P2V & Ground Station

Okay... Does this mean you can use a PC (laptop) instead of the iPad? Do you still need the BTU if you're directly connected to the laptop via USB cable? This is confusing...

groundstation.jpg

-slinger

I still think this is only for the P2, not the P2V and whoever does the Facebook for DJI has got it wrong. The graphic doesn't mention P2V, nor the text, it's only this reply. P2V already has a data link via the camera, why would it need another? However, things may have changed I suppose and they couldn't do it via the app? Either way I don't want to shell out on parts that I don't need, or miss out on something I do - although I will miss out because I'm not buying an iPad or having to lug my laptop with me just to do waypoints if this turns out to be the case! I'm trying to get a definitive answer out of DJI via my UK dealer... he's going to ask the question direct to his account manager and technical contact in Shenzhen. Trouble is I think it's already sleepy time over there, so there might be a delay.

Right, I just got a reply to a PM I sent one of the DJI support guys on RCGroups. He's confirmed that the announcement is right in respect to the Phantom 2 but the response that said you'd need a BTU for your P2 or your Vision was not. Apparently the Vision doesn't have the appropriate hardware socket to accept the BTU in any case. He's letting DJI know to see if they can clarify the Facebook answer that triggered all this just in case there's something they haven't told everybody!!

Hold your horses, that's a whole separate question!

I just didn't want people going out getting hardware that might not be necessary.

The implementation of the existing ground station gear on the P2 shouldn't preclude the previously announced ground station functions being available to the Vision with an app and firmware upgrade... But an unambiguous clarification would be good!

GMANNZ said:
ResevorDG said:
Wow. As an American, I'm shocked! We love The Hobbit out here :)
Really though you have a beautiful country. I hope to see it one day.

Little of topic ... but I was actually an "Elf" in the original "Lord of the Rings" movie ..... and by all means come on down anytime, will take you flying in "Hobbit country" ... I meant no offence by last comment its just being an international voice tech here, I speak to US techs daily all over and am sometimes suprised to where some think I am located ;)

Yup that's off topic.... But still really awesome!
No offense taken, there are a few Americans out there that earned that title for the rest of us. :roll:

Pull_Up said:

I just didn't want people going out getting hardware that might not be necessary.

The implementation of the existing ground station gear on the P2 shouldn't preclude the previously announced ground station functions being available to the Vision with an app and firmware upgrade... But an unambiguous clarification would be good!

Do you think much of this ambiguity can be chalked up to language issues? Is this where Colin used to dovetail into how their Marketing schema dealt with new implementations for the English speaking world?

This lack of information for a product that's two weeks away, totally amazes the **** out of me... :shock: :shock: :shock:

-slinger

Pull_Up said:
Right, I just got a reply to a PM I sent one of the DJI support guys on RCGroups. He's confirmed that the announcement is right in respect to the Phantom 2 but the response that said you'd need a BTU for your P2 or your Vision was not. Apparently the Vision doesn't have the appropriate hardware socket to accept the BTU in any case. He's letting DJI know to see if they can clarify the Facebook answer that triggered all this just in case there's something they haven't told everybody!!

Hi Pull_Up,

To clarify, P2V users will not need to purchase the BTU to get the upcoming Waypoint functionality but the P2 users will?

Thanks,
Ron

P2 users need additional hardware for this upcoming release (and an iPad). The P2V waypoints flying has not been given a date or anything, it's completely unrelated to this announcement. I think someone has a slip of the keyboard in marketing or they think P2V is just a different version of P2. I doubt they have technical people updating their Facebook page on what is a Saturday in China which is why I believed it wasn't right info. Hopefully a clarification direct from DJI soon...

Pull_Up said:
P2 users need additional hardware for this upcoming release (and an iPad). The P2V waypoints flying has not been given a date or anything, it's completely unrelated to this announcement. I think someone has a slip of the keyboard in marketing or they think P2V is just a different version of P2. I doubt they have technical people updating their Facebook page on what is a Saturday in China which is why I believed it wasn't right info. Hopefully a clarification direct from DJI soon...

Thanks

Pull_Up said:

Fair enough. Although I find it odd (even for DJI) that they would announce how close they are to releasing the Ground Station for the P2, and not mention anything about the P2V. Guess I might be a little gun-shy with all of things that have gone on with DJI the last few months. I only hope DJI is true to their word...

I think the key thing might be the phrase "compliant with the many UAV regulations now emerging all over the world". The Vision side of things is arguably easier to program because we have the app (with maps) and telemetry and two way communication already (the app can yaw the aircraft, of course). I wonder if the hold-up in the latter stages has been with DJI making sure that the software won't allow autonomous flight where it's illegal/of doubtful legality or otherwise limiting it's function to try and keep onside with the various aviation authorities...? Who knows, we'll see when/if it arrives in Vision Land!

Pull_Up said:
I think the key thing might be the phrase "compliant with the many UAV regulations now emerging all over the world". The Vision side of things is arguably easier to program because we have the app (with maps) and telemetry and two way communication already (the app can yaw the aircraft, of course). I wonder if the hold-up in the latter stages has been with DJI making sure that the software won't allow autonomous flight where it's illegal/of doubtful legality or otherwise limiting it's function to try and keep onside with the various aviation authorities...? Who knows, we'll see when/if it arrives in Vision Land!

I'm also very curious to see if that new "future-proofing" will carry over to the existing GS, though I'm sure it would require a manual update to do so.

To clarify: The GS app runs on an iDevice (iPad for example). The app allows you to set waypoints, monitor & display telemetry & NAV, and issue commands to the autopilot. For aircraft without a datalink it's necessary to add it to both ends (add 2.4GHz telemetry modules), plus a means to communicate w/the iDevice (add BTU). Vision already has 2.4GHz telemetry, NAV, & a (thus far un-implemented) control link between iDevice & Vision over IP thru the Range Extender. So I doubt Vision owners will need to purchase any additional hardware, just download & install GS for Vision whenever it's released in the App Store or Google Play. Keep your peepers open & we'll know soon enough.

iDrone ;)

Pull_Up said:

I hope DJI continues with their trend of "to change compliance modes turn this screw :)"

I'm obviously late to this discussion which seems primarily focused on the technical aspects of making GS happen in this or that bird. My question is how could this possibly be made to work in the real world? Programming a flight plan and turning a craft loose to do it's own thing assumes that there's nothing else in the air - perhaps possible in very remote areas, but in populated areas, i.e., those with all manner of air traffic? Did I miss something in my understanding of what GS is?

I'm not raising the issue of what may or not be legal now or in the future, rather the common sense issue of avoiding mid-air collisions. What have I missed here?

I'm obviously late to this discussion which seems primarily focused on the technical aspects of making GS happen in this or that bird. My question is how is this going to be made to work in the real world? Programming a flight plan and turning a craft loose to do it's own thing assumes that there's nothing else in the air - perhaps possible in very remote areas, but in populated areas, i.e., those with all manner of air traffic? Did I miss something in my understanding of what GS is?

I'm not raising the issue of what may or not be legal now or in the future, rather the common sense issue of avoiding mid-air collisions. What have I missed here?

Visioneer said:
I'm obviously late to this discussion which seems primarily focused on the technical aspects of making GS happen in this or that bird. My question is how is this going to be made to work in the real world? Programming a flight plan and turning a craft loose to do it's own thing assumes that there's nothing else in the air - perhaps possible in very remote areas, but in populated areas, i.e., those with all manner of air traffic? Did I miss something in my understanding of what GS is?

Yes, there are some places where using this would be a very bad idea and could lead to a disaster. But there are many places where it would be no issue for an automated system to do its job.
Here is a great example. Lets say you have ranch in a remote place. Instead of patrolling the entire fence line by ATV you could just send up the drone to take a video of the property line and look it over later.

But yes you bring up a good point, common sense and an understanding that you may not be the only one in the sky is important for everyone to remember. There are many places in the USA where just flying any RC aircraft even a half inch off the ground is illegal.

Pull_Up said:
The P2V waypoints flying has not been given a date or anything, it's completely unrelated to this announcement.

Well, there is, or was, a time frame.

Ref: http://www.dji.com/info/news/phantom-2- ... pabilities

"December 04 2013
Additionally, a separate firmware and mobile phone App update will be released providing the Phantom 2 Vision with Ground Station capabilities including waypoint editing and autonomous waypoint navigation. The update will be released around the end of December or early January."

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl