New Guy needing advice

Well for a novice that was kind of confusing however I got the drift and I intended to play around with this so thanks [emoji106]

On another note has anyone had any dealings with Drones For Less ?

Phil

I think they are are a US based company , so the issue is warranty support if your outside the US, I would say they are grey marketing.
Google map their address, this is a bit of a red flag

Google Maps

DronesForLess.co.uk are they legit?

Hi Bob
For sure when I become confident enough I'd like to be able to waypoint flight so again another reason to purchase the pro only.
Not to mention I'll save around £200

I have an iPad Air 2 is there a mount available for this ?
Phil: I would suggest you start out with DJI Go (DJI's own software), until you learn the ropes a bit, and determine your drone is A-ok. Use of 3rd party software might cause some problems if you crash right out of the box (unless you can prove hardware failure).

Phil: I would suggest you start out with DJI Go (DJI's own software), until you learn the ropes a bit, and determine your drone is A-ok. Use of 3rd party software might cause some problems if you crash right out of the box (unless you can prove hardware failure).

Until I get to grips with flying my p4p on the proper software I wouldn't consider using 3rd party apps.
I've got a massive challenge ahead of me and if I master it on the proper dji app then I can move on to more advanced software.

Again thanks for the advice, all advice is truly appreciated.

Phil

Just lost my license flying the real thing so, I am just about to venture into a new hobby!
But with all the research I've done I'm still a little confused !

I'm about to buy a P4 as my first ever drone but my dilemma is do I buy the Pro or the Pro + ?
If anyone can share their knowledge with me I'd be grateful.

Thanks in Advance

Phil
I would advise you to go with the P4pro with an apple tablet...I have been in the Communications Business for 40+ yrs. I have seen apple grow from nothing to what they are now. I have been dead against Apple because they are so proprietary with everything. I started off with Android and have had nothing but problems. I bit the bullet and bought a apple tablet and have had ZERO PROBLEMS. the 9.7 inch tablet is perfect for your use. Try and find a buddy who will fly with you, it's much more fun....Good Luck Sir and happy Flying...

I would advise you to go with the P4pro with an apple tablet...I have been in the Communications Business for 40+ yrs. I have seen apple grow from nothing to what they are now. I have been dead against Apple because they are so proprietary with everything. I started off with Android and have had nothing but problems. I bit the bullet and bought a apple tablet and have had ZERO PROBLEMS. the 9.7 inch tablet is perfect for your use. Try and find a buddy who will fly with you, it's much more fun....Good Luck Sir and happy Flying...

Thanks for this [emoji106]

Your dead right there my friend, for that reason iv now ordered the p4pro. Can't wait to start flying it.
Iv downloaded litchi on my air 2 already
Don't get sucked into updating the craft/RC firmware when DJI asks you to. There are huge reasons not to use firmware released after June 2017 with the P4P. If you update your drone you can't go back like in the past, DJI stopped that option. However this forum doesn't like us talking about this subject, about all the cool things you can do with prior firmware. Just search YouTube for "Phantom parameter modifications" to learn more.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
@Phil Derrick , this is good advice from Techcop, spend your time insuring you have a good P4P. Since DJI doesn't test their craft there's a high percentage of craft that ship with defects, problems right out of the box. Here's a list of things to check. If your vendor will exchange your craft for another one if you find something wrong, that's a good option. Otherwise you'll wait a few weeks from DJI for them to exchange or repair it. WEEKS!

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
@Phil Derrick , this is good advice from Techcop, spend your time insuring you have a good P4P. Since DJI doesn't test their craft there's a high percentage of craft that ship with defects, problems right out of the box. Here's a list of things to check. If your vendor will exchange your craft for another one if you find something wrong, that's a good option. Otherwise you'll wait a few weeks from DJI for them to exchange or repair it. WEEKS!

Hi John

Thanks for highlighting these known issues, certainly worth sharing this knowledge.
I just wish I knew about all this before I placed the order on the p4p, this information has put the wind up me a little and sort of regretting ordering it lol
Hopefully I receive a good one !
Don't really want to start my new hobby on the wrong foot

Phil:
I doubt you will have any issues, provided you read the manual and watch the videos DJI has on their website. Most people don't even look around for a board like this unless they have issues, so your overall view of the P4P can be a bit skewed, to say the least. Take your time, enjoy. I'll bet you will be happy with your purchase.

Phil:
I doubt you will have any issues, provided you read the manual and watch the videos DJI has on their website. Most people don't even look around for a board like this unless they have issues, so your overall view of the P4P can be a bit skewed, to say the least. Take your time, enjoy. I'll bet you will be happy with your purchase.

Well I'm very excited about this new hobby seeing as I can't fly the real thing anymore this will come a very close second best. Hopefully

There are a lot of things to think about and a lot of suggestions given. Don't do anything to put your phantom out of warranty. It's a big investment for me. I checked my phantom 4 carefully before I did anything. I went through the start up and checked everything step by step. I flew it close by and went through everything. You need to understand what is normal. After everything checked out good, then I did my updates. I knew what was normal. Update took 45 minutes which had me concerned. It all checked out fine. My p4 flies flawlessly. No need for any mods whatever. I'm very happy as with most people that did the updates. I did updates so I don't void my warranty if something did go wrong. I love the range I get. I love the performance all around. I have a few little picks with DJI. You can't make everybody happy. They do make great drones or they wouldn't be on top. If there was a better drone for you money, buy it. I get the most for my money by sticking with DJI. I'm a poor boy and always wanted to fly. I get my kicks by being able to fly and I love photography. Have Fun!

Reactions: Techcop50
There are a lot of things to think about and a lot of suggestions given. Don't do anything to put your phantom out of warranty. It's a big investment for me. I checked my phantom 4 carefully before I did anything. I went through the start up and checked everything step by step. I flew it close by and went through everything. You need to understand what is normal. After everything checked out good, then I did my updates. I knew what was normal. Update took 45 minutes which had me concerned. It all checked out fine. My p4 flies flawlessly. No need for any mods whatever. I'm very happy as with most people that did the updates. I did updates so I don't void my warranty if something did go wrong. I love the range I get. I love the performance all around. I have a few little picks with DJI. You can't make everybody happy. They do make great drones or they wouldn't be on top. If there was a better drone for you money, buy it. I get the most for my money by sticking with DJI. I'm a poor boy and always wanted to fly. I get my kicks by being able to fly and I love photography. Have Fun!

Great mate thanks. I can't wait

I think the issue with DJI is reliability , you can have a great drone for 100 flights but all of a sudden there is a glitch from a new software or firmware upgrade and it flies away, but I guess that is the risk with all drones.

The mindset you need to have is that you can afford to loose it, otherwise you won't use it to it's full capability. It's just a consumable which will need to be replaced at some point

I think the issue with DJI is reliability , you can have a great drone for 100 flights but all of a sudden there is a glitch from a new software or firmware upgrade and it flies away, but I guess that is the risk with all drones.

The mindset you need to have is that you can afford to loose it, otherwise you won't use it to it's full capability. It's just a consumable which will need to be replaced at some point

Yes I agree I just hope I get a lot of fun from it before it decides to elope.

Don't worry you will do fine. I'm a newbie to just try to remember what these guy's say. I did watch a lot of YouTube (and I mean A LOT) you will learn the P4p is a good one to start with. Don't get carried away and because you can fly 2 miles doesn't mean you have to. I keep mine in site and I try not to get distracted. Just have fun it will come to you.

Reactions: Phil Derrick
Hi There i have two p4s both thd standard and p4p+ bith excellent machines. Its definely worth getting insurance. Speak to Noel st FlyIcarus. They will actually cover both you and your bird. If not then join the bmfa, you get basic cover as standard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94