Over whelmed

Reaction score
Overwhelmed that is!

I'm about to jump into the world of drone photography and have been searching, reading and watching videos, hours worth. I photograph commercial properties and want to provide my clients with aerial shots and maybe short videos. Of course I will obtain the license to shoot commercially.

I've come to the conclusion that the Phantom 4 pro will be the best drone, but will probably hold off to see what will be coming out in July. Maybe the P5?

The toughest decision is wether or not to use my Samsung 8" Galaxy note S2 or go with the plus for the built in screen. Either way I'll have to use my readers to see the screen well. Thoughts on this would greatly be appriciated!

Viewing the DJI site I am not able to find the Phantom Pro plus, has it been discontinued?

Thanks for reading this post and your input as to my decisions would be greatly valued!

Last edited:
I've tried the Android phones and tablets on both my Spark and my P4P and for me a 9.7" iPad with a sun shade from Aerial Drone Accessories is the best way to go in my opinion...

I've come to the conclusion that the Phantom 4 pro will be the best drone, but will probably hold off to see what will be coming out in July. Maybe the P5?
The toughest decision is wether or not to use my Samsung 8" Galaxy note S2 or go with the plus for the built in screen. Either way I'll have to use my readers to see the screen well. Thoughts on this would greatly be appriciated!
It's hard to go past the P4 pro for a great flying camera that handles so many tasks so well.
There's nothing else that comes close for performance and price.
I find that a larger tablet is easier for me than using a phone or the integrated + screen.
An 8 inch tablet is just right for me - big enough to see easily but not too cumbersome to manage.
Viewing the DJI site I am not able to find the Phantom Pro plus, has it been discontinued?
The + model is still there but it's an option when you choose a P4 pro.
You can get either the regular or the + model.

Reactions: Maddy
The toughest decision is wether or not to use my Samsung 8" Galaxy note S2 or go with the plus for the built in screen.
Here's a good video that explains the pros and cons of the + remote controller:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

DJI is currently only selling refurbished P4P+s on their website here. You can find some other authorized DJI dealers who have the P4P+ in stock here:

Buy A DJI Phantom (Deals Updated Daily)

Don't get a plus. If that screen crashes, and it does it more often than it should, you're SOL. With a tablet/phone, you just swap real fast.
I have the Plus, mine never crashes (now). Maybe did twice early on, but not now, with the current firmware. And if it crashes, the controller still works. You just reset the tablet with the button along the top of the tablet.
To be honest, I had way more issues with device/controller connections with my P3P, than issues with the Plus. It's solid as a rock.
DJI does currently list the V2.0 Plus for sale:
2018-06-26_11-56-22.jpg

Reactions: HighTechPauper

DJI is currently only selling refurbished P4P+s on their website here. You can find some other authorized DJI dealers who have the P4P+ in stock here:

Thank you, msinger. I have watched that video several times and found it informative. My biggest concern is that I'd be stuck with a smaller screen and no other options, other than buying another controller. Meta4 stated that he likes the bigger screen, I "might" be in the same boat.? I hate taking photos with my cell phone due to the size, and it is a larger one.

It's hard to go past the P4 pro for a great flying camera that handles so many tasks so well.
There's nothing else that comes close for performance and price.
I find that a larger tablet is easier for me than using a phone or the integrated + screen.
An 8 inch tablet is just right for me - big enough to see easily but not too cumbersome to manage.

The + model is still there but it's an option when you choose a P4 pro.
You can get either the regular or the + model.
Thanks, Meta4! I looked at your portfolio, well done!
One of the biggest reasons for drone photography for me is the night shots that I can shoot of commercial properties. In most cases I`m traveling and won't be able to get back to the same property again, so I'll need to know that I got the shot correct, and it seems that with the larger screen I will have more confidence. The drone shots will be secondary to my regular shots. Running a camera and a drone at the same time should be fun... I love my job!

My biggest concern is that I'd be stuck with a smaller screen and no other options, other than buying another controller.
Yes, that could be an issue. The screen is large enough for me, but I think the size of an iPhone 7 screen is large enough too.

In your case, it sounds like a larger screen would be best since the shot needs to be as perfect as possible the first time.

I have the plus also, being just a hobbyist, and even without great vision (equivalent to about 20/800) I like the screen plenty. It is bright and I can frame a shot just fine in it, and the lack of cables and clutter is preferred for me. My display crashed 2-3 times way back in the software revs but has not crashed once in the last year of flying. It is really a matter of specific needs and wants about a display, and the price difference for the plus model is not insignificant, so likely you will want pro only model instead. Perhaps my viewpoint is slightly different because I fly race/acro drones most of the time which makes the p4p+ seem like 4khd in comparison.

Thanks, Meta4! I looked at your portfolio, well done!
One of the biggest reasons for drone photography for me is the night shots that I can shoot of commercial properties. In most cases I`m traveling and won't be able to get back to the same property again, so I'll need to know that I got the shot correct, and it seems that with the larger screen I will have more confidence. The drone shots will be secondary to my regular shots. Running a camera and a drone at the same time should be fun... I love my job!
For me, I like the controller with the built in screen. I can get the P4P+ in the air much quicker than my Mavic.

For me, I like the controller with the built in screen. I can get the P4P+ in the air much quicker than my Mavic.

Have had my P4P+ for about a month now, no issues at all, for my roof inspections it's been great, I'm up and going in minutes and no need to worry about another device. I can see a big benefit with a tablet if your shooting lots of video and photography. I guess it depends on your use, personally, I'm going to buy a 2nd controller for a tablet, then you will have best of both worlds.

Reactions: snownut

Yes and as bloody usual it's not available in Australia.

I've tried the Android phones and tablets on both my Spark and my P4P and for me a 9.7" iPad with a sun shade from Aerial Drone Accessories is the best way to go in my opinion...

Thats what im using to! , - tryed an androiddevice for a couple of days when i just bought the P4, but with a Ipad pro; all the lagg and other isues just disapered!
My opinion: Ipad is the way to go!
I wish it would fit on my mavicair!
But then There is the matter of flexibility.
The Mair, is Great because of its size.
The best camera... - is the one you have with you...

And the mavic air, fits in a small pistol-case with 3batteries!
Its always with me, The p4, is a little more demanding to bring along.

On the mavic air,
I Will just have to remember to have my phone charged.
I use a sony xperia performance x, it works okey with the Mair.

Reactions: laddben
After carefully researching various brands and drone models, I purchased a P4P+ kit, included second battery, extra props and accessories. I do interior, exterior and now aerial real estate still photography. My drone was purchased and has become a very useful, reliable aerial camera. After a huge learning curve in setting up the system, my P4P+, no problems flying or photographing. The bird has been utterly reliable and controllable. I am a very conservative pilot, flying only under appropriate and legal conditions. This has been a very positive experience with the P4P+, still successfully doing aerial and ground based photography business.

There is only one change I would make if I were to do it again. After talking with a Search and Rescue colleague who flies their DJI Inspire 1, I realized one issue with the + model with built in screen, which otherwise works very well in my application. They can fly for up to 4 aircraft batteries of time using an iPad mini, where I am limited to a bit over 2 aircraft batteries of time, the controller now begin the limit of my flying. The controller has its own rechargeable battery, consumed by control circuitry, radio and screen. I saw no discussion of this specific issue in any videos or other research into which aircraft and controller to purchase. Experience is a great teacher. A separate screen such as tablet or phone would consume far less from the controller, with their own battery capacity, thus the different approach I would have taken knowing what I now know.

To date, 2 batteries worth of time has worked well. When my business expands beyond current daily real estate work, my next UAS will have a separate screen from the controller.

Reactions: D0CT0R
Thank you, msinger. I have watched that video several times and found it informative. My biggest concern is that I'd be stuck with a smaller screen and no other options, other than buying another controller. Meta4 stated that he likes the bigger screen, I "might" be in the same boat.? I hate taking photos with my cell phone due to the size, and it is a larger one.

I went through several tablets and finally ended up with a CrystalSky. Not sorry I bought it, but it is a bit pricey.

Lenovo Tab 4 10, with 4 GB and a 10.1" screen. It needs the extension on the controller, but just barely. And it is still light enough to hold comfortably. But, for me, going from my Galaxy S5 phone, it is like watching on a big screen tv! Ha. I love it. Works great with both Litchi and DJI Go!

I went through several tablets and finally ended up with a CrystalSky. Not sorry I bought it, but it is a bit pricey.
Which CS did you get (size ) ( High brightness or ultra high) and how much have you used it, have you had any problems at all ?

Which CS did you get (size ) ( High brightness or ultra high) and how much have you used it, have you had any problems at all ?
Got the 7.85" high brightness, it was expensive enough. Works well, no issues, no shade needed. Have quite a few hours on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31