New to drones

Reaction score
1st o wanna say, hello everyone! I hope I can make friends here. I'm new to drones, and last week just got a used Phantom 3. I think it's the 4k. I'm trying to figure it all out, as much detail I can that's involved with this drone. What it can do, how far I can go, can I boost with software (i heard about some sort of turbo boost program?) And/or antenna boost, without taking the transmitter apart and soldering anything? Are Wi-Fi repeaters any good? If so, what affordable one would work best. So far, from my understanding, the 4k, is just a standard, but with a 4k camera. Which kinda blows, cause when I was planning this purchase, I didn't know there was soo many models of the Phantom 3. And when I read up one them, I was excited to see that they could go like 3.5 miles. But I guess not.?. At least not with the 4k? I would think it was a better one than the standard, cause it has dual antennas. Well, I could go on n on about questions, cause there's sooo much I'd like to know about it, and what I can do with it. So if anyone has the spare time, and like to help me out, I would really love it! Also a couple other quick things.. how do I get the follow me, and make it do a trip/flight on it's own (i forget what they call it)? And did I get ripped for $650?? It's in great shape, came with 5 batteries, a backpack (stores everything! ), 4 extra brand new blades, charger, and an older iPad mini 2 (which is another problem I'm having, he restored it to factory, and I can't get the app, cause it says, not compatible with the device, but he was using it. So I'm using my android phone ). I was just wondering about what's it worth, cause, like I said, I thought the P3s we're all the same. And we're like, $1,200 new. And could go over 3 miles. But don't get me wrong, I do love it, and really enjoy flying it. I haven't gone very far yet. Just around the yard, and over the pine trees. Also, I should have mentioned, I am experienced with RC birds. I've have 3 helicopters, 1, 3d trick copter. And 2, gas power .40 size planes. And cheap drones

@Dave427chevy, welcome to The forum! You are sure to find as much information as you need and friends here. Just my quick piece of advice is learn four words, four letters... VLOS. If you abide by regulations there's no need to turbo boost the system. Just get yourself a parabolic antenna and you'll be able to fly further than you can see it. Doesn't mean you should though.

P3 Parabolic Antenna

@Dave427chevy, welcome to The forum! You are sure to find as much information as you need and friends here. Just my quick piece of advice is learn four words, four letters... VLOS. If you abide by regulations there's no need to turbo boost the system. Just get yourself a parabolic antenna and you'll be able to fly further than you can see it. Doesn't mean you should though.

P3 Parabolic Antenna
I'll have to look up the VLOS

P3 Parabolic Antenna
thnks guys. Wasn't expecting any replies, but I figured. I'd give it a shot. I'll have to check out the VLOS. As far as the distance thing, I won't argue that it's probly best to keep in view. And tbh, (for 1 thing) I don't have a lot of money (matter of fact, I didn't actually pay $650, i was fortunate enough to have something of value, the guy was interested in, to trade) or I'd just buy a P4 pro, or magic 2 pro. So I'm scared to death even going much higher than the pine trees. And it'll be a long time before I have big enough balls to go very far. My point is, isn't this why some/most people choose to buy a model that go long distance,.. So they can? And, why they even design models that "can" go that far. Also, what made me "Have To" have one, is watching the vids on YouTube, of people taking long distance flites "with" Phantoms. I'm sure someone has watched nevermindyourown. I know that guy is crazy, and I don't plan to ever be as reckless. And I sure don't wanna do anything that'll get me in big trouble. But I did (as many ppl do), choose to buy this model, Because it can travel ! I live out in the country, not much to see becides pine trees, and farms anyway. But it would still be cool to travel to some nearby farms, and cotton fields to catch some nice vid. Plus there isn't any big or small/private airports for at least 40 miles. Rite now I am just taking baby steps. But I would like to know I could (one day) go at least a mile, and still have good signal. So, I guess that's one of my questions, can the 4k go a mile, and still have room to spare? It seems like the transmitter is a better one than the standard P3, cause of the dual antennas. (?).

vlcsnap-2019-11-21-17h14m58s227.png

I'll have to look up the VLOS
thnks guys. Wasn't expecting any replies, but I figured. I'd give it a shot. I'll have to check out the VLOS. As far as the distance thing, I won't argue that it's probly best to keep in view. And tbh, (for 1 thing) I don't have a lot of money (matter of fact, I didn't actually pay $650, i was fortunate enough to have something of value, the guy was interested in, to trade) or I'd just buy a P4 pro, or magic 2 pro. So I'm scared to death even going much higher than the pine trees. And it'll be a long time before I have big enough balls to go very far. My point is, isn't this why some/most people choose to buy a model that go long distance,.. So they can? And, why they even design models that "can" go that far. Also, what made me "Have To" have one, is watching the vids on YouTube, of people taking long distance flites "with" Phantoms. I'm sure someone has watched nevermindyourown. I know that guy is crazy, and I don't plan to ever be as reckless. And I sure don't wanna do anything that'll get me in big trouble. But I did (as many ppl do), choose to buy this model, Because it can travel ! I live out in the country, not much to see becides pine trees, and farms anyway. But it would still be cool to travel to some nearby farms, and cotton fields to catch some nice vid. Plus there isn't any big or small/private airports for at least 40 miles. Rite now I am just taking baby steps. But I would like to know I could (one day) go at least a mile, and still have good signal. So, I guess that's one of my questions, can the 4k go a mile, and still have room to spare? It seems like the transmitter is a better one than the standard P3, cause of the dual antennas. (?).
Sounds like you have a P3 Pro. If your controller has twin antenna and you're certain it's 4K, you have a pro.

My suggestion is to download the manual from the DJI website. Read it all the way through. Then, read it again. Most crashes and loss of the drone can be attributed to pilot error. Understanding how the aircraft works is key to safety and peace of mind.

Take your time at first. Keep in an open area, away from trees or any other obstacles. The range will depend upon conditions, but the the aircraft is rated at up to 2 - 3 miles distance depending upon what country you're in. Personally, I rarely let the thing out of my sight. I don't have to. I use it primarily for photography and some video production.

But if you want to fly over and check out the countryside, you can. Use some caution as we've all heard stories of drones getting shot out of the sky by farmers who find them intrusive.

As to increasing range, there is no software that will boost your range. You can purchase "windsurfers" which help direct the signal and they have been known to increase distance.

Happy flying!

Reactions: Dave427chevy
Sounds like you have a P3 Pro. If your controller has twin antenna and you're certain it's 4K, you have a pro.
The P3-4K uses the GL358wB RC which also has twin antennas like the RC’s used by a P3P.

An easy way to tell is for @Dave427chevy to check which model of RC he is using.

Reactions: JoBe and Capt KO
Yes, the phantom 3 professional can fly at least 2 miles without any antenna modifications as long as there is nothing obstructing the signal of the remote controller to the a/c. In my area,there are lots of trees and hills to contend with, therefore I need altitude and a clear path for a consistent signal. VLOS is always the best choice, and also the law. The phantom can go farther than you ever feel comfortable with,, so for everyone’s peace of mind and safety,please use good ‘ol common sense ?

The photos showing gold bands on the craft appear to be the P3P, good for 3 miles range with a windsurfer on the antennas. The P3S (range < 1mi) has red bands I think, and silver bands are the P3A (range of 3mi).

Last edited:
The photos showing gold bands on the craft appear to be the P3P
The P3-4K also has gold bands like the P3P.
I'm not saying that he doesn't have a P3P. He may have a P3P and I hope he does for the price he paid to make any sense.
People often confuse the two models which is why I normally ask for the RC model number to be sure or the gimbal top (main) board to be almost sure. :)

P3-4K.jpg

P3P v P34k connections.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and Capt KO
A P3P w/5 batts for $650, if excellent, (no cracks) is a fair price. IMO. I would suggest adding P3 motor supports. I use Owoda brand metal supports $20 Amazon. Good luck, Enjoy!

Reactions: KachemakDiver
The easiest way to tell if it is a P3P is to look at the top of the gimbal housing of the camera. If it says Phantom Pro, then it’s a Phantom 3 Professional. If it says Phantom 4K then it’s a Phantom SE. These 2 cameras DO NOT interchange! Anyone can change the color of the stripes on the drone. I personally change mine to the carbon fiber style of stripes, usually Chamillian, Blue, Carbon black, and Gold. Like to mix them up on each drone. Also, when you first login to the DJI GO app, if you you power on the drone first, the app will say on your device which model you are connecting to.

Reactions: Capt KO
The P3-4K also has gold bands like the P3P.
I'm not saying that he doesn't have a P3P. He may have a P3P and I hope he does for the price he paid to make any sense.
People often confuse the two models which is why I normally ask for the RC model number to be sure or the gimbal top (main) board to be almost sure. :)

View attachment 115768
View attachment 115774
Hmm, didn't know the 4k used gold. Good to know, somewhat deceptive by DJI IMO.

Ya, about like having “4K” printed on the side of the camera housing! I had once bought a 4K camera/gimbal assembly on eBay, the seller listed it as a P3P. Turned out to be a 4K for a Phantom SE. Had a heck of a time proving to them that they were not compatible. THANK GOODNESS for this forum, you guys helped me settle it! ?

Reactions: Capt KO
If it says Phantom 4K then it’s a Phantom SE.
The P3 SE uses the GL358wD RC which has only one antenna similar to the GL358wA RC used by the P3S. He said he has flown it with a two antenna RC, so that eliminates the P3 SE, but does not eliminate the P3P or the P3-4K. DJI didn't make it easy with their five P3 model names. Most web sites confuse the models and sell wrong parts or use wrong pictures or both.

Your post reminded me however of something I was wondering a couple of years back but forgot to check on at the time. I hope the OP does not mind if I ask a separate but sort of related question in his thread.

In my earlier post, I attached pix of the gimbal top board stickers for the P3P and the P3-4K which seem to be by far the most confusing for people. I know the P3P gimbal board housing sticker shows as PRO, the P3A as ADV, the P3S as STA, and the P3-4K as simply 4K. The fifth P3 model, the P3 SE, often shows online with STA, but of course most people don't even know about the SE model and even if they do they often show the wrong photos for the gimbal/camera. Plus, the P3S is not 4K so that seems unlikely. DJI seems to only show that the SE model does not have anything printed on the side of the camera housing itself (same as nothing for the P3S) but the the P3P and the P3-4K both have 4K printed on the camera housing. DJI does not show the sticker on top of the gimbal board housing, so it's left to unreliable sale listings which is scary.

So with all of that long lead up to my question, do you happen to know for sure what the gimbal board housing sticker shows for a P3 SE?

Reactions: JoBe
These are pictures of a phantom 3se 4K camera that I mentioned in my post #17.

Attachments

• D502BC83-668E-41E1-A8EC-5E3FB1520149.jpeg
    D502BC83-668E-41E1-A8EC-5E3FB1520149.jpeg
    561 KB · Views: 167
  • 67951651-1D3E-42A8-B4E4-500D0CB4D2D2.jpeg
    67951651-1D3E-42A8-B4E4-500D0CB4D2D2.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 182
These are pictures of a phantom 3se 4K camera that I mentioned in my post #17.
So both models (P3-4K and P3-SE) show a sticker on the gimbal board housing which says simply 4K. Interesting. I guess the only way to tell the gimbal/camera units apart then is that the P3-4K model has 4K printed on the side of the camera housing whereas the P3-SE model has a blank camera housing. Thanks sir.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic