new guy

Reaction score
just received my p 4 pro two days ago I'm scared to death to take it up!
I feel like I should have direct supervision by an experienced pilot.
I've been flying in the simulator, and I even loose it there!
Any advice would be much appreciated as to my next coarse of action.

First and foremost READ THE MANUAL over and over and over a third time. Ask questions here, most are very helpful!

First of all good luck! I was in your shoes a month and a half ago and have taken it slow. I would read the manual which you need to download. Read the most common mistakes from msinger's post above. If this is your first drone only fly in "P" mode, 12 satelites or more, and preferably in beginner mode. Don't be tempted to skip the compass calibration. I will guess that you will be prompted to do the firmware and app update, I would not rush into that. Some people have had problems with that update, if you decide to do it you should read up on it and follow the directions exactly. I still have not done the update and will probably wait a few more weeks to see how it all works out. My P4 is flying perfectly so I am not inclined to rush into the update. You should begin in an open area outdoors where there is nothing to run into. The first thing I would do is take off to about chest height and let it hover, it should maintain its position on its own if not you should land and find out why. Then try some basic moves the video below might be helpful.

Youtube is also loaded with a bunch of videos showing how to be a moron with your new drone.

Return to home is a feature you should think about in some detail.

Reactions: Golfgreg
Fire it up, give it a bit to acquire satellites and a good home point, manually take off and let it hover about 15-20 feet up. It won't go anywhere. Start getting a feel for the controls with slow, deliberate movements. If you have an unobstructed open area start moving it in a 'box' pattern without changing altitude, then practice keeping the camera facing forward while moving in the same pattern. Reverse the pattern and practice some more. Pay attention to the aircraft, not the FPV. If you get nervous or loose orientation of the aircraft just let go of the sticks until you figure it out. You really don't need anybody there advising you. Don't panic and press return to home in haste. That might not end well depending on where you are and how close you are to your home point. Land manually. I'm not sure why anybody would want to take off or land auto.

Reactions: BCBasher
Fire it up, give it a bit to acquire satellites and a good home point, manually take off and let it hover about 15-20 feet up. It won't go anywhere. Start getting a feel for the controls with slow, deliberate movements. If you have an unobstructed open area start moving it in a 'box' pattern without changing altitude, then practice keeping the camera facing forward while moving in the same pattern. Reverse the pattern and practice some more. Pay attention to the aircraft, not the FPV. If you get nervous or loose orientation of the aircraft just let go of the sticks until you figure it out. You really don't need anybody there advising you. Don't panic and press return to home in haste. That might not end well depending on where you are and how close you are to your home point. Land manually. I'm not sure why anybody would want to take off or land auto.

This times a million, I've flow RC planes, small drones and helis but I approached this thing like I'd never flown until I was very comfortable with how it flies. I did a bunch of short flights in a field in my yard gently and back to a marked H manually, visual line of sight (no camera peeking) you may need to do this at some point. Emergency landings and such should be reflex/instinct when other peoples health and property might be involved with your toy.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel