Obstacle Avoidance And....

Reaction score
New pilot here and I have a couple of quick questions:

1) Is OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE automatically on or do I need to switch it on?
2) If I put the drone on TRACKING mode, is OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE automatically on?
3) In general, how does OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE interact with other modes such as WAY POINT and SPORT etc?

Any help would be much appreciated. My wife and I have loads of fun with our DJI Phantom 4 which we call "Dave". We want to keep him safe!

Cheers,
Neil and Thatiana

on my phantom 4 i get a warning when the advoidane ststem will be turned off when i go to change a flight method

Sent from Rich's iPad
Phantom 4 Pilot

Hey Einstein read that please
15d696e4fce3464b23ababb90094ffcf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

New pilot here and I have a couple of quick questions:

1) Is OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE automatically on or do I need to switch it on?
OA is turned on by default when the application is first installed on your phone/tablet. However, there is a switch in the settings where it can be turned off. You should check this and make sure it is on, and then leave it alone. There are very few circumstances where you'd want it off, and when you encounter one of those, come back to the forum.

OA is only active in P mode. S (sport) and A (atti) modes disable OA.
2) If I put the drone on TRACKING mode, is OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE automatically on?
Yes. In fact, you can't use and of the Intelligent Flight modes (Active Track, TapFly, Course Lock, etc.) without it.
3) In general, how does OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE interact with other modes such as WAY POINT and SPORT etc?
Again, OA is disabled for Sport mode. It will be enabled for a waypoint mission, as this is an Intelligent Flight mode.

It's meant to be an aid not something you rely on to fly for you. Why you'd turn it off though I'm not certain except for specific conditions.
Exactly.

Of course it's not 100% -- not even close. It's a computer, and not a very sophisticated or powerful one, relatively speaking. It's not going to substitute for a human intellect.

However, one thing is unarguably true: It will save you many times when you would crash otherwise. Forgoing that benefit seems, well, masochistic.

Leave it on all the time. Only turn it off if it is interfering with something you're trying to do. Otherwise, there's absolutely no benefit to having it off, and lots of benefit to having it enabled.

Reactions: John1960
Hi there all pilots Have read and followed the concept of obstacle avoidance and I fly with it on. Do you turn "allow horizontal avoidance" on or leave it off, I would think if it came up against a tree it may well fly around and clip a branch that is moving or not seen. What do most pilots do in this situation ?

Hi there all pilots Have read and followed the concept of obstacle avoidance and I fly with it on. Do you turn "allow horizontal avoidance" on or leave it off, I would think if it came up against a tree it may well fly around and clip a branch that is moving or not seen. What do most pilots do in this situation ?
When I fly under a tree canopy I disable avoidance and configure RTH to hover and I stay in LOS, it's up to me and go figure it out because I don't want my craft to go smack into trees, that's my job! Just remember to reconfigure RTH to return home before even turning your craft off if you are done and checking it every time before take off.

Reactions: SeabirdP4

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31