NEW PHANTOM 3 STANDARD OWNER SEEKING ADVICE FROM YOU PROS

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I had a Phantom 2 Vision, and Had to get out of it because of a severe hand injury. I have recently decided to get back into this fascinating world of aerial Photography, and I purchased a Phantom 3 Standard. I have a couple of questions.
1. All the videos I have been watching have the S-1 and S-2 switches located down on the side. Mine are located on top, same as the old Phantom 2 Vision I had. They're clumsy and in the way all the time. This makes it hard to follow instruction videos when my controller looks like the old model, except for the addition of the new camera tilt on the left side. Did I get the wrong remote, or what?

2. What are the best deals on props from Amazon.

3. When I switch to multi mode in the settings, there seems to be no way to get back to the factory default P mode without hitting the "Reset back to defaults" switch. Is there an easier way?

Thanks for listening and I hope someone can answer these questions.

You might have looked at P3A/P remote controller. The video below answers your questions 1 & 3. On the genuine DJI props, they are about $15 for a set of 4.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What are the best deals on props from Amazon.
You can find a complete list of compatible props here.

When I switch to multi mode in the settings, there seems to be no way to get back to the factory default P mode without hitting the "Reset back to defaults" switch.
You should be able to turn off this setting -- just like you turned it on. I would recommend keeping it on though in case you need to switch to ATTI mid-flight.

WOW, thanks for the great answer and quick response. That's the video I was looking for, but for some reason didn't see it on the DJI Site. I'm glad there are some knowledgeable guys on here. Can you post a link to the rest of the videos for :
1. Point Of Interest
2. Follow Me
3. How to change to FCC mode for greater distance
And the other features of my P3 Standard?
Also, maybe you can suggest the best FPV Goggles and Prop Guards. I'm an old geeser and I have trouble seeing the iPad in daylight.
Oh, almost forgot to ask this important question:
I purchased a Cellular iPad, (iPad Air 2 Cellular) but I don't have phone service on it. When using the DJI GO app, the roads and other map DO NOT show up on the map flight page. Any ideas on this. I would need a map to tell where the P3 Standard is , especially if it goes down and I have to locate it.

Last edited:
Can you post a link to the rest of the videos for.
You can find more videos here.

It's not possible to manually change from CE to FCC. It's auto set based on the Phantom's GPS location.

Oh, almost forgot to ask this important question:
I purchased a Cellular iPad, (iPad Air 2 Cellular) but I don't have phone service on it. When using the DJI GO app, the roads and other map DO NOT show up on the map flight page. I use other active map apps such as WAZE on this same iPad that do work. Any ideas on this. I would need a map to tell where the P3 Standard is , especially if it goes down and I have to locate it.

You don't need to activate a cellular plan on your iPad. iPads with cellular have GPS. If you had any Wi-Fi only iPad you would not be able to utilize some of the features in the GO app like follow me.
Using your household Wi-Fi, open the GO app and it will cache the maps before you go for a flight.

You don't need to activate a cellular plan on your iPad. iPads with cellular have GPS. If you had any Wi-Fi only iPad you would not be able to utilize some of the features in the GO app like follow me.
Using your household Wi-Fi, open the GO app and it will cache the maps before you go for a flight.
I've had it on my house WIFI many times, but the maps still don't show up. No data, roads, rivers or anything. I did check the settings and everything is turned on.

On the height limit by FCC, is there a map for my area I can look at online? I'm in Western Montana.

I've had it on my house WIFI many times, but the maps still don't show up. No data, roads, rivers or anything. I did check the settings and everything is turned on.

On the height limit by FCC, is there a map for my area I can look at online? I'm in Western Montana.

Have you enabled "Cache map in the background" in the GO app?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453850167.925098.jpg

WOW, that did it. I don't know how I missed that. Thanks so much. I feel better now knowing where the phantom is. I live in the Rocky Mountains and it could be hard to find if I didn't know where it went down.
Another question: - Is there any way to connect to both my LAN WIFI and the Phantom at the same time?
About the MC Settings : I hear guys talking about flights much longer than the 500 meters they let you set the distance to . How are they doing that if it's limited to 500M in the app. Also, i can't seem to set the altitude over 30 Meters, it keeps resetting to 30 Meters in the app.

WOW, that did it. I don't know how I missed that. Thanks so much. I feel better now knowing where the phantom is. I live in the Rocky Mountains and it could be hard to find if I didn't know where it went down.
You're welcome, I've only had my standard for seven weeks now and I have learned lots on this forum and from watching videos on YouTube.
Another question: - Is there any way to connect to both my LAN WIFI and the Phantom at the same time?
No, it's one or the other.
About the MC Settings : I hear guys talking about flights much longer than the 500 meters they let you set the distance to . How are they doing that if it's limited to 500M in the app. Also, i can't seem to set the altitude over 30 Meters, it keeps resetting to 30 Meters in the app.
Maximum altitude is 500 m, unfortunately you cannot override that. Turn off maximum distance, if that is on you can set your distance up to 500 m, when it is off and with good reception you should be able to go beyond 1000 m. If beginner mode is turned on you're restricted to 30 m altitude and 30 m distance.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453859368.654569.jpg

OK, got that and thanks. I clicked "Cache Maps, but when I went in and shut it all off, then turned on the controller, Phantom, and iPad, the maps were gone again. I thought it would load the maps while on WIFI, and Cache them so they would be there next time I turned it all on ---- Inside or outside. Hmmmm

I would like to find other Phantom Fliers in my area. Is there a site for that out there? i would be willing to drive 100 miles if so. Montana population for the entire state is only 1,000,000 so people are scarce here in this big state.

Hmm, that's strange.
I use an android tablet to fly with and I'm able to cache the maps before I go out for a flight.
I also have an original iPad mini(video feed is terrible) and an iPhone 5s(screen to small) and the GO app works as it should on all my devices.

Hmmmm, maybe I'm not doing it right. I have to turn on the house WIFI and go outside to get the maps to come up. Maybe you can tell me step by step how you're doing it.

OK, got that and thanks. I clicked "Cache Maps, but when I went in and shut it all off, then turned on the controller, Phantom, and iPad, the maps were gone again. I thought it would load the maps while on WIFI, and Cache them so they would be there next time I turned it all on ---- Inside or outside. Hmmmm
After enabling "Cache map in the background", you need to connect your iPad to your home's WiFi network. Then switch back to DJI Go app and tap on the map window to open it in full screen. Now you need to zoom in/out the area you'll be flying to get the details. That area should now be cached.

Aha. Thanks for that. It worked, and I cached all the maps detail I think I'll be flying soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers