Ordered direct from DJI why not version 3!?!?!

1st_time_flyer said:
I have another question for you Geert since you seem to be the resident expert. :D ...how do I know if I have the "smart" battery for my copter? any specific way to tell?

It should look like the one that I have attached.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 250
hmm looks just like mine! thanks for the reply thephantom.....one quick question maybe someone can answer here instead of starting another thread.......I live near a naval air base.....and anytime I try and fly over 400 feet I get a warning sign on my phone that says reached maximum height for this area....or something of that nature....is that because I am restricted by the base being so close? or is this in fact how far the drone can fly? thanks for any help.

This will help you with the airport info:

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

Check your Phantom Assistant Software for flight limits. 400 feet is the default/recommended. You can however change the limit setting to a higher value. I never fly above the limit.

ThePhantom said:

Check your Phantom Assistant Software for flight limits. 400 feet is the default/recommended. You can however change the limit setting to a higher value. I never fly above the limit.

thanks again for the reply thephantom....I have watched that video a couple of times but was unsure if it was because I was in a "Category B" flight path or if that was the default that comes from the factory....why do you never fly above that....just asking out of curiosity as I don't know the first thing about aviation with a quadcopter except my very limited flights this weekend.....does it become unsafe at say 600 feet or even 700 feet?

For me, its just common sense and safe practices while flying. I always maintain line of sight, even when I get my FPV setup soon. You could kill or injure someone at that height if your Phantom were to fall from the sky.

dirkclod said:
1st_time_flyer said:
I have another question for you Geert since you seem to be the resident expert. :D ...how do I know if I have the "smart" battery for my copter? any specific way to tell?
Not answering for Geert but really dude ? After I just reread this whole thing all I can say is you really need to download the manual and read it bro :shock:

I have read the manual several times.....the WHOLE manual at that......there is just a lot to take in with what this thing is capable of....I thought a forum was for asking questions that pertain to the subject at hand....I apologize..... :|

The P2 series batteries as a whole are all referred to as smart batteries.

This is due to the on-board electronics designed to prevent common LiPo mistakes such as over charging and over dis-charging, balancing the cells, and providing 'data' to the MC.

dirkclod said:
No need to apologize 1st_time_flyer ....I apologize for snapping at ya :oops: Thought you were just being smart . You are correct there is a lot to learn and I will never get it all and please don't stop asking things ! Ya gotta understand all the grandkids at Christmas makes an old guy real touchy ;) Merry Christmas bro :D

no offense taken....didn't mean to come off like I was offended....happy holidays to you as well... :mrgreen:

ThePhantom wrote:

thanks again for the reply thephantom....I have watched that video a couple of times but was unsure if it was because I was in a "Category B" flight path or if that was the default that comes from the factory....why do you never fly above that....just asking out of curiosity as I don't know the first thing about aviation with a quadcopter except my very limited flights this weekend.....does it become unsafe at say 600 feet or even 700 feet?

Hey Guys there is a Height restriction in the U.S for operating drones... FAA mandates they cannot go over 400ft... So flying in the U.S just be very very careful.

dirkclod said:
Just spoke with rep at service center here and he told me that yes some of the last P2V's had the upgrades including the new TX but that DJI has discontinued producing anymore P2V's .

There you go... That's what I figured. I wonder how many of the last P2Vs have the upgrades. Be interesting to see who gets what when Christmas is over and the flood of Noobs begins... :D

-slinger

ONLY the DJI Vision+ PLUS, Ver 3 Has these upgraded motors (2312) prior versions of the plus do not. These motors (and ESC's , are upgradeable , but its questionable as to any real benefit, depending on elevation you fly at.)

Props are stiffer and may result in "more jello" if used alone without the motor upgrade on the P2Vision. Additionally you may need to upgrade the ESC's to even use the new 2312 motors, that is dependent on when you purchased your Phantom2 or Phantom2 Vision.

It is rather confusing, but if you have 4 beeps after the initial jingle when booting, you do not have V2 ready ESC's
Read here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2281033 (READ THE POSTS IN THE THE THREAD.

(ALSO see Blade Strike's pic of the new Motor windings (indicating a rework of the motor for the performance gains.)

Unofficially, all these new features on the Vision Plus, can be used by P2 Vision owners with upgraded gimbals. (except the third axis) Coming soon we hope.

The Vision Plus V2-V3 transmitter will 'bind' to the P2Vision [ giving you all the bells and whistles of the new transmitter.]
The Vision Plus RE700 Range Extender will also 'bind' to the P2Vision for better range and RE battery status is available.

I don't believe the P2Vision owners are missing anything here...In fact, with these unofficial upgrades, the P2Vison is in some ways better than the Plus. IMHO

The P2V albeit the oldest model of the Vision, is still viable and popular platform, and as Geert as stated, has a much more robust design for its Camera, especially when paired with a good aftermarket Gimbal such as the Rotorpixel.

The Rookie

RCRookie said:
Unofficially, all these new features on the Vision Plus, can be used by P2 Vision owners with upgraded gimbals.

The Vision Plus V2-V3 transmitter will 'bind' to the P2Vision [ giving you all the bells and whistles of the new transmitter.]
The Vision Plus RE700 Range Extender will also 'bind' to the P2Vision for better range and RE battery status is available.

I don't believe the P2Vision owners are missing anything here...In fact, with these unofficial upgrades, the P2Vison is in some ways better than the Plus. IMHO

The P2V albeit the oldest model of the Vision, is still viable and popular platform, and as Geert as stated, has a much more robust design for its Camera, especially when paired with a good aftermarket Gimbal such as the Rotorpixel.

The Rookie

I couldn't agree with you more. The only bothersome thing, IMHO, is the fact that DJI consistently states that the RE700 wil not work properly on the P2V nor is the new TX supported. They work absolutely perfectly with the current level of firmware, as I have both installed... and they are both awesome upgrades. It's the lack of faith/trust in DJI that gnaws at me more than somewhat...

I guess worst case scenario is that if an upgraded firmware bricks either the RE700 or the TX, we lock the firmware down to current levels. As far as I'm concerned that wouldn't be the end of the world. The current firmware is extremely stable and offers a lot of additional functionality that wasn't available on initial release. Still... the fact that DJI won't get off that "not supported" square has my spider sense tingling... :D

-slinger

I couldn't agree with you more. The only bothersome thing, IMHO, is the fact that DJI consistently states that the RE700 wil not work properly on the P2V nor is the new TX supported. They work absolutely perfectly with the current level of firmware, as I have both installed... and they are both awesome upgrades. It's the lack of faith/trust in DJI that gnaws at me more than somewhat...

-slinger

I think we have to accept we (P2V owners) are the step children. P2 is a 2.4 ghz system, which gives it expandability for the future.
The Vision+ is the current frontrunner in the that class (under 3000 dollars) enthusiasts drone.
It seems us P2 Vision owners have been left to fend for themselves. :cry:

RCRookie said:

-slinger

I think we have to accept we (P2V owners) are the step children. P2 is a 2.4 ghz system, which gives it expandability for the future.
The Vision+ is the current frontrunner in the that class (under 3000 dollars) enthusiasts drone.
It seems us P2 Vision owners have been left to fend for themselves. :cry:

Yup... but the crew on this forum have always pulled together and figured out pretty efficient ways to do just that. The first people to take a chance on the RE700, the new TX and the RotorPixel opened up a lot of options for the rest of us. Imagine P2V owners who've never been on a forum like ours trying to cope with all of the issues we've managed to overcome... Gotta love it... :D

-slinger

gunslinger said:
RCRookie said:
Unofficially, all these new features on the Vision Plus, can be used by P2 Vision owners with upgraded gimbals.

The Rookie

I guess worst case scenario is that if an upgraded firmware bricks either the RE700 or the TX, we lock the firmware down to current levels. As far as I'm concerned that wouldn't be the end of the world. The current firmware is extremely stable and offers a lot of additional functionality that wasn't available on initial release. Still... the fact that DJI won't get off that "not supported" square has my spider sense tingling... :D

-slinger

it's funny you say that because I was looking for better range with my FPV on my Phantom Vision 2 and someone had suggested upgrading to the RE700 but on every website that I was looking to buy one on it says that it is not compatible with my particular quad.....good to know that it is in fact compatible but still confusing as too why DJI would steer away from saying that it, in fact is.....

I don't think they could brick or block use at this point. So many have already reconfig'ed even to use regular routers and Range Extenders, as well as accessing the wifi network using OpenWRT see topic:http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17608#p161284

So hopefully, we are past DJI trying to hobble releases not meant for the Vision , since we're now allowed open development SDK's etc.

I'm curious where this LTE WI-gig standard might take FPV. With 4k video over wifi (wi gig) that opens a lot of doors, hopefully even for the Vision.

RCRookie said:
I don't think they could brick or block use at this point. So many have already reconfig'ed even regular router Range Extenders to work as well as accessing the wifi network using OpenWRT see topic:http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17608#p161284

So hopefully, we are past DJI trying to hobble releases not meant for the Vision , since we're now allowed open development SDK's etc.

I'm curious where this LTE WI-gig standard might take FPV. With 4k video over wifi (wi gig) that opens a lot of doors, hopefully even for the Vision.

does the upgraded wifi transmitter that the vision + comes with make much of a difference for the phantom vision (non plus)?

1st_time_flyer said:
RCRookie said:
I don't think they could brick or block use at this point. So many have already reconfig'ed even regular router Range Extenders to work as well as accessing the wifi network using OpenWRT see topic:http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17608#p161284

does the upgraded wifi transmitter that the vision + comes with make much of a difference for the phantom vision (non plus)?
Mine is on the way as we speak...But to answer in a word YES. The P2Vision wifi range was supposed to be 300 meters...many never saw that range over Wifi video,...people are reporting 500 meters and beyond with the new RE700.

1st_time_flyer said:
RCRookie said:

Yes, the RE700 Range Extender that comes with a purchase of the Vision Plus has an "officially stated" greater range than its predecessor (RE500) that came with the first Vision.

The new Vision Plus Transmitter has newer functions that do work with the original Vision,..If you have an after market gimbal for your Vision such as the Rotorpixel Gimbal, which can utilize the gimbal wheel. The other features are internal rechargeable lipo battery (instead of AA) a game port for training software, such as Phoenix RC simulator. It also has a new feature "throttle lock" and a battery strength meter built into the power on switch, and external usb port for updates.

Hello, Everyone! I'm a total newbie to this forum and to quadcopter. In fact, I don't even have mine yet. My sons gave me a P2V for Christmas, great kids. It's in the mail. I'm starting to find and read the forums as a means to begin my education. I stumbled on this thread and it grabbed my interest. Being a geek at heart, I can't have anything without "messing" with it. So, the thought of an upgraded controller (I hope to put a Rotorpixel on after I get some flight experience) and extended wifi range seem very desirable. Has anyone done a tutorial or YT on how to install/config these two options? Or is it so simple any idiot...like me... can do it?
Thanks for the help and the helpfulness of this forum. I'm sure having this resource will quickly accelerate my learning curve. Great resource.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20