Oh no, first the Mavic now the Spark

Yes I can. I have a very bright strobe on the back of it and a red on the front.
I fly in a valley between mountain ranges where aircraft don't fly and there is no visual obstructions.
If I didn't have the camera feed, I wouldn't fly any farther. But I do. If it is disconnected, I use the RTH feature.
I still don't see your point.

The FAA doesn't consider your camera feed as a valid VLOS. I sees only directly in front of the drone ... not up, not down, not left and not right. The VLOS rule is made so that you can see with your eyes threats that are not directly in front of the craft. Secondly, flying in valleys are the most dangerous place. You will read other entries in PhantomPilot where pilots were in vallelys considered to be safe when an aircraft came over the hill top within 1000' which you would think was within the VLOS. In this case, the ridge shielded the pilot from both a visual contact with the approaching aircraft and any noise it transmitted.

You seriously need to read the FAA Rule 107. Being unconsciously unaware of the safety issues the rules are meant to deal with is no excuse for causing the rest of us to suffer from a clamping down with even more restrictive rules.
In the Navy we would say RTFM.

If I had $700 to just blow I would buy it just out of curiosity. However, the camera doesn't seem to be good enough to justify dumping my P3P. Also, in a year or so you'll be able to get a refurbished Spark for like $200.

Reactions: Fplvert
The FAA doesn't consider your camera feed as a valid VLOS. I sees only directly in front of the drone ... not up, not down, not left and not right. The VLOS rule is made so that you can see with your eyes threats that are not directly in front of the craft. Secondly, flying in valleys are the most dangerous place. You will read other entries in PhantomPilot where pilots were in vallelys considered to be safe when an aircraft came over the hill top within 1000' which you would think was within the VLOS. In this case, the ridge shielded the pilot from both a visual contact with the approaching aircraft and any noise it transmitted.

You seriously need to read the FAA Rule 107. Being unconsciously unaware of the safety issues the rules are meant to deal with is no excuse for causing the rest of us to suffer from a clamping down with even more restrictive rules.
You need to re-read my reply, I stated that Aircraft do not fly where I go.
I really don't care what the FAA considers VLOS. They don't make laws, they make suggestions. I fly in a safe matter at a safe altitude for the surrounding conditions. I have been flying for years and have never had a single incident, near miss, or even any aircraft seen, heard or close by.
Don't you go worrying about me or anyone else. We will be okay.

Last edited:

IMG_0009.GIF
Please! You are toasted off topic drone police.:)

I still have my P3P and a P2V+ which still fly with old firmware!:p

As far as the Spark, I'd be tempted except its capabilities are not close to P3s or Mavic. I'd probably get a P4 Pro rather than a Spark!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94