Oops... bad news - good news

Reaction score
Bad news: Flew my P4 backwards into a tree.
Good news: I have the State Farm insurance.

Here's some pics of the damage... Can it be repaired, or is it a Total?

1486750200133.jpg

1486750216101.jpg

1486750227192.jpg

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why don't you ask your State Farm agent? I would think your insurance carrier will be the one to decide if they are going to fix it or replace it, depending on cost. Anything can be repaired for a price.

Anything can be fixed, it's just a question if it's financially practical to do so versus replacement. No difference than totaling a car. It's an insurance company call at this point.

Please keep this thread up to date on what happens. I'm very interested in a State Farm policy but haven't had the chance to get one yet. I'd love to know how it goes.

What state are you in?

Please keep this thread up to date on what happens. I'm very interested in a State Farm policy but haven't had the chance to get one yet. I'd love to know how it goes.

What state are you in?
I'm in Maryland. State Farm has been excellent so far. They told me that they knew nothing about drones and asked me to have a certified service center provide an estimate, so this morning I'll be sending the P4 to camrise in New York City for the estimate.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using PhantomPilots mobile app

Subscribed because I want to know how State farm handles this. They've been great for my car insurance

P3A with Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

Here's some pics of the damage... Can it be repaired, or is it a Total?

View attachment 75847
View attachment 75848
View attachment 75849

They will probably replace it - my drone ended up like that plus a bent motor due to a battery problem at 100M+ in the air so it didn't end well, DJI said they repaired it but it would have costed them more to do that than to replace it! When it returned to me it looked like a replacement so you will have to see! :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'd love to know how this works out. Many people are getting insurance outside of the DJI coverage. I have yet to see anyone post if the insurance company paid full amount, or if they charged a deductible for depreciation and usage.

If you are fully covered and compensated, let us know.

It certainly is cheaper than the DJI coverage. Whether it provides the same repair benefit has never been posted.

I would not want to be a 'wet blanket' on this one but in my experience insurance companies are not in the business of paying out if they can see any way of wriggling out of it. I have found they can quite often point the finger of blame on someone or something that gets them off the hook. I wish you the very best of good luck and will be most interested to see what happens.o_O:rolleyes:;)

Reactions: JWH
I'm in Maryland. State Farm has been excellent so far. They told me that they knew nothing about drones and asked me to have a certified service center provide an estimate, so this morning I'll be sending the P4 to camrise in New York City for the estimate.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using PhantomPilots mobile app

Excellent news! Hopefully they take care of you! Keep us posted!

Update... just got an estimate to repair the camera, replace the shell and landing legs... $459... I called State Farm and they are cutting me a check for the $459, plus my shipping costs ($12.15), a new battery ($159), and the return shipping fee ($25). The check will be sent from Atlanta tomorrow and I should receive it about the same time the P4 is all fixed and ready to ship back to me.

Live in Arizona and stopped in a State Farm office yesterday. Was told that there is no drone insurance from State Farm. Very adamant about it in fact. Anyone know what the policy is called?

Reactions: BigAl07
Live in Arizona and stopped in a State Farm office yesterday. Was told that there is no drone insurance from State Farm. Very adamant about it in fact. Anyone know what the policy is called?
It is a Personal Articles policy. It's the same policy you would get for an expensive camera, jewelry, fine arts, stamp/coin collections, or other such articles.

You fly your drone backwards into a tree, and State Farm covers it. I have State Farm. Great, my premiums go up because I'm paying to cover your loss, which was 100% your fault, and which was 100% avoidable.

Don't thank State Farm, thank me instead

Reactions: BigAl07
So Rich are you saying that if you have full coverage on your car and get into an accident that is 100% your fault and 100% avoidable you don't think the insurance company should pay it out? Guess what, that's what insurance is for, get over it!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
This is great! I'm def going to get a policy! Now I just have to get out to get one!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20