the battery was down to 23% it was still going backwards fighting the headwind.
The battle was lost long before then.

Your Phantom didn't fly away - you did.
The Phantom was trying to come home but had no chance in those conditions and the way you piloted it.

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that the aircraft itself isn't faulty. I guess i'll have a checklist ready for subsequent flights (and this would include figuring out how windy it is)... I overestimated the the strength and performance of the phantom in a windy environment and almost paid the price for it. The experience has made me better.

Thanks again

If you want to find the Phantom, get a GPS and go looking close to 5.56891E 0.13546S
I located it on the same day after a bit of a hustle [emoji4]. Thanks tho.

When I fly I take off in GPS mode, then shift to attitude for the accent. If there is wind at altitude (and there usually is) the phantom will drift. Watching the telemetry I can see its speed, knowing I am just going straight up - the speed is wind speed. If it is more then ~25 I abort and land. FYI it flys faster is atti mode then gps.

Meta4, may I ask you where you came up with those GPS coordinates from the log? Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl