Phantom 4 RTK Advise please. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi, we have just purchased a P4 RTK to augment our survey work and have a couple of questions.
  • Wi-fi Connection - When we connect the controller (the one with the attached screen) to a wi-fi network to update firmware etc the connection to the drone disconnects. So for RTK flights using an existing VRsNow subscription we have, is using the dongle the only way to connect to the network? I was kinda thinking that we could wi-fi hotspot our phone and jump onto the network connection that way.
  • Photo settings - I have read that the photograph capability of the P4 RTK has been locked to JPG, I can understand this for survey work to collect data for models and DEM's etc while using the drone with the Phantom RTK flight planning application. But we also like to take some nice wider shots of the site and can't see a way to do this and capture some RAW images that can be post-processed and beautified. We've tried the DJI Pilot app which is bundled on the controller and this looks to have the same restriction of JPG only, are we missing something?
  • Flight Log - I can't find where the flight log txt file is after a photogrammetry flight is. Is it not produced? Where should I be looking as I've flown a few times and searched the SD card for a txt file and can't find it?
  • Weak RTK can't take off - I there s workaround for this? The last two survey jobs where we have got the drone out on, were on fully surveyed sites with a Trimble R10Rover and a VRS network with no issues of signal or drop out. However, when the drone has had the network sim card installed in the dongle and connected OK to the mobile network, the RTK signal has been low, but if launched on GPS, the RTK single looks to get better. Is there a way to launch on GPS, gain some height and then switch the mission to RTK?

Sorry for so many questions but we trying to get the most out of this drone, and help would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Ossey

1) You can share wifi with you cell phone instead of using a dongle. Easier and cheaper
2) I think you can not take raw pictures, but im not for sure because i don't use it. Someone post about it in this days
3) Is in the phantom and you can export ir using DJI Assistant 2 For Phantom
4) Sometimes i loose connection with my DRTK2 but when there is 2km length between the phantom a drtk2 or there is building between. BUT: i do see sometimes that message, when the drone has not take off and is beside the DRTK2 Weak RTK can't take off. I usually reset the drone and works perfect.

1) You can share wifi with you cell phone instead of using a dongle. Easier and cheaper
2) I think you can not take raw pictures, but im not for sure because i don't use it. Someone post about it in this days
3) Is in the phantom and you can export ir using DJI Assistant 2 For Phantom
4) Sometimes i loose connection with my DRTK2 but when there is 2km length between the phantom a drtk2 or there is building between. BUT: i do see sometimes that message, when the drone has not take off and is beside the DRTK2 Weak RTK can't take off. I usually reset the drone and works perfect.
HI Thanks for the reply, However I can't share wi-fi and have the drone conneected to the controler that's an issue I'm having.
Cheers

Flight Log - I can't find where the flight log txt file is after a photogrammetry flight is. Is it not produced? Where should I be looking as I've flown a few times and searched the SD card for a txt file and can't find it?

Here are steps of how to extract log files and upload them to Airdata:
  • Power on controller
  • Connect controller to laptop using the USB C port at the front of the controller (the cord is in the box with the drone)
  • Swipe down from the top to get the drop-down menu
  • Select the USB icon on the bottom right (tap so it turns grey)
  • Select "Touch to copy files to/from your computer"
  • TURN ON USB STORAGE
  • Give it a moment to load. It will load two directories
  • Search for" DJIflightrecord"
  • Select the logs associated with your job
  • Save to a folder (not required)
  • My LOGS
  • UPLOAD
  • Drop and drag all files in
  • Select the correct pilot
  • Upload Flights
  • Don’t close this tab until all uploads are complete

Weak RTK signal- turn RTK off, take-off, turn RTK back on. This will let you take off then it will get correction if it can. If not, hopefully you have enough GCPs to control the project.

DJI Pilot app- you have that preloaded on your P4RTK? We have three and they all only came with the P4RTK app. We have the same situation all the time that we want to take some shots of the site beyond the nadir imagery so we’ll just break out the M2Pro.

Hi, we have just purchased a P4 RTK to augment our survey work and have a couple of questions.
  • Wi-fi Connection - When we connect the controller (the one with the attached screen) to a wi-fi network to update firmware etc the connection to the drone disconnects. So for RTK flights using an existing VRsNow subscription we have, is using the dongle the only way to connect to the network? I was kinda thinking that we could wi-fi hotspot our phone and jump onto the network connection that way.
  • Photo settings - I have read that the photograph capability of the P4 RTK has been locked to JPG, I can understand this for survey work to collect data for models and DEM's etc while using the drone with the Phantom RTK flight planning application. But we also like to take some nice wider shots of the site and can't see a way to do this and capture some RAW images that can be post-processed and beautified. We've tried the DJI Pilot app which is bundled on the controller and this looks to have the same restriction of JPG only, are we missing something?
  • Flight Log - I can't find where the flight log txt file is after a photogrammetry flight is. Is it not produced? Where should I be looking as I've flown a few times and searched the SD card for a txt file and can't find it?
  • Weak RTK can't take off - I there s workaround for this? The last two survey jobs where we have got the drone out on, were on fully surveyed sites with a Trimble R10Rover and a VRS network with no issues of signal or drop out. However, when the drone has had the network sim card installed in the dongle and connected OK to the mobile network, the RTK signal has been low, but if launched on GPS, the RTK single looks to get better. Is there a way to launch on GPS, gain some height and then switch the mission to RTK?

Sorry for so many questions but we trying to get the most out of this drone, and help would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Ossey
I use the dJI. Base station and iPad or iPhone only. Works great

the p4 RTR will not take off without Re-orientation

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20