Oh dear! Here I go again! Flippin .DAT files

Reaction score
Reading flipping .DAT files! I've remembered most of it but:
Made image of the drone SD onto my desktop.
Opened it and there are all the .DAT files.
However, can't work out how to "read" them get sense from them.
I have download the CsvView.zip, un zipped it and got CsvViewMac3.6.6.jar and that's it!
I understood that this was the "reader" for the .DAT files but when I click on it it just makes a duplicate of itself .2 etc.

What am I doing wrong please?

I have download the CsvView.zip, un zipped it and got CsvViewMac3.6.6.jar and that's it!
Did you download the correct version? Which do you use? PC or Mac? There is one for each. You also need Java installed as well.

datcon.PNG

Reactions: GWTX
Screenshot 2019-10-28 at 18.44.07.jpg

I'm running a Mac. Using Terminal I get:

Screenshot 2019-10-28 at 18.53.45.jpg

just error codes.

I managed to run these files before but don't remember going through this "command" business FD?

Ah, I don't have a DatCon, just CsvView??

Last edited:
@cheddarman ....Do you have 64bit Java installed? It wont run without that.

Same thing but for CSV View.....

CSV View.PNG

Download it from here and install: JAVA

Right, downloaded - I think! In terminal I entered "java -version" and got:
Michaels-MBP:~ michaeldearden$ java -version
openjdk version "1.7.0-beta"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0-beta-b20111119)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 21.0-b17, mixed mode)

Right, downloaded - I think! In terminal I entered "java -version" and got:
Not that familiar with Mac's but get out of terminal and install it. Once installed, then you can go back to terminal and follow the CSV View installation instructions. If that doesn't work for you, you can message BudWalker for help...

Reactions: cheddarman
Question for anyone reading this thread - I use a Nvidia Shield to fly my drone.
Can I use this as a PC in stead of my Mac to access the .DAT files on the drone? Using the Mac is a right pain as one has to download the whole disc.
I would need a micro USB to Micro USB connector to connect the two together but than would the Shield be able to find the files?

Can I use this as a PC in stead of my Mac to access the .DAT files on the drone?
First thought is No. You are talking two different OS's. As far as I know a tab ( Android or Apple ) will not work. You must use a PC, Apple (Mac) to do this for .dat files.

Yes, thanks. So I', still stuck with not being able to read them on my Mac! I've PM'd Greg but he doesn't use a Mac but he put me onto Greg Dominguez whom I have PM'd but no reply yet!

View attachment 115301

I'm running a Mac. Using Terminal I get:

View attachment 115302

just error codes.

I managed to run these files before but don't remember going through this "command" business FD?

Ah, I don't have a DatCon, just CsvView??
Looks to me like Terminal is not in the installation directory. Try changing directory to the installation directory and then enter java -jar DatCon.3.6.6.jar.

Hi Bud and thanks for that but I have no idea how I would do that! At 81 I'm not a computer geek :p

Doing an "Info" on the file the path is Mackingtosh HD - Applications - Utilities.

How to move it I have no idea.

Hi Bud and thanks for that but I have no idea how I would do that! At 81 I'm not a computer geek :p
Try typing the following at Google
"ios change directory"

It may also work to do a RIGHT mouse click on DatCon.3.6.6.jar.

I understood that this was the "reader" for the .DAT files but when I click on it it just makes a duplicate of itself
Thc Mac intructions on the download page say to right click on the jar file... did you try that?

OK! Getting somewhere now I think.
I have re installed DatCon and Java.
I opened the DatCon.3.6.6. with Jar Launcher and I get this:

Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 14.12.20.png

which I believe is the program I need to open the .DAT file???

Running the above program with a .DAT file inserted in the top line it converts it to a .csv file however, when I then run the CsvView program I just get an error message:
Internal ErrorTimeAxis column doesn't exist
Can't populate signals
Internat error

It would seem some data is missing but if I view the .csv file it seems fully populated with some 8500 lines (time in 1/10 seconds) and about 100 columns covering everything from motor speeds/temperatures to all the GPS coordinates, ESC info., battery info etc etc

But I'm getting there........................

Last edited:
Running the above program with a .DAT file inserted in the top line it converts it to a .csv file however, when I then run the CsvView program I just get an error message:
Internal ErrorTimeAxis column doesn't exist
Can't populate signals
Internat error
Try submitting the .DAT to CsvView directly. I.e. skip the DatCon step. CsvView will run DatCon internally.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic