New undocument 1.4 firmware restrictions / additions and no fly zones.

Reaction score
Hello.. In typical DJI fashion regarding their lack of proper documentation and change logs. There are at least two new restrictions / changes that are not documented or mentioned in the 1.4 firmware update that some of you may be interested in knowing about.

First one is new no fly zones, which were likely the result of the 3DR Solo that crashed in the middle of a US Open Tennis game and was highly televised. You can no longer fly near most stadiums among other things. If you were also interested in filming around places like flushing meadow park you will have a hard time now as most of it is now blocked off with these additional no fly zones added.

Second for those of you who need to fly over 500M / 1640 feet high. The ability to fly higher using the Return to Home function followed by throttle up no longer works. You can not go past 1640 feet any longer using that trick / glitch / function or whatever you would like to call it.

If there are any other restrictions that were added to the new firmware you know about, feel free to add them to the thread.

Thanks Ben.... Interesting...I don't push mine to the beyond limits so it does not effect me. Personally I think it will help the brand. If folks want to take a uav to the Moon, :) they should build their own so restrictions won't hurt them.

Dji is a market drone and was not ment to be used above that. So I'm cool with that...

Just my opinion...

Thanks for the info then Ben...

Reactions: nickyb
Yup thanks to a few foolish care-less pilots, big changes are going to succumb many.

Just read this,,,
Some new rumors about the new firmware, which comes out in October, I have found in another forum.

http://www.drohnen-forum.de/inde ... tID=72185#post72185

1. Once the firmware is updated, the current version 1.05.0011 could only be rolled back to the 1.04.0010(latest public firmware), the downgrade to the 1.04.0005 (dev previous firmware) couldn’t be accomplished due to the structure of the firmware.
2. Support uploading waypoints and executing flight mission when aircraft is on the ground.
3. The Waypoint Trace Length(The distance from the first waypoint to the last one) increased from 10km to 30km.
4. The Mission Length(Waypoint Trace Length plus the distance between the current position to the first waypoint and the distance between the last waypoint to the Home point) increased from 15km to 40km.
5. Disallow activate Home Lock or Course Lock while the aircraft is still on the ground. Exit Home Lock or Course lock as soon as the aircraft is landed.
6. Removed wind compensation while using control stick to control the horizontal movement of
the aircraft.

1. The distance between two consecutive waypoints must be between 2 to 2000 meters.
2. Disable rotate function during follow me when the aircraft is in the 4M circle
3. Change the Max speed of follow me from 15m/s to 10m/s。
4. Added Point of Interest option while the aircraft is in Follow Me mode.
5. Fixed the issue of users being able to breach the 500m altitude limitation.
6. User can choose whether keep the initial take‐off point as home point in the follow me mode.
7. Disable start Go‐home during POI
8. Added “pause” function in Follow Me mode.
9. Modified propulsion saturation model to reduce the possibility of displaying the propulsion saturation warning.
10. Added customizable actions in Waypoint mode to handle various Failsafe errors.
11. Fixed issue of the Phantom 3 aircraft being able to take off when the GPS is disconnected from the center board.
12. Fixed vibration issue for the Inspire 1 when it is in Point of Interest mode.
13. The flight controller now sends a signal to the DJI GO app when the aircraft reaches the last waypoint.
14. When travelling to the first waypoint, the aircraft now adjusts its heading to face the waypoint.
15. Fixed issue of all flight missions resetting when user pauses a flight mission that has not yet been executed in Waypoint mode.
16. Disabled Follow Gimbal Pitch .
17. Fixed issue of the Joystick sending the NAN command that may cause the aircraft to crash.
18. Maximum waypoint horizontal speed is changed to 15 m/s.
19. Solve the POI mode directly throttle up executing abnormal problem.

1. Added option for failsafe action while the aircraft is in Waypoint mode.
2. Enable emergency stop interface for Onboard SDK.
3. Added Point of Interest orientation mode on protocol level.
4. Modified the limit value for follow slop and max velocity attribute.
5. Added altitude tracking for Follow mode.
6. Modified push data operation in Follow mode.

1. Fixed the issue of flight altitude restriction is by‐passed when pushing the throttle up to elevate the aircraft during failsafe.
2. Fixed the issue of motor drive issue for the gimbal.
3. Fixed the issue of motor power display error.
4. Fixed the issue of Joystick API that may lead to crashing.
5. Fixed the issue of aircraft unable to resume from pausing in Follow mode.
6. Fixed the issue of aircraft does not enter failsafe during low battery when using a non‐intelligent flight battery.
7. Fixed the incorrect yawing orientation issue.
8. Fixed the issue of aircraft can take off even with the GPS is unplugged from the center board.
9. Fixed the issue of aircraft does not fly in a straight line while operating in the Course Lock mode.

This should be Very interesting. . .

RedHotPoker

I think dji follows all the forums, See's the tweaks and hacks and work arounds. The pilots flying and boasting publicly of 3 miles out..x number of feet high bragging rights they mite not be intentionally trying to hurt but do just as the pilots flying over stadium's. Sure it's not quote the law, but it hurts everyone.

The P2 did not draw this attention but it seems the birth of the P3 sure did. By coincidence? Anyone's guess...

Estimates of one million drones to be sold during Christmas season are a sign that it's only going to get worse. More people without a clue flying and giving the news more stories. If we can't police ourselves, then someone else will.
The big companies need to spend their advertising dollars on educating the public and new pilots.

Reactions: Justin Namon
its probably right that they nerf the phantom to death and avoid all the mistakes from thousands of clueless new pilots.
meanwhile experience pilots can get other quadcopters.

that said, id like to have a button to "unlock" and let it be on "easy mode" by default. heck even a custom flash or whatever takes some knowledge (never gonna happen though)

in the meantime i'll probably be selling my phantom soon

For all the 'responsible' pilots here... the impending doomsday that is coming won't really matter because they always fly responsibly and would never fly in these areas anyways. I don't see the big deal.

Reactions: nickyb
Rather than RTF (ready to Fkup) out of the box, DJI need to build a training simulation program that unlocks achievements. On completion, a quick multiple choice. Each" achievement unlocked" will grant them further distances/height etc.
DJI can use this data with real flight data and give out different class "licenses" like gran tourimo does on the playstation. It would build competency for the RC community.

Rather than RTF (ready to Fkup) out of the box, DJI need to build a training simulation program that unlocks achievements. On completion, a quick multiple choice. Each" achievement unlocked" will grant them further distances/height etc.
DJI can use this data with real flight data and give out different class "licenses" like gran tourimo does on the playstation. It would build competency for the RC community.

They'd lose money on all the new phantoms they sell to the people the crash them.:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.