p3A take off flew itself and crashed

Hi there. I have another issue to highlight. Maybe this related to the 1st issue. Last nite i decided to discharge. Since the stock battery i suspect problem i hover as close as i can so that anything happened it will crash softly.reach to 30% level low warning so it prompt me to return home. So i cancel it.but it insists to land on its own....so i hover again and as the battery reach to 12% i land the craft and let the motors running at 10%.i was waiting to reach 8% to turn off the craft. But as it reach 10% and the alarm is on suddenly with no input on controller...the craft take off like 0.2m and fly itself and crashed!!!!luckily it crash on grass not on road...
Whats happened??????this is so dangerous...if my kid around there for sure the craft will hit him....
Dji please resolve this problem....i think it got to do with the battery i guess.with only 17 times of charge the battery life already reduce to 98%.
For the 1st issue like i said from the log message says error code 96.

This is a known issue. Anytime the Phantom lands and the motors are not stopped-- it will try to take off again-- usually after idling for about 30 seconds. After it lands, the power to the motors need to be shut down.
There have been several conversations on this forum regarding this issue and has actually happened to me twice. I had my hands on the controls both times and prevented it from lifting of the ground on its own.

I'm not taking the props off. They are nice and snug and prolly stay like that.
Taking them off and putting them back on ..repeat ....repeat might lead to issues
Leave em on

What kind of issues? You should always be checking that your props are in balance. I don't see anyway taking off the props could cause any damage.

No it won't ... you can take props of and put them on and take them off etc, etc.
I've been doing it since April with the same props.
Just don't over tighten them. They only need to be done up finger tight.
don't be so sure - stripped threads from over-tightening wouldn't be unknown - Happens every day all the time in other mechanical repair / work in any line you care to mention cars, bikes whatever. a little torque wrench/bar would be handy to apply the correct inch/lbs (Nm)

don't be so sure - stripped threads from over-tightening wouldn't be unknown - Happens every day all the time in other mechanical repair / work in any line you care to mention cars, bikes whatever. a little torque wrench/bar would be handy to apply the correct inch/lbs (Nm)

As already mentioned above.. "Finger tight" only required.

You should be checking your prop balance too

Not necessary-- they are spin on and spin off-- snug them up by hand-- they do not need torqueing-- Check with DJI to confirm if you would like. They are referred to as "self tightening" in DJI literature.

So what would happen if your props were finger tight and your Phantom accidentally was issued a CSC motor shut down.....and began to fall (or continued rising for a few seconds on inertia until you realized the mistake to restart the motors? bye bye prop(s)?

Last edited:
I'm not taking the props off. They are nice and snug and prolly stay like that.
Taking them off and putting them back on ..repeat ....repeat might lead to issues
Leave em on
this can take it off. it was designed to do it. there no big problems here. if it can screwed tight then it safe. if its still loose now thats a problem. dont tight it too tight. hand tight is enough. one time i totally forget i didnt tight the props. i start the motors then i notice one of the props didnt rotate same speed as others. then i remembered. i off the motors and tighten it up.

Doesn't the battery shut itself off after a time if the Phantom is sitting with the motors off?

This is a known issue. Anytime the Phantom lands and the motors are not stopped-- it will try to take off again-- usually after idling for about 30 seconds. After it lands, the power to the motors need to be shut down.
There have been several conversations on this forum regarding this issue and has actually happened to me twice. I had my hands on the controls both times and prevented it from lifting of the ground on its own.
so im not alone...thank you for assuring that. ok then, land off the motors.....

Doesn't the battery shut itself off after a time if the Phantom is sitting with the motors off?
you mean auto shut off? mmmm....if other devices have this to conserve battery but for P3 never test it. did you encounter such a thing? but some say they drained their batt by just on the p3 with motors off.

So what would happen if your props were finger tight and your Phantom accidentally was issued a CSC motor shut down.....and began to fall (or continued rising for a few seconds on inertia until you realized the mistake to restart the motors? bye bye prop(s)?
Hard to understand your question. Finger tight is all that's needed.
The P3 has soft nylon (or similar) threads and they are "sticky" on the motor hub.
When the motors start and it goes vroom, vroom .. that's checking they are tight enough.
If you do or don't accidentally CSC, it makes no difference.

Hard to understand your question. Finger tight is all that's needed.
The P3 has soft nylon (or similar) threads and they are "sticky" on the motor hub.
When the motors start and it goes vroom, vroom .. that's checking they are tight enough.
If you do or don't accidentally CSC, it makes no difference.

There's a ton of information out there. Just trying to learn.
There's not a single person on this forum who knows it all. :)

Last edited:
There's a ton of information out there. Just trying to learn.
There's not a single person on this forum who knows it all. :)

.. Maybe not - but you should at least learn about the correct phantom

(Play the second video from about 1:46.. It clearly states about self tightening props)

It is a phantom in the video - this is a P3 A / P discussion..

Most probably bye bye phantom..

.. Maybe not - but you should at least learn about the correct phantom

(Play the second video from about 1:46.. It clearly states about self tightening props)
It is a phantom in the video - this is a P3 A / P discussion..

Missed that. Thanks. After doing a bit more "research", seems this isn't a big problem.
I like to snug my props just a bit with the provided wrench. Others don't. Either way it's not a game changer apparently. Self tightening props help a lot.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl