Oops... bad news - good news

...DJI said they repaired it but it would have costed them more to do that than to replace it!...
??? That doesn't make sense. They said they repaired it but then told you it would cost more to repair than to repace it? Why would they say that AFTER they said they'd already repaired it?

Live in Arizona and stopped in a State Farm office yesterday. Was told that there is no drone insurance from State Farm. Very adamant about it in fact. Anyone know what the policy is called?

NC State Farm said the same thing on 3 different occasions. They were adamant (almost rude TBH) about it. Due to their rudeness we moved all of our insurance to another organization.

Guess insurance laws etc in different states allow different policies.

I got it from State Farm for $22 a year. Hard to fly it six months out of the year, probably why it is so low. My wife insured her laptop for $22 too. When we ask about it they didn't know, said they would have to check with the under writers. This was for the P4P. Had to have proof of purchase, and serial number.

So Rich are you saying that if you have full coverage on your car and get into an accident that is 100% your fault and 100% avoidable you don't think the insurance company should pay it out? Guess what, that's what insurance is for, get over it!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
No, what I'm saying is that if I drive my car into a tree because of my poor driving, State Farm shouldn't cover it. Crashing a drone into a tree is pilot error, which shouldn't be covered. If the drone falls out of the sky because low battery warnings were ignored, State Farm shouldn't cover it. If I was the victim of random failure I would submit a claim. FWIW, if it was me I wouldn't submit a claim for my risk-taking, I'm morally and ethically opposed to do so, but even if that wasn't the case, I would be embarrassed to do so.

A few tears (years) ago I was shooting a wedding. I had three cameras hanging off my neck and shoulders. A drunken woman stumbled into me, the rig with the 24-70 f/2.8L IS hit the floor hard. State Farm covered that. The damage wasn't my fault. I needed three cameras to do the job right; one with the 24-70, another with the 70-200, and another one with the 300 f/2.8. Once I dropped a rig with the 17-40. The rig dropped because I was lazy stowing my gear. I ate that. Sometimes personal responsibility goes a long way, but hey, that's just me.

Whatever, the last thing I would do is to come out here and tell you about it if crashed my drone due to pilot error. I absolutely wouldn't come out here to say that I killed my drone, but insurance will cover it. There is insurance that will cover pilot error, that seems to be a more viable option., but a more expensive option.

I take chances with my bird. I fly with birds, close to the water, in sports mode. I expect that sooner or later I will trash my bird. I have $1700 stashed away on a credit card that is strictly for drone replacement. When I kill my bird (which will almost certainly happen), I'll go buy another, and you guys and State Farm will never know about it.

Sorry, gang, I call em' as I see em'.

Cheers,
rc

Last edited:
No, what I'm saying is that if I drive my car into a tree because of my poor driving, State Farm shouldn't cover it. Crashing a drone into a tree is pilot error, which shouldn't be covered. If the drone falls out of the sky because low battery warnings were ignored, State Farm shouldn't cover it. If I was the victim of random failure I would submit a claim. FWIW, if it was me I wouldn't submit a claim for my risk-taking, I'm morally and ethically opposed to do so, but even if that wasn't the case, I would be embarrassed to do so.

A few tears (years) ago I was shooting a wedding. I had three cameras hanging off my neck and shoulders. A drunken woman stumbled into me, the rig with the 24-70 f/2.8L IS hit the floor hard. State Farm covered that. The damage wasn't my fault. I needed three cameras to do the job right; one with the 24-70, another with the 70-200, and another one with the 300 f/2.8. Once I dropped a rig with the 17-40. The rig dropped because I was lazy stowing my gear. I ate that. Sometimes personal responsibility goes a long way, but hey, that's just me.

Whatever, the last thing I would do is to come out here and tell you about it if crashed my drone due to pilot error.

I take chances with my bird. I fly will birds, close to the water, in sports mode. I expect that sooner or later I will trash my bird. I have $1700 stashed away on a credit card that is strictly for drone replacement. When I kill my bird (which will almost certainly happen), I'll go buy another, and you guys and State Farm will never know about it.

Sorry, gang, I call em' as I see em'.

Cheers,
rc

I call them as I see them too. Your logic makes no sense. So if you are over weight, have high blood pressure, and eat a lot of fatty foods, and end up in the hospital because you abused your body, YOU ARE GOING TO PAY FOR IT? You are driving to fast for basic conditions and total your car. You are going to pay the $30k, and not have your insurance company pay for it ? I admire your ethics, but not your logic. Why do you even have car insurance, if it is your fault, you say you want submit a claim. If it is the others person fault, they will pay for it. So, do you have car insurance?

Reactions: nssdrone
I call them as I see them too. Your logic makes no sense. So if you are over weight, have high blood pressure, and eat a lot of fatty foods, and end up in the hospital because you abused your body, YOU ARE GOING TO PAY FOR IT? You are driving to fast for basic conditions and total your car. You are going to pay the $30k, and not have your insurance company pay for it ? I admire your ethics, but not your logic. Why do you even have car insurance, if it is your fault, you say you want submit a claim. If it is the others person fault, they will pay for it. So, do you have car insurance?

There is a difference between saving a human life and replacing a drone.

In this case we aren't talking about saving a life. Exclude that. Answer the question with that in mind. No answer to the rest of the post? Got car insurance? I am using your logic. Please explain to me how the examples I gave, are any different in the way you look at things. One of the reasons for Insurance is accidents.

AnchorageAK, your analogy is absurd, as is your logic. Industries do penalize for lifestyle, but comparing health care insurance to drone insurance is like comparing the license to fish requirements to the license to carry a gun, They are both licenses. They are different.

So, back to the point, I have yet to hear or find anyone who has filed one of the $22.00 state farm coverages and been reimbursed for the cost of a damaged drone.

It seems cheap, but having dealt with insurance companies, "Denial" is a way of life.

I await someone to inform me of a reimbursement for full repair for a drone by State Farm

In this case we aren't talking about saving a life. Exclude that. Answer the question with that in mind. No answer to the rest of the post? Got car insurance? I am using your logic. Please explain to me how the examples I gave, are any different in the way you look at things. One of the reasons for Insurance is accidents.
I accept your analogy, and here's what I think...

I'm passionate about wildlife photography. I have put myself and my gear in potentially dangerous situations. Most recently I've driven my minivan to a place where a billy-goat wouldn't go. I am fearless. I'm driving my minivan up a steep hillside, which was dangerous, but seemed worth it at the time. Things went well, but lets say things went south, that I flipped the minivan and totaled it. Should I reasonably expect that State Farm would cover that loss?

There was another instance where I was photographing Virginia Rails in the wetlands. The mud was up to my knees. I took a bad step and dropped into the mud. I was holding a tripod leg for dear life, preventing $12,000 worth of camera from taking a swim in the mud. My buddy was with me. He got to me across 100' of mud in few minutes. He understood what the priority was, to rescue my rig. He was successful in saving my rig, but it was close. It took every bit of strength I had to keep my rig above the mud.

Let's say things didn't work out that well, and that I trashed my rig in the mud. I put in a claim for the damage. Would I reasonably expect State Farm to cover a loss that was the result of my risk-taking? They would never honor my claim if I was honest about the actions that led to the loss.

Was the OP honest about the circumstances that led to the premature death of this fellow's drone? Does this fellow have an insurance policy that covers any loss for any reason? I don't know. Usually insurance companies want to know what the circumstances were that led to the loss. Before State Farm paid off on my claim for the loss of a camera and lens they wanted to know what happened.

I suspect that State Farm covered the loss of this fellows drone because they didn't understand the circumstances surrounding the loss. This fellow got lucky. I doubt that any insurance vendor would be as willing to cover this type of loss as more and more claims like this are submitted.

I think that we should agree to disagree. Thank you for not making this personal.

Regards,
rc

Last edited:
I'm driving my minivan up a steep hillside, which was dangerous, but seemed worth it at the time. Things went well, but lets say things went south, that I flipped the minivan and totaled it. Should I reasonably expect that State Farm would cover that loss?
Actually they probably would cover that. I know a few jeepers that have rolled jeeps on off road trails (not actually roads) and insurance cover it. What they won't cover is any add ons like lifts etc. unless you tell them about them beforehand. That's the whole point of insurance, it covers you for your mistakes as well as other's mistakes. That's what I pay for and that's what I'll ask for in return.

My wife backed into my truck once, total driver error. No way I'd eat that cost when I'm paying someone to cover that.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCJ64
Define "accidents"

I accept your analogy, and here's what I think...

I'm passionate about wildlife photography. I have put myself and my gear in potentially dangerous situations. Most recently I've driven my minivan to a place where a billy-goat wouldn't go. I am fearless. I'm driving my minivan up a steep hillside, which was dangerous, but seemed worth it at the time. Things went well, but lets say things went south, that I flipped the minivan and totaled it. Should I reasonably expect that State Farm would cover that loss?

There was another instance where I was photographing Virginia Rails in the wetlands. The mud was up to my knees. I took a bad step and dropped into the mud. I was holding a tripod leg for dear life, preventing $12,000 worth of camera from taking a swim in the mud. My buddy was with me. He got to me across 100' of mud in few minutes. He understood what the priority was, to rescue my rig. He was successful in saving my rig, but it was close. It took every bit of strength I had to keep my rig above the mud.

Let's say things didn't work out that well, and that I trashed my rig in the mud. I put in a claim for the damage. Would I reasonably expect State Farm to cover a loss that was the result of my risk-taking? They would never honor my claim if I was honest about the actions that led to the loss.

Was the OP honest about the circumstances that led to the premature death of this fellow's drone? Does this fellow have an insurance policy that covers any loss for any reason? I don't know. Usually insurance companies want to know what the circumstances were that led to the loss. Before State Farm paid off on my claim for the loss of a camera and lens they wanted to know what happened.

I suspect that State Farm covered the loss of this fellows drone because they didn't understand the circumstances surrounding the loss. This fellow got lucky. I doubt that any insurance vendor would be as willing to cover this type of loss as more and more claims like this are submitted.

I think that we should agree to disagree. Thank you for not making this personal.

Regards,
rc

Will we certainly don't agree, but we know each others opinion. I love a good intelligence discussion. Lacking in my life. When people get personal, or get mad, they have lost the discussion. I hope I never have to use my insurance. But, I am sure you have heard the expression, $hit happens. You got to admit the car insurance thing was good.:D

Reactions: JWH
Will we certainly don't agree, but we know each others opinion. I love a good intelligence discussion. Lacking in my life. When people get personal, or get mad, they have lost the discussion. I hope I never have to use my insurance. But, I am sure you have heard the expression, $hit happens. You got to admit the car insurance thing was good.:D
You defined exactly what insurance is. The only difference with a car is that's it mandatory. Having said that most people pay the additional premium to cover their own vehicle and not just the 3rd party you may hit.

The only reason I have anything to add to this, is curiosity in the similarities and differences in our two countries (I'm in Canada).

We can be very similar, or wildly different. I find that a source of fascination.

Without getting into the broad spectrum of things that could encompass, suffice it to say that although we do have State Farm, I'm not with them, but I do have a "rider" on my home insurance policy (I'm not sure if that's a term you use down there), for my wife's ring. It's insured against any loss, including "suspicious circumstances".

That's not something I even asked for... it's just part of a standard jewellery rider. So rest assured, no matter what happens with that ring, regardless whether I know what actually happened or not, I'm claiming it.

And while I do share your moral compass Rich, I also pay copious quantities of insurance $ for which I will never recoup a fraction and won't feel bad when I do make a claim in sincerity.

Sidebar... with respect to drones and our two countries, I've yet to wrap my head around why our height restriction is 300' and yours is 400'... do planes fly higher down there?!

Reactions: DCJ64
Without getting into the broad spectrum of things that could encompass, suffice it to say that although we do have State Farm, I'm not with them, but I do have a "rider" on my home insurance policy (I'm not sure if that's a term you use down there), for my wife's ring. It's insured against any loss, including "suspicious circumstances".
Same name in the US. It's for expensive itemized things. Regular insurance only covers property like paintings, rings etc. up to about $2000 in value unless you mention them. There is an extra cost but it's peanuts.

My drone is actually covered for theft from the house, car or if I ran over it in the driveway under the homeowners policy. The problem is the deductible is more than the repair cost, otherwise I'd just run it over after a crash, take a picture with the rubber marks and claim :)

AnchorageAK, your analogy is absurd, as is your logic. Industries do penalize for lifestyle, but comparing health care insurance to drone insurance is like comparing the license to fish requirements to the license to carry a gun, They are both licenses. They are different.

So, back to the point, I have yet to hear or find anyone who has filed one of the $22.00 state farm coverages and been reimbursed for the cost of a damaged drone.

It seems cheap, but having dealt with insurance companies, "Denial" is a way of life.

I await someone to inform me of a reimbursement for full repair for a drone by State Farm

You need to reread what I wrote, and think about it. So what about my other examples? They help me define my logic. So, you are saying they are wrong too? You must be if my logic is wrong. Would you mind taking each one and telling us why? I would love to hear your answers. I have read many examples of State Farms paying for damage drones on this board, and even lost ones.:D

The problem is the deductible is more than the repair cost, otherwise I'd just run it over after a crash, take a picture with the rubber marks and claim :)

Well yes, there's that too! Add to that the fact that it's not unusual for a provider to drop you if you have more than two claims in a specified time. It would take more than this for me to use one.

Well yes, there's that too! Add to that the fact that it's not unusual for a provider to drop you if you have more than two claims in a specified time. It would take more than this for me to use one.
Likewise, I think I've used homeowners insurance once in the last 20 years for a backed up sewer line in the basement of my last house. Same for cars, maybe 2 claims in 20 years and one was mentioned above when my wife backed her car into my truck. I'm not allowed to mention that "incident" anymore, which was apparently my fault because I drove my motorcycle to work that day and the full-size truck shouldn't have been there outside the garage where I always parked it! Lucky she will never read this drone forum :D

Likewise, I think I've used homeowners insurance once in the last 20 years for a backed up sewer line in the basement of my last house. Same for cars, maybe 2 claims in 20 years and one was mentioned above when my wife backed her car into my truck. I'm not allowed to mention that "incident" anymore, which was apparently my fault because I drove my motorcycle to work that day and the full-size truck shouldn't have been there outside the garage where I always parked it! Lucky she will never read this drone forum :D

Yep... one car claim in 33 years of driving, and half my roof blew off in a wind storm a few years ago. I don't even want to do the math to figure out how much I've paid in premiums.

I don't even carry PD on the motorcycle because I don't have to... I drop it, I pay for it.

Ya... thing about drone forums... wives don't really dig too deep into those, do they?! LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT